Canon IP4000 - overpriced?

Andy

Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to make
good regular use of it.

Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around

Epson R200 - £65.99
Epson R300 - £77.90
Canon IP4000 - £92.78

What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.

The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to be the
most expensive.

I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
features.

Andy wrote:
> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to make
> good regular use of it.
>
> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.

As a side note, I can't understand why printers are so much more
expensive in the UK. Converting Canadian Dollars to Pounds:

The R200 is in my sales flyer for £44 and the Canon iP4000, £65.
Mind you, North American Canons don't have the CD/DVD printing feature.
My own printer, the iP5000, currently goes for £87 (minus CD/DVD
printing).

-Taliesyn

"Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to
> make good regular use of it.
>
> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>
> The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to be
> the most expensive.
>
> I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
> features.

I guess it's all relative, I'm looking at the iP4000 and thought the ~£90
price was good -paid damn near twice that three years ago for my S630.

--
Derek

"Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to
> make good regular use of it.
>
> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>
> The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to be
> the most expensive.
>
> I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
> features.

The difference is only £15, you can very easily make that back with lower
running costs. Here's one view of Total Cost of Ownership:
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/printer-11.html

--
Derek

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to
>> make good regular use of it.
>>
>> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
>> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>>
>> Epson R200 - £65.99
>> Epson R300 - £77.90
>> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>>
>> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>>

> As a side note, I can't understand why printers are so much more
> expensive in the UK. Converting Canadian Dollars to Pounds:
>
> The R200 is in my sales flyer for £44 and the Canon iP4000, £65.
> Mind you, North American Canons don't have the CD/DVD printing feature.
> My own printer, the iP5000, currently goes for £87 (minus CD/DVD
> printing).

Are those prices with tax? If so, what rate?

--
Derek

"Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to
> make good regular use of it.
>
> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>
> The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to be
> the most expensive.
>
> I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
> features.

Just out of interest, where are those prices from?

--
Derek

Andy wrote:

>Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to make
>good regular use of it.
>
>Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
>can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
>Epson R200 - £65.99
>Epson R300 - £77.90
>Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
>What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>
>The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to be the
>most expensive.

Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
reason.

The Canon has twin paper feeds, prints full duplex automatically, is
much faster, the business document printing is much higher quality, and
the photo quality maybe marginally better. I think it is a better deal.

>I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
>features.

Andy

> Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
> known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
> have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
> reason.

I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
problems and love it.

> The Canon has twin paper feeds, prints full duplex automatically, is much
> faster, the business document printing is much higher quality, and the
> photo quality maybe marginally better. I think it is a better deal.

It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is rated
higher for photos. having the LCD screen
etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i cant
work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are lsoing out to
the Epson's

>>I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
>>features.

I would much prefer the Canon but no printer seems to last these days so i'm
sadly going to have to go for the Epson simply on price

Andy wrote:

>>Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
>>known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
>>have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
>>reason.
>>

>I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
>problems and love it.

They just have not printed enough CD's to have the problem.

Read the reviews at www.pcmag.com

The LCD screen is really not the way to edit photos. Use the computer
and a photoshop like editor.

>> Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
>> known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
>> have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
>> reason.
>
> I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
> problems and love it.
>
>> The Canon has twin paper feeds, prints full duplex automatically, is much
>> faster, the business document printing is much higher quality, and the
>> photo quality maybe marginally better. I think it is a better deal.
>
> It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is rated
> higher for photos. having the LCD screen
> etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i cant
> work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are lsoing out to
> the Epson's

What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
running costs.

>>>I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
>>>features.
>>>

> I would much prefer the Canon but no printer seems to last these days so
> i'm sadly going to have to go for the Epson simply on price

It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably going to
pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a better customer
service record.

--
Derek

Andy

> Andy wrote:
>
>>>Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
>>>known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
>>>have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
>>>reason.
>>>

>>I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
>>problems and love it.
>>

> They just have not printed enough CD's to have the problem.

