Turning on Computer Problem

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,

I have had my computer for about a year now. I just upgraded my video card, power supply and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro, and all updates bios, security, etc.

My computer only takes 23 seconds from pressing the power button to have my desktop appear. Anyways for some reason about 1 out of every 4-5 times I turn on my computer, nothing happens. It powers up, and the fans are going, etc. but it doesnt boot up. My monitor says no signal and turns off. I have to reset the computer and then it boots up.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem? Anything I can do to fix this? Any tests I can run?

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Logitech MX518 - 1600 dpi Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech Media EliteBlack Wired Keyboard

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hello,

I have had my computer for about a year now. I just upgraded my video card, power supply and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro, and all updates bios, security, etc.

My computer only takes 23 seconds from pressing the power button to have my desktop appear. Anyways for some reason about 1 out of every 4-5 times I turn on my computer, nothing happens. It powers up, and the fans are going, etc. but it doesnt boot up. My monitor says no signal and turns off. I have to reset the computer and then it boots up.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem? Anything I can do to fix this? Any tests I can run?

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Logitech MX518 - 1600 dpi Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech Media EliteBlack Wired Keyboard

I had that same board before it blew up on me, and I have similar problems. Appearantly its not that great of a board. :(

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
So you think that it is the motherboard? Can you recommened a mother baord that isnt crossfire or sli for me to switch out?

Yeah.. the one I have now. I suggest it, because for the low price its actually a decent board, and you can upgrade to AM2 with the card below. It has both AGP and PCI-E if you have an old AGP card laying around you want to use for any reason. :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081
AsRock 939Dual-SATA2

AND for $32 (if you want)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813998603
AM2 upgrade for that motherboard.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
duck maybe right, i had a similar problem with a msi k8n neo4.
i could use the computer fine, <overclock play games etc.>
i could restart all day long but when i went to turn off.
bam! most of the time i had to reset the cmos to get it going agian
at the time it was all new everything. turns out it was the mobo.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Another thing to look at is the CMOS battery(ies). If they are on the verge of dying, this can happen as well.

Are you talking about the battery on the motherboard. the litte round silver battery?

Yeah that is what he is talking about.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Another thing to look at is the CMOS battery(ies). If they are on the verge of dying, this can happen as well.

Are you talking about the battery on the motherboard. the litte round silver battery?

Yeah that is what he is talking about.

Thanks,
I am going to replace the battery today. How long does those batteries usually last? Ihave had my motherboard for about 13 months.

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I agree, have seen problem before and it was mainboard. Although I doubt that its the BIOS battery.

Is your PC speaker working? The reason that I ask is that if its not working you may not be hearing an important error beep when your computer fails to boot. To test if its working pull out all your ram and try starting the PC. It should definately beep.

If the beeps aren't working, it could be that you have no speaker or its not pluged incorrectly. It could also be that you have a voice telling you the error message thru your speakers but they are turned off. You can switch off the voice and set it back to the beeps in your bios. That's if the mainboard has a voice function. Mine is an Asus mainboard with Via chipset and it has the voice.

Once you have the beeps working try to produce the fault again, and see what sort of beeps you get.

Then again maybe this is all bullshit and your beeps are working fine anyways.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Do you turn the beeps on in the bios menu? My speakers work perfectly fine. ALso Iforgot to mention that the only time that I am having this boot problem is when the computer has been off for more than 8 hours. Basically I have the power on issue on a cold start.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Do you turn the beeps on in the bios menu? My speakers work perfectly fine. ALso Iforgot to mention that the only time that I am having this boot problem is when the computer has been off for more than 8 hours. Basically I have the power on issue on a cold start.

Is this boot up failure damagaing my pc. or is it no big deal?

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
no, you can boot it like that all you want, it won't damage anything.

Thanks B diddy t for all your help. Yes it beeps when i take out the ram. But it didnt before when I have the boot problem. I am at work at wil lreplace the CMOS Battery tonight and I will keep you updated. IT is really strange that it only happens when my computer has been off for awhile. It it like it needs to warm up or something.

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I guess in that case I will have to vote for mainboard. Possibly Video Card.
If you can go back to your old video card and/or powersupply that would be a good test.

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
That's why I mentioned the CMOS battery as an option. Cold-starting after the caps have drained, he gets nothing, but after it has been on and the BIOS has turned on, it runs fine.

That leaves two options - CMOS battery or capacitors on the MB. If you're lucky, it's the former. If not, then just swap in an identical MB and reboot - your system will run as if mothing had happened.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
That's why I mentioned the CMOS battery as an option. Cold-starting after the caps have drained, he gets nothing, but after it has been on and the BIOS has turned on, it runs fine.

That leaves two options - CMOS battery or capacitors on the MB. If you're lucky, it's the former. If not, then just swap in an identical MB and reboot - your system will run as if mothing had happened.

SO far I am 3 for 3 on cold starts. I think the battery fixed it. PLekto I appreciate your help alot. Could you explain tin detail what you meant by capacitors on the MB , and its theformer? Coudl you tell me in detailed steps in exactly what to do or test to run. I dont know computers as much as I would like.

Thanks

Timothy