5 minutely event view error - windows cannot access the fi..

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Afternoon

I have installed from scratch 2 windows 2000 server machines. Updated
the servers to SP4.

Installed active directory on the first server. Created a new domain,
in a new forest. Added the second windows 2000 server and a domain
controller.

The only errors i noticed related to there being no time server for the
master browser. Started the time service and pointed it at reliable
time server, both domain servers now keeping good time.

A few hours later I started getting the error message below every 5
minutes in the application log in event viewer.

"Source: Userenv
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO. The file must be
present at the location <>. (). Group Policy processing aborted"

I ran gpotool which reported errors with the domain policies. Ran
recreateDefPol to return the policies back to default. Ran gpotool
again and the policies were reported as ok.

Still got the error messages. Stopped and started the file replication
service on both domain controllers just to see if this would help. STill
getting the error messages.

Rang netdiag and dc diag - both reported everything as 'passed'

Gpt.ini and the two other required folders are there for each policy.
The permissions appear to be ok for sysvol on each domain controller

Anyone have any ideas?
Should there there a path in the between the arrows where it says 'the
file must be present at the location <>'?

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Having looked at this again

Event 1000 errors normally look like this:

"Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domian.
The file must be present at the location
\\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\{GUID}\gpt.ini>.
(Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted."

Where as my error message is missing the LDAP path and path to the
gpt.ini file on teh domain controller:

"windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO. The file must be
present at the location <>. (). Group Policy processing aborted"

I have looked at the group policy snap in and it shows:

Default Domain Controllers Policy
Default Domain Policy

Where can I find this 'blank' policy and get rid of it to stop the
eventviewer error messages every 5 minutes??

none wrote:
> Afternoon
>
> I have installed from scratch 2 windows 2000 server machines. Updated
> the servers to SP4.
>
> Installed active directory on the first server. Created a new domain,
> in a new forest. Added the second windows 2000 server and a domain
> controller.
>
> The only errors i noticed related to there being no time server for the
> master browser. Started the time service and pointed it at reliable
> time server, both domain servers now keeping good time.
>
> A few hours later I started getting the error message below every 5
> minutes in the application log in event viewer.
>

> "Source: Userenv
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO. The file must be
> present at the location <>. (). Group Policy processing aborted"
>
> I ran gpotool which reported errors with the domain policies. Ran
> recreateDefPol to return the policies back to default. Ran gpotool
> again and the policies were reported as ok.
>
> Still got the error messages. Stopped and started the file replication
> service on both domain controllers just to see if this would help. STill
> getting the error messages.
>
> Rang netdiag and dc diag - both reported everything as 'passed'
>
> Gpt.ini and the two other required folders are there for each policy.
> The permissions appear to be ok for sysvol on each domain controller
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
> Should there there a path in the between the arrows where it says 'the
> file must be present at the location <>'?

I'm have the same issue that you are experiencing.

I have been able to resolve many of the errors by changing the security
properties in the folders contained in the SYSVOL folder on the domain
controllers.

Have you had any luck in resolving this issue?

--
casadyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access