Sign in with
Your question

My 805d setup--can someone identify the weak spot?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2006 9:35:39 PM

Hello hardwarers!

So I jumped onto the OC ship and have the 805d CPU and am running it as we speak. I have read ridiculous amounts on the overclocking process, ideas etc--yet some grey areas remain, particularly because of a few components I have. So I'd appreciate any help from those wiser than I.

Here is my setup
CPU: Pentium 805d at 2600 @3000mhz currently
Memory: 2gigs PC-3200 DDR400 OCZ Platinum memory(not ddr2)
Cooliung: Liquid cooling system
Motherboard: Asus P5VDC-X
Video: PCI Express Radeon x1800xt
Power Supplly: 520w
Dog: Puggle

The Problem:
I cannot get the system above 155FSB to boot.

The Quandry:
The motherboard is wonderful for overclocking everything but voltage! So I'm stuck at the default voltage. All things considered, I believe this is what my problem is. There is some way to bridge a couple pins to manually set the voltage to 1.5, but I haven't found pictures or know how to do that exactly.

Another question is my memory. I notice all the PC's running at around 4ghz have pc 600+ type of memory, except, according to everything I've read, max 200mhz is required which my OCZ tech support confirmed twice that my memory is capable of doing this overclock.

I have also read some memory timing settings, which I tried, and I also tried to lock the AGP/PCI (as was a suggestion). The result was that nothing I did could get it above 155.

So here are my questions directly!
1. Is my memory sufficient to reach 4ghz (ie, 200mhzx20)
2. Do you think my problem is now the voltage setting?
3. What does AGP/PCI speed have to do with anything here?
4. Why is anyone using pc800+ etc if pc3200 is fully capable of this? Dont' virtually all CPU's run from 133-233mhz fsbx some multiple?

I would appreciate any help with this! In my local and extended group of friends, I'm the only one that seems to know about computers..boo!..

Thanks!

Ethan

More about : 805d setup identify weak spot

July 20, 2006 10:11:17 PM

The fact that you're using an Asus P5VDC-X which only has 1 PCIe slot that runs at 4x, or that you're using an 805 instead of the slightly more expensive 930. If you really want to hit 4GHz you'll need a good 975X board, not the Asus P5VDC-X. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but too many people saw tom's review and thought they'd be able to do it themselves, when hitting 4GHz is no easy task on a 90nm based processor with basic air cooling.

Either way, get a new motherboard; PCIe 4x is going to hurt the performance of your X1800XT.
July 20, 2006 10:17:17 PM

What is your power supply?

The other thing is that if you think this motherboard is wonderful for OCing, wiat until you get a real OC board.

If you have no voltage adjustments, this is not an OCing motherboard.
July 20, 2006 10:23:55 PM

Hi,

Lps,

My power supply is a 520 watt enermax
Unfortunately the ASUS web site said it DID have voltage changing capabilities. It does not, which was an unpleasant surprize. I'm very ok with just connecting a few pins though, just need to figure out the pins ;) 

Heyyou27,

couple things,

What does 1 PCIe slot have to do with overclocking it to 4ghz?

Second--when I purchased the motherboard I did a lot of research on motherboards that are capable of overclocking it. There was a variety of motherboards which successfully did this; many were also in the 3.6-4.0 range, even MSI boards did it. The ASUS I have had a decent amount of successful 3-4k range overclocks.

Lastly, I'm using liquid cooling.

Thanks for the input!

E
July 20, 2006 10:29:15 PM

Bottom line is, without voltage adjustment, I don't believe you can get to 3.8GHz, let alone 4GHz.

I had an Asrock board with the same problem, no voltage and could only get it to 167FSB.
July 20, 2006 10:32:55 PM

Quote:
Heyyou27,

couple things,

What does 1 PCIe slot have to do with overclocking it to 4ghz?

Second--when I purchased the motherboard I did a lot of research on motherboards that are capable of overclocking it. There was a variety of motherboards which successfully did this; many were also in the 3.6-4.0 range, even MSI boards did it. The ASUS I have had a decent amount of successful 3-4k range overclocks.