Possibly. But i don't see a widespread problem being shown or a recall.
Most customer reviews are quite favorable

>>>The Canon has twin paper feeds, prints full duplex automatically, is much
>>>faster, the business document printing is much higher quality, and the
>>>photo quality maybe marginally better. I think it is a better deal.
>>>

>>It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is rated
>>higher for photos. having the LCD screen
>>etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i cant
>>work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are lsoing out to
>>the Epson's
>>

> Read the reviews at www.pcmag.com
>
> The LCD screen is really not the way to edit photos. Use the computer and
> a photoshop like editor.

agreed, that wasn't really my point.

Andy wrote:

>>>I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
>>>problems and love it.
>>>

>>They just have not printed enough CD's to have the problem.
>>

>Possibly. But i don't see a widespread problem being shown or a recall.
>Most customer reviews are quite favorable

Epson America replaced them no questions asked. Then they started just
replacing the defective CD Trays. Epson UK, from many posts in this NG,
is not very accommodating to the UK customers as Epson American is.
They seem like two different companies.

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Only in the UK are the prices more expensive. Anyway the Epson has a
>>> known design problem with the feed mechanism for DC/DVD's. May people
>>> have had problems with it. A friend of mine is on his 3rd R300 for that
>>> reason.
>>
>> I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
>> problems and love it.
>>
>>> The Canon has twin paper feeds, prints full duplex automatically, is
>>> much faster, the business document printing is much higher quality, and
>>> the photo quality maybe marginally better. I think it is a better deal.
>>
>> It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is
>> rated higher for photos. having the LCD screen
>> etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i cant
>> work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are lsoing out to
>> the Epson's
>
> What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
> running costs.

refills roughly the same price.

>> I would much prefer the Canon but no printer seems to last these days so
>> i'm sadly going to have to go for the Epson simply on price
>>

> It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably going
> to pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a better
> customer service record.

If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted to try
and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices

Andy wrote:

>"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>"Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>>I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had any
>>>problems and love it.

>>>It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is
>>>rated higher for photos. having the LCD screen
>>>etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i cant
>>>work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are lsoing out to
>>>the Epson's
>>>

>>What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
>>running costs.
>>

>refills roughly the same price.

>>>I would much prefer the Canon but no printer seems to last these days so
>>>i'm sadly going to have to go for the Epson simply on price
>>>

>>It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably going
>>to pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a better
>>customer service record.
>>

>If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted to try
>and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices

The Epson permanent heads require more cleaning cycles and therefore
more ink. The ink is also more expensive. The difference will be more
than made up for on running costs.

But the R300 is a good choice and is a nice printer. It is just not the
best choice or the best value.

> Andy wrote:
>
>>"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

Tell him not to put the CD tray down on the feed-end. Damaging the plastic
strip on the CD tray is the most common fault. Its a stupid idea to be
honest, but if your carefull with the tray it works fine.

*slightly* faster on documents - but the Canon is lower quality on photos -
remember we are comparing a 3 colour to a 6 colour printer here...

Compare the print quality from the review on
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/printer-08.html - notice how
much grainier and over-saturated the Canon iP4000 prints are in comparison
to the R300

>>>What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
>>>running costs.
>>>

>>refills roughly the same price.

>>>It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably going
>>>to pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a better
>>>customer service record.
>>>

>>If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted to
>>try and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices
>
> The Epson permanent heads require more cleaning cycles and therefore more
> ink. The ink is also more expensive. The difference will be more than
> made up for on running costs.

Not if your using 3rd party ink its not - at £1.50 each (compared to about
£11.00 for Epson carts, and about £8-£9 for a Canon) you save a fortune. Ok,
the print quality isn't quite as good as the OEM stuff, but for 99% of what
people use a printer for its perfectly acceptable.
Also, considering the Epson is much higher photo quality than the Canon,
using 3rd party inks on the Epson would still give you better prints than
the Canon using OEM ink.

> But the R300 is a good choice and is a nice printer. It is just not the
> best choice or the best value.

That depends what you want it for. For many people its much better value and
quality than the Canon.

