WinXP Home freezes at Startup

I have a Compaq laptop that is freezing during the boot cycle. I see the
Bios info, the screen goes black and the Windows XP Home Edition logo
appears with the three, green squared progress indicator. That disappears
and the blue logon screen appears, darker blue at the top and bottom and
lighter blue in the middle with a smaller WinXP logo right of center.

It freezes at this point. We do not see anything indicating it is loading
any settings, nor do we see the opportunity to choose a user. When this
happened the first time, we slaved the drive into another system and
transfered the data off, then started over to remove some of the Compaq
baggage that came with the system. We would like to avoid doing that again.

It starts the same going into safe mode as well. Starting using the last
known good configuration yields the same result.

Any insight into this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Dan
1 answer Last reply
More about winxp home freezes startup

    Assuming your system came with Windows XP, it sounds as though something
    proprietary on the setup is causing a problem. If the system is still under
    warranty, I suggest you contact Compaq for help with this issue.

    If you don't have a retail version of Windows XP, in other words you have a
    disk supplied by Compaq and the disk is essentially a recovery disk, it
    likely doesn't have any of the tools that would allow for a repair install
    option and that leaves you with only whatever recovery procedure Compaq has
    included.

    If you can get to the desktop, not safe mode but the actual XP desktop,
    there are some diagnostics you can perform as follows. NOTE: usually,
    issues such as you describe are caused by some hardware conflict or possibly
    dated or corrupted hardware drivers, necessitating reinstall of the drivers
    or updating from the device manufacturer's website.

    Below are fairly standard instructions for trying to diagnose the source of
    issues such as you describe:
    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "-" <dspamnourbane@novoyagerspam.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq laptop that is freezing during the boot cycle. I see the
    > Bios info, the screen goes black and the Windows XP Home Edition logo
    > appears with the three, green squared progress indicator. That disappears
    > and the blue logon screen appears, darker blue at the top and bottom and
    > lighter blue in the middle with a smaller WinXP logo right of center.
    >
    > It freezes at this point. We do not see anything indicating it is loading
    > any settings, nor do we see the opportunity to choose a user. When this
    > happened the first time, we slaved the drive into another system and
    > transfered the data off, then started over to remove some of the Compaq
    > baggage that came with the system. We would like to avoid doing that
    > again.
    >
    > It starts the same going into safe mode as well. Starting using the last
    > known good configuration yields the same result.
    >
    > Any insight into this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dan

Windows XP