Core 2 Duo has messed up my plans

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Aaaaargh! After months of watching CPU prices, reading hardware reviews, gaming forums, consumer reports, etc. I finally decided on the configuration for my new computer build.

Ultra Aluminus clear sided case with 550 W Ultra X2 modular power supply.
MSI KN8 Diamond Plus socket 939 motherboard with Creative audio on board.
AMD CPU (3700, or 3800X2 depending on price, with intent to upgrade to FX series when prices slashed)
2 X 160 Gb Maxtor hard drives in RAID 0 configuration
2Gb DDR (2x1024)
DVD burner
EVGA 7900GTX video card
Fancy LED fans, and other geek impressing materials.

However, suddenly, the MSI motherboard is out of stock, or not even listed on any of my supplier sites (Canada). What the…..??

Oh well, the ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo will have to do in a pinch.

BUT NO!!!! Don’t actually order the damn thing, because NOW you have to think about Core 2 which is outperforming the FX series AMD processor you were going to upgrade to when the prices drop. Crap!!

So now what do I do. The whole point of this build was to avoid having another low… frame…… rate…… computer…… to …… play…… ad…. vanced …. games…. on…..

So, do I wait for another 6 months for the Core 2 CPUs and mobos to become available at a price above my current budget? Or do I build the computer I wanted to build, and just not read Toms Hardware reviews for a couple of years?

Or, build an AMD based computer with a super cheap mobo, and CPU, wait a year, and then chuck them into someone else’s computer under the guise of “an upgrade” and then buy a Core 2 mobo and CPU to add to my setup????

Or, go outside. Take a walk. Read a book. Hmmmm….

HELP!! Before I get a life and leave this computer addiction behind.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Why should you care if there is a faster CPU out there? If you want your system now, get it now; if you really want the best possible performance, wait for the Core 2 Duo. I myself am still quite satisfied with my CPU after a year of use and don’t plan on upgrading until Kentsfield or K8L.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
What was your budget for the mobo/CPU/RAM. If you were considering the x2 3800 at the prices its been pegged at (i.e. $297) you can probably fit a conroe into that slot sometime in August if your willing to settle for one of the 2MB models (the better 6600 model will probably run $350 +-$10). Hopefully by late August you'll be able to find a decent Mobo under $100 (AsRock has one). Frankly if you were planning on upgrade to an FX later I would take that money and put it toward Conroe, for a few extra $$ more than the current price of your AMD build you can get a good Conroe build.

Substitute E6600 +$60
Different low end Mobo +40
DDR RAM +0-200 (depending on the speed/timings you are looking for)

Since you didn't list your budget its hard to say but basically you can do Conroe for little more than the current price of the parts you listed. *Shrug* I wouldn't bother considering docket 939 unless you already have the RAM as it has no upgrade path and the current prices do not give enough of a discount. Of course you could do a cheap AM2 build after the price cuts... the performance isn't there, but its an option.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Or, build an AMD based computer with a super cheap mobo, and CPU, wait a year, and then chuck them into someone else’s computer under the guise of “an upgrade” and then buy a Core 2 mobo and CPU to add to my setup????
Or build an Intel based computer with a decent mobo, but a cheap CPU, wait a year, and then chuck the 805 that you've ragged the nuts off and throw in a Conroe!

Sure, Conroe will blow the Athlon out of the water. But that doesn't mean the FX-62, which will give you 60FPS in Oblivion today, will somehow magically drop to 20FPS once Conroe comes out. The Conroe will simply be faster that's all.

If you want to be on the absolute cutting edge then get a Conroe. If you are tired of comparing CPUs again then just go with whatever system you had in mind. The CPU will be just as fast tomorrow as it is today.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Whatever you build, something better will be out 6 months down the road.
This will hold true for a long long time. Get used to it.

If that's your dream computer, just go build it!
If you're going to wait, then just wait!

Only you can decide what you want. Read the reviews of conroe and just ask yourself what you want to do.

If I was in your position, I'd just get whichever conroe fit into your CPU budget and go from there. It would probably outperform the 3800x2 anyways. Its only another week or two before they'll probably be available for retail.

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
the processor you want is the same its always been. Its not like Intel came and lowerd its clockspeed. It will perform just as well as it would have if conroe diddnt come out

dont worry about conroe, unless you think the processor you wanted wouldnt fill all of your needs

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
basically...u can get an E6600 which outperforms the fx-62 for about half the price. to me...thats what it really comes down to.....which is y im getting an e6600 lol

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Here is my advice:

Jack and Coke 1 part Jack Daniels and 1 part Coke. Add ice.

High ball - 1 part scotch 1 part ginger ale for a good kick. Add ice.

Manhattan - 1 part Whiskey and 1 part vermouth. Add ice.

Drink one of each over the course of 30 minutes, preferably with friends. This should be your first step.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Hope this helps.

Performance-to-price chart. The lines corresponds to the individual cpus. The cpu that has lines more angle or closer to the performance value or the left side is the better cpu in terms of performance-to-price ratio at stock.

