First build questions...

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Ok, I'll be building my first computer as soon as I get more Core 2 Duo E6300.

I already have all the parts configured and ready to order. I just have two questions (well, three).

1a. After I hook everything up (assuming I do it correctly) and power on the system for the first time, I should be taken to the main menu from the mobo, right? (If yes, go to 1b please)

1b. From there, I go into the bio and change the boot device to my optical drive (because my HD is empty) and install Windows and after Windows installs, I should be good to go, right?

2. I can't help but work on carpet. Our whole house is carpeted besides the kitchen and washing room but there's no room to work in those two rooms. Where should I work on this?:(

Never done this before so excuse the potentially stupid questions.:lol:

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I will answer your questions in order....

You must press "delete" or some other key in order to enter bios... this is different for different bios / motherboard manufacturers sometimes but most use delete.

Once in yes you must change the boot order to CD first and put the windows cd in before you reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you to "press any key to boot from cd" do so.

If you only have carpet then take your case box apart and put it on the floor to work from. Make sure you touch the case before getting to work to release any static build up.

Once windows starts booting you will have to choose a partition to install windows on, this is when you want to create any partitions. You want partitions if you only have one drive so that if your OS goes screwy and you want to reinstall windows you don't have to worry about your data such as mp3's, pictures, movies... etc. I usually use a 40% OS/programs and 60% data but the choice is yours (60gb is the minimum I use for OS). Create the OS partition first by choosing it's size, once done choose to partition what's left and just use the default (some will not be partitionable this is normal, usually 8-10gb). Then install the OS on the C partition.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Ok, thank you. That answered most of my questions.

One more question, about the partitioning. I will have a SATA HD which I'll be using as my main HD and then I plan to add my IDE HD (via a IDE to SATA bridge- I know it'll run very slow but...) after I get everything up and running.

Can I split the SATA HD into two partitions: one for OS/apps and the other for data? If so, when I go to reinstall XP, will the data partition of the SATA HD and everything in the IDE HD be safe or will those be removed as well?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Ok, thank you. That answered most of my questions.

One more question, about the partitioning. I will have a SATA HD which I'll be using as my main HD and then I plan to add my IDE HD (via a IDE to SATA bridge- I know it'll run very slow but...) after I get everything up and running.

Can I split the SATA HD into two partitions: one for OS/apps and the other for data? If so, when I go to reinstall XP, will the data partition of the SATA HD and everything in the IDE HD be safe or will those be removed as well?

Why not just plug the IDE into the IDE controller on your new motherboard?

You can partition the drive into as many partitions as you want and format them independant of each other. All data will be safe.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Well, I was told that putting any two devices on one IDE may hurt performance these days due to the higher amount of data being transfered now than in the past (ie, DVD-ROMs today vs. CD-ROMs of yesteryear).

And it seems that every mobo maker is determined to phase out IDE even though SATA optical drives have proved to be a hit or miss.:?

Well, I was told that putting any two devices on one IDE may hurt performance these days due to the higher amount of data being transfered now than in the past (ie, DVD-ROMs today vs. CD-ROMs of yesteryear).

And it seems that every mobo maker is determined to phase out IDE even though SATA optical drives have proved to be a hit or miss.:?

250 gig SATA HD's are going for like $90, 160 gig SATA drives are less. I would get a seperate SATA HD for my OS and another SATA for storage and forget about the IDE drive. You could buy and external inclosure and hook up your old IDE drive through the USB to access it.

Lose the IDE-SATA adapter. Plugging the IDE hard drive and the optical drive into the same IDE channel will only hurt performance while trying to read or write to both the drives at the same time. Install your OS and all of your applications to the SATA hd and use the IDE hd for backup. Then this shouldn't be a problem.