Andy

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan to
>> make good regular use of it.
>>
>> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples, you
>> can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>>
>> Epson R200 - £65.99
>> Epson R300 - £77.90
>> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>>
>> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>>

> As a side note, I can't understand why printers are so much more
> expensive in the UK. Converting Canadian Dollars to Pounds:
>
> The R200 is in my sales flyer for £44 and the Canon iP4000, £65.
> Mind you, North American Canons don't have the CD/DVD printing feature.
> My own printer, the iP5000, currently goes for £87 (minus CD/DVD
> printing).
>
> -Taliesyn

The cd/dvd printing probably explains the price difference

Andy wrote:
> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan
> to make good regular use of it.
>
> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples,
> you can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>
> The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to
> be the most expensive.
>
> I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
> features.

I have four printers: - an R800, an iP8500 an i9950 and an RX620 (OK, five
if you count the PictureMate, which I don't). Which do I use the most? I'll
give you a clue - it isn't an Epson.

I love the images my R800 produces, I hate the way it clogs. I had to spend
£30 the other day on a set of cleaning tanks to get it working again because
it hadn't been used for about six weeks. I left my i9950 in its box for nine
months. It was pressed back into service after my SC900 bit the dust after
nearly a decade's good and faithful service. Did I need to run endless
cleaning cycles to unblock the heads? Did I need to spend any money to bring
back to its former glory? No, I did not. It worked flawlessly right out of
the box. Why? Because it uses dye, not pigment, based inks. Pigment inks are
like paint, and dry like paint. Pigments are water-based and, therefore,
evaporate and do not (IME) clog the printhead.

I bought my iP8500 last week to replace the SC900 and I love it. It's fast,
it does duplex, the prints are accurate, I can put up to 200 pages in the
cassette. It's the best £270 I ever spent on a printer. The only downside?
The case shows every mark - but that's the only downside I've found thus
far.

IMNSHO, it's the best printer on the planet. Cheap to run, quick to print -
I can't fault it.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>

>>Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan
>>to make good regular use of it.
>>
>>Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples,
>>you can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>>
>>Epson R200 - £65.99
>>Epson R300 - £77.90
>>Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>>
>>What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>>
>>The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to
>>be the most expensive.
>>
>>I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
>>features.
>>

>I have four printers: - an R800, an iP8500 an i9950 and an RX620 (OK, five
>if you count the PictureMate, which I don't). Which do I use the most? I'll
>give you a clue - it isn't an Epson.
>
>I love the images my R800 produces, I hate the way it clogs.

Another example of what I am trying to say.

>I had to spend
>£30 the other day on a set of cleaning tanks to get it working again because
>it hadn't been used for about six weeks.

That is not a long time.

>I left my i9950 in its box for nine
>months. It was pressed back into service after my SC900 bit the dust after
>nearly a decade's good and faithful service. Did I need to run endless
>cleaning cycles to unblock the heads? Did I need to spend any money to bring
>back to its former glory? No, I did not.

More of what I am trying to say.

>It worked flawlessly right out of
>the box. Why? Because it uses dye, not pigment, based inks. Pigment inks are
>like paint, and dry like paint. Pigments are water-based and, therefore,
>evaporate and do not (IME) clog the printhead.

These are good for professionals who have heavy use and need greater
permanence.

>I bought my iP8500 last week to replace the SC900 and I love it.

You should. It is the narrow carriage PIXMA version of the i9900 that
you like.

>It's fast,
>it does duplex, the prints are accurate, I can put up to 200 pages in the
>cassette. It's the best £270 I ever spent on a printer. The only downside?
>The case shows every mark

They should have used the IP4000 case for the entire line and maybe vary
the trim. They could change the color of the word Canon and maybe the
color of the buttons.

> - but that's the only downside I've found thus
>far.
>
>IMNSHO, it's the best printer on the planet. Cheap to run, quick to print -
>I can't fault it.

I would like to see a wide carriage version of the IP8500 that would
replace the i9900 that also would do a 16x20.

Andy wrote:
> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I heard that but them again there are alot of people who havent had
>>> any problems and love it.

