Help: Problems after transfering files to new build

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Hi everyone,

Just built a computer for the first time and it went fairly smooth until I set up a home network to transfer files from my old comp. I used a crossover cable and despite the fact that both computers said the connection had "little to no connectivity" I was still able to share files.

Anyway, after I was done I unhooked the crossover cable and plugged my ethernet cable in to my new computer to use the internet and for the first couple minutes it was ok and I was online. But then, after a few minutes it looses all connection to the internet but I don't get any error messages or any "Little to no connectivity" messages. I tried shutting the computer down and it does the same thing-- when it boots back up I'm able to use the internet for a few minutes before it stops working.

I'm completely baffeled if anyone can give any clue as to the cause/solution of this I'd appreciate it.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi everyone,

Just built a computer for the first time and it went fairly smooth until I set up a home network to transfer files from my old comp. I used a crossover cable and despite the fact that both computers said the connection had "little to no connectivity" I was still able to share files.

Anyway, after I was done I unhooked the crossover cable and plugged my ethernet cable in to my new computer to use the internet and for the first couple minutes it was ok and I was online. But then, after a few minutes it looses all connection to the internet but I don't get any error messages or any "Little to no connectivity" messages. I tried shutting the computer down and it does the same thing-- when it boots back up I'm able to use the internet for a few minutes before it stops working.

I'm completely baffeled if anyone can give any clue as to the cause/solution of this I'd appreciate it.

1) Make sure all motherboard drivers are installed from the CD
2) Check the device manager for any errors on your NIC card
3) Are you sure the new cable isnt a crossover and just a normal patch? (I know I know, but sometimes the simplest things...)