Lastly, I'm using liquid cooling.
Once again, even though your PCIe slot may not affect overclocking, it will bottleneck your X1800 XT. I sincerely recommend upgrading to a different motherboard that supports true PCIe 16x slots and has the ability to adjust your voltage if you ever wish to go above 3GHz.
July 20, 2006 10:33:31 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Lps,

My power supply is a 520 watt enermax
Unfortunately the ASUS web site said it DID have voltage changing capabilities. It does not, which was an unpleasant surprize. I'm very ok with just connecting a few pins though, just need to figure out the pins ;) 

E

AS long as it is a true power PSU at 520 it should be heaps, so it shouldn't be your PSU.
July 20, 2006 10:37:56 PM

I have read the reviews about this and thought of doing the same myself .
However as already stated you did not stick with a recomended motherboard.
I would get the Asus board specified and see if you get better results.
July 20, 2006 11:03:27 PM

Well,

The reason I overclock is the peroformance per cost ratio; the motherboard specified is in the 200+ dollar range and this motherboard was 59.00. It doesn't seem consistant in my overclocking mind that one would go for a cheap CPU as to save money and get performance, yet buy a 250$ motherboard.

So thats the reason I didn't go with their super one :) 

E
July 20, 2006 11:15:05 PM

Quote:
Well,

The reason I overclock is the peroformance per cost ratio; the motherboard specified is in the 200+ dollar range and this motherboard was 59.00. It doesn't seem consistant in my overclocking mind that one would go for a cheap CPU as to save money and get performance, yet buy a 250$ motherboard.

E

Agree with you thats why I used :

Asus P5ND2-SLI
July 20, 2006 11:18:53 PM

Quote:
Well,

E

well the price of the motherboard is not an issue you could of grabbed a $60 ecs 945P and could of gotton to 3.8~4.0ghz. even though its an ecs it has all the ocing options you need. Most importantly fsb adjust and VOLTAGE.
without the voltage adjustments you're kind of stuck.

I would like to see the pin mod you speak of myself, i never heard of one for lga775

with stock voltage i could not get any of my d805 past 3.5ghz and still be prime stable.
July 20, 2006 11:24:56 PM

Thanks for the ideas..

return it huh?

the reason I actually got this motherboard was because it supports DDR1 and DDR2, this allowed me to keep my current memory since its pretty nice.

Well, Maybe i'll have to RMA it then, I'm going to go research mobo's that support DDR1 and still be possible to OC.

Any of the top of your heads?

I didn't realize my x1800xt would be limited either; that concerns me.

thanks again!

E
July 20, 2006 11:28:18 PM

None that are going to OC well. You are trying to mix old with new and it just doesn't work.

If you want the use DDR and PCIE, then change to a x2 AMD Socket 939 setup.

Otherwise sell your DDR RMA the motherboard and move on.
July 20, 2006 11:35:59 PM

Wow this all kinda sucks!

Ok..so then, I RMA this motherboard, sell my PC3200, get a P5ND2-SLI ATX motherboard and some ram with more cajones?

Oye!

hah...this is turning into a bit of a project. Ebay the best place to sell my ram?

E
July 20, 2006 11:38:38 PM

Blah, just wait for an e6300 and conroe motherboard reviews, it will do you better.
July 20, 2006 11:47:33 PM

I am not saying that you should rush out and get this board. I liked it because it had some good OCing features for the $$$.

I am just saying that if you want to keep the D805 and have some fun OCing, it is probably time to move to DDR2 and a true OCing motherboard.

Remember, if you want a board that will do conroe down the track, you need a new 965 or 975 board.
July 20, 2006 11:55:06 PM

Quote:
Id say the weak spot is the processor. :lol: 
Crawl back into the hole you came out of. These people are trying to help him and you are spreading you mindless poison. Be gone!
July 21, 2006 12:12:23 AM

Quote:
Id say the weak spot is the processor. :lol: 
I agree; a Pentium D 930 would be much better. :lol: 
July 21, 2006 12:28:53 AM

ok ok I'm keeping the 805!

But! I will do this---I'll RMA what I have and buy new RAM. I figure I'll get the 667 ddr2 stuff from OCZ, I've had good experiences with them..(and their rebates heh heh heh)

So I'll wait one day and see if anyone has a better mobo suggestion than the Asus P5ND2-SLI as mentioned above.

I'm not too worried about future conroe upgrades since I won't be upgrading from this for probably 3 years..until I'm out of dental school probably!

So! New ram, new mobo. Then I'll be all set no?

E
July 21, 2006 12:42:16 AM

You'll be all set. :) 
!