>>> It is a good printer but the R300 has more features and the Epson is
>>> rated higher for photos. having the LCD screen
>>> etc the Epson must also be more expensive to produce which is why i
>>> cant work out this pricing of canon's. canon must know they are
>>> lsoing out to the Epson's
>>
>> What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
>> running costs.
>
> refills roughly the same price.

>>> I would much prefer the Canon but no printer seems to last these
>>> days so i'm sadly going to have to go for the Epson simply on price
>>>

>> It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably
>> going to pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a
>> better customer service record.
>

> If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted
> to try and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices

Golden Rule of Printer Ownership: - the lower the initial costs the higher
the cost of ownership.

Compare the R800 and the iP8500. The R800 costs nearly £100 less than the
iP8500, but the tanks are, depending on where you purchase them, around £15
for the colours and £10 for the gloss optimiser. The Canon is £100 more,
but the tanks cost around £5-£6 each. Cost of a set is £145 compared with
£48 for the Canon. IOW, you can purchase three sets for the Canon for the
price of one for the Epson.

You must spend more to spend less.

Andy

> Andy wrote:
>> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> "Andy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> What you save upfront on the Epson you'll end up losing on the higher
>>> running costs.
>>
>> refills roughly the same price.

>>> It's your call. I'm going for the iP4000, even though I'm probably
>>> going to pay more than your quote to get it from a retailer with a
>>> better customer service record.
>>

>> If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted
>> to try and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices
>
> Golden Rule of Printer Ownership: - the lower the initial costs the higher
> the cost of ownership.

if youre buying a lexmark!!!

> Compare the R800 and the iP8500. The R800 costs nearly £100 less than the
> iP8500, but the tanks are, depending on where you purchase them, around
> £15 for the colours and £10 for the gloss optimiser. The Canon is £100
> more, but the tanks cost around £5-£6 each. Cost of a set is £145 compared
> with £48 for the Canon. IOW, you can purchase three sets for the Canon for
> the price of one for the Epson.
>
> You must spend more to spend less.

I think anyone would have to be daft to buy Epson or Canon carts. The
price is the same for generic carts

Andy wrote:

>"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>

>>Andy wrote:
>>

>>>"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>refills roughly the same price.

>>>If i could justfy the money i'd buy the Canon too. I am even tempted
>>>to try and hold out to see if Canon do drop their prices
>>>

>>Golden Rule of Printer Ownership: - the lower the initial costs the higher
>>the cost of ownership.
>>

>if youre buying a lexmark!!!
>

>>Compare the R800 and the iP8500. The R800 costs nearly £100 less than the
>>iP8500, but the tanks are, depending on where you purchase them, around
>>£15 for the colours and £10 for the gloss optimiser. The Canon is £100
>>more, but the tanks cost around £5-£6 each. Cost of a set is £145 compared
>>with £48 for the Canon. IOW, you can purchase three sets for the Canon for
>>the price of one for the Epson.
>>
>>You must spend more to spend less.
>>

>I think anyone would have to be daft to buy Epson or Canon carts. The
>price is the same for generic carts

But with most of them your printhead gets constipated.

> IMNSHO, it's the best printer on the planet. Cheap to run, quick to
print -
> I can't fault it.

But, it doesn't use pigment inks, and that's the problem. The trade off
isn't color rendition, or vibrancy, (and you can answer this better than
many... do you think the color rendition of the R800 is less vibrant
than the dye ink sets printing color matched prints?) BUT, the trade off
is: dye ink which doesn't clog as often, but doesn't provide permanence,
versus pigment which can clog more often, but provides permanence.

Although I do not own a R Ultrachrome ink printer, I'm somewhat
surprised (that's not a challenge of your experience, just surprised)
that yours clogged as it did, because I tested the R Ultrachrome inks,
and they just took forever to dry (I'm speaking months).

I really wish Epson would come up with a special cleaning method for
printers left unused for several weeks that used some solvents stored in
the printer to clean the heads.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your experience with color rendition with
the R800.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> > IMNSHO, it's the best printer on the planet. Cheap to run, quick to
> print -
> > I can't fault it.
> >

> But, it doesn't use pigment inks, and that's the problem. The trade
> off isn't color rendition, or vibrancy, (and you can answer this
> better than many... do you think the color rendition of the R800 is
> less vibrant than the dye ink sets printing color matched prints?)
> BUT, the trade off is: dye ink which doesn't clog as often, but
> doesn't provide permanence, versus pigment which can clog more often,
> but provides permanence.