The X2 3800 has good performce-to-price ratio so it's a good choice if you plan to buy it.

cme2c

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Here is my advice:

Jack and Coke 1 part Jack Daniels and 1 part Coke. Add ice.

High ball - 1 part scotch 1 part ginger ale for a good kick. Add ice.

Manhattan - 1 part Whiskey and 1 part vermouth. Add ice.

Drink one of each over the course of 30 minutes, preferably with friends. This should be your first step.

Ah, Blofeld. Your solution may be ok for the odd job. Try a Martini, dry, skaken, not stirred. Then you will be on your way to Pussy Galore.

Signed 007

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
lol this guy is funny.

core 2 duo has helped my plans. now i can get 3800+ for half the price and then upgrade in a year or two maybe. funny how 2 cores cant do 100% performance it "suppose" to do in the first place.

can someone get a dual core and notice double the speed from a single core?
if core 2 hurts your plans go with amd. thats what im doing and it makes prices cheap. unless of course intel keeps there deal and there processors will be the price they "say" and there mobos are able to keep up with amd price/performance ratio. if and onl if go with intel.

well there goes my words to the wise :)

msi boards are NOT sold out everywhere. check a couple of places and google if u must.

another thing, are you not happy that amd got there prices slashed by intel? i would be thanking intel for doing that because i always thought it was horrible for ANYONE to waste money like that on a fx processor let alone an amd processor that costs hella $.

just chill with the pc ur using right now and wait for them to come in stock.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I think you should go with what you at first planned. Me, I was gonna get an AMD system this summer, and I'm still gonna do it. I was talked into getting an AM2 system from of a friend, mostly because there will be upgradability, and I already have nice ddr2 ram. I'm not worried about getting the best of the best, and it's not like conroe being out makes my system any less of a system, in fact it makes it better since amd is doing price cuts which will let me get a better cpu.

One big thing that keeps me going on AM2 is the fact that EVERYONE is talking about Conroe. The cpu architecture is god, we get it now. It seems in these forums for a while that every question that someone asked ended up in someone saying "GET CONROE!!!!". I've ranted a few times about this to my friends, and my hatred for uber fanboys keeps me on am2, as well as I've always wanted an amd system. I'm gonna get whatever am2 I can afford, as well as a 7600 or something like that and I already ahve the ram, I'll get it in an antec p180 with a custom made water cooling setup I'm making right now. Just don't let conroe deter you from what you wanted, there's always gonna be something better coming out sometime, and this system will definetally not suck. :wink:

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
build an Intel based computer with a decent mobo, but a cheap CPU, wait a year, and then chuck the 805 that you've ragged the nuts off and throw in a Conroe!

OOOOOHH! never thought of that! Buy a sota (state of the art) Intel mobo, put an 805 in it, overclock it until my toast is burned, and then replace it with a Core duo later...... That way, I can impress the gals.... well, okay maybe other geeks, with my overclocking, and then I already have the DDR2, etc. and only have to buy the CPU.......

Then again, if I build AMD, I support the underdog (competition), and keep CPU prices low, and tech advancements necessary. Man! ethical dilemma hits computer geekdom.....

Vacillate..........

cme2c

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I have to upgrade. My 6 year old k6/2 500 on win98 still runs fine and copes with the business use (database client, word processing, email, browsing) but with win98 support ending and increasing loss of support from other vendors (eg ZoneAlarm, Acrobat7) I will get a machine that will run Vista aero.

I have been an AMD fan (NOT fanboy) since my 386 DX40 which would outrun 486's. AMD used higher core speeds and a small cache to improve out of date architecture.

I am waiting until some real world feedback happens, although at this stage I am thinking either Conroe, or a Conroe capable m/b with an overclocked 805D, and bump up the processor when the dust settles.

Against this is the fact that I can get a Conroe 6300 for about what an 805D plus Zalman 9500 would cost.

It's worse than buying a car.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I have to upgrade. My 6 year old k6/2 500 on win98 still runs fine and copes with the business use (database client, word processing, email, browsing) but with win98 support ending and increasing loss of support from other vendors (eg ZoneAlarm, Acrobat7) I will get a machine that will run Vista aero.

I have been an AMD fan (NOT fanboy) since my 386 DX40 which would outrun 486's. AMD used higher core speeds and a small cache to improve out of date architecture.

I am waiting until some real world feedback happens, although at this stage I am thinking either Conroe, or a Conroe capable m/b with an overclocked 805D, and bump up the processor when the dust settles.

Against this is the fact that I can get a Conroe 6300 for about what an 805D plus Zalman 9500 would cost.

It's worse than buying a car.

M8 pke xdnt ban me i am so sori bout herhe racist cometn i made,. im soo pissed rite noe

Lamy

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I am in the exact same situation. However, I decided to wait for the Conroe based on the fact that I could get a better performing CPU for the same price as that AMD I was going to buy. The mobo cost will cost me abit more but I figure that I can make it up by slowly buying my parts as they become onsale. Already my BFG 7900GT price lowered by 40 bucks and then another 20 with a MIB. In any case, if you get a Conroe now you will be getting a great computer, if you get the AMD AM2 you will be also getting a great computer today with possible AM3 upgrades... any way you look at it you win!