Deleted groups

We are running a 2003 AD domain, getting rid of the 5.5 exchange servers
for 2003 servers. We finally cleaned one off, and with the information from
Microsoft, deleted the server. I'm not sure of the method, but here is what
blew up:
Over 200 mailboxes were "screwed" up - lost the user, users lost rights,
other goofy problems. These have been getting fixed. The bigger problem is
that we lost an unknown number of groups, they are just gone as if deleted.
There doesn't seem to be any reason as to why one was deleted, and another
was not. Any reasonable way to get some of the more important groups back?
Some were distribution, most were security groups, all were global.
If we can't undelete, I guess we will have to deal with that, also.

Thanks for any help
Randy Reimers

"" wrote:
> We are running a 2003 AD domain, getting rid of the 5.5
> exchange servers
> for 2003 servers. We finally cleaned one off, and with the
> information from
> Microsoft, deleted the server. I'm not sure of the method,
> but here is what
> blew up:
> Over 200 mailboxes were "screwed" up - lost the user, users
> lost rights,
> other goofy problems. These have been getting fixed. The
> bigger problem is
> that we lost an unknown number of groups, they are just gone
> as if deleted.
> There doesn't seem to be any reason as to why one was deleted,
> and another
> was not. Any reasonable way to get some of the more important
> groups back?
> Some were distribution, most were security groups, all were
> global.
> If we can't undelete, I guess we will have to deal with
> that, also.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Randy Reimers

See also: MS-KBQ840001_How to restore deleted user accounts and their
group memberships in Active Directory

free tools to undelete:
ADMOD from JOEWARE.NET
(http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/admod.htm)