I think she said (and she can correct me if this was not her intent)
that the IP8500 produces a nicer looking more vibrant print than the
R800 but the R800 is expected to provide greater permanence. She also
said that the IP8500 is more economical to purchase and run.

This is basically the same findings as PC Mag.

> Although I do not own a R Ultrachrome ink printer, I'm somewhat
> surprised (that's not a challenge of your experience, just surprised)
> that yours clogged as it did, because I tested the R Ultrachrome inks,
> and they just took forever to dry (I'm speaking months).

How did you test them if you do not own a R Ultrachrome ink printer?

> I really wish Epson would come up with a special cleaning method for
> printers left unused for several weeks that used some solvents stored
> in the printer to clean the heads.

Why just Epson? And why should they when you can attempt to use
expensive ink?

> Anyway, I'd be interested in your experience with color rendition with
> the R800.
>

> Art
>

> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/ DVD's. I plan
>>> to make good regular use of it.
>>>
>>> Ive got it down to these 3. I've used ebuyer for the price examples,
>>> you can probably get them all slightly cheaper shopping around
>>>
>>> Epson R200 - £65.99
>>> Epson R300 - £77.90
>>> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>>>
>>> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more expensive?.
>>>
>>> The Epson R300 has many more features. I would have expected this to
>>> be the most expensive.
>>>
>>> I like the Canon but I can't bring myself to pay so much more for less
>>> features.
>>

>> I have four printers: - an R800, an iP8500 an i9950 and an RX620 (OK,
>> five if you count the PictureMate, which I don't). Which do I use the
>> most? I'll give you a clue - it isn't an Epson.
>>
>> I love the images my R800 produces, I hate the way it clogs. I had to
>> spend £30 the other day on a set of cleaning tanks to get it working
>> again because it hadn't been used for about six weeks. I left my
>> i9950 in its box for nine months. It was pressed back into service
>> after my SC900 bit the dust after nearly a decade's good and faithful
>> service. Did I need to run endless cleaning cycles to unblock the
>> heads? Did I need to spend any money to bring back to its former
>> glory? No, I did not. It worked flawlessly right out of the box. Why?
>> Because it uses dye, not pigment, based inks. Pigment inks are like
>> paint, and dry like paint. Pigments are water-based and, therefore,
>> evaporate and do not (IME) clog the printhead.
>>
>> I bought my iP8500 last week to replace the SC900 and I love it. It's
>> fast, it does duplex, the prints are accurate, I can put up to 200
>> pages in the cassette. It's the best £270 I ever spent on a printer.
>> The only downside? The case shows every mark - but that's the only
>> downside I've found thus far.
>>
>> IMNSHO, it's the best printer on the planet. Cheap to run, quick to
>> print - I can't fault it.

davy

> Andywrote:
Looking for a printer which will Print photos and CD/
> Epson R200 - £65.99
> Epson R300 - £77.90
> Canon IP4000 - £92.78
>
> What i can't understand is why the Canon is so much more
expensive?.

> Davy say's
> The reason that Epson APPEARS cheaper, and indeed they are to buy
initially but are more expensive to run than Canons - don't believe
me take a look at the ink prices.

> With one tank down on a Epson you have lost printing ability because
of the 'chipped' tanks, also to refill you have to reset the chip,
with Canon's you just refill.

> Also noted on various forums is that Epson's are known to 'clog',
yes you do see other printers clogging- but not as many.

> Don't take my advice!!!!! Look through various Forums and you will
see what I mean. It's certainly not the prices of the printers that
should be of concern but the running cost, you will see that the
Canon's are very conservative in this respect.

> Also the Canon print head is 'USER' replacable whilst the Epson
is'nt unless you know how to strip the printer down.

> Have a look around come back and let me know if Im right or wrong,
a little advice don't take just one person's comment .