Turning on Computer Problem. Please Help!

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,

I have had my computer for about a year now. I just upgraded my video card, power supply and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro, and all updates bios, security, etc.

My computer only takes 23 seconds from pressing the power button to have my desktop appear. Anyways for some reason about 1 out of every 4-5 times I turn on my computer, nothing happens. It powers up, and the fans are going, etc. but it doesnt boot up. My monitor says no signal and turns off. I have to reset the computer and then it boots up.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem? Anything I can do to fix this? Any tests I can run