Should I Rename My Domain?

I've posted this on the dns group as well...

I manage the network at our office (~15 clients using a Windows 2000
server). We have a Instant Internet Router which shares the internet
connection (DSL) to the clients and server. On the router I've listed
the DNS servers of our ISP. DHCP is handled by the server (Range
10.0.0.x):

10.0.0.2 - DHCP and File Server (Windows 2000 Server)
10.0.0.4 - Instant Internet Router
10.0.0.5 > 10.0.0.99 Address Pool for Clients with a couple of
exceptions

When I type ipconfig /all on a client I get:
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.4
DHCP Sever: 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers: 10.0.0.2
Which I set up in the DHCP (I think)

We have our email and web page hosted through a third party company
(not our isp). Our address is in the form of xxx.ca.

When we first got our server and software, I really did not know much
about networks. After fiddling with it I finally got it to work (i.e.
clients can log on, see a bunch of shared directories and printers,
connect to the internet etc).

When I set it up I gave the server the name "xxxserver" and the called
the domaing "xxxdomain". Note I do not have any dots in the domain
name. After doing some recent reading, I have found that I should have
named the server "xxx.local".

My Problem. Every couple of days we loose access to our webpage and
email (the rest of the internet works fine). I contacted our hosting
company and they said everything was OK on their end. In fact he got a
number of people around the world the check and everyone could access
it. That lead me to believe the problem was local (either internal or
with our ISP).

It happened again last week while I was away and one of the guys in the
office rebooted the server. That seemed to bring it back up. That
lead me to believe that the problem was with our internal network.
Perhaps the DNS is not working correctly? Can you see why, with my
current setup, this may be occuring? Would renaming my domain to
xxx.local be a good start? It would not be that big of a deal as there
are only about 10 users. I'm not sure if I have DNS set up correctly
on the server.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Hi,

First to make sure one thing: on your server (probably you have one which is
your DC) its DNS entry is pointing to the DNS server 10.0.0.2 (ie pointing
to itself), and in DNS server it forwards the dns requests to your ISP DNS.

For more information about your single lable DNS name, take a look at the
article.

Information about configuring Windows for domains with single-label DNS
names
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684

br,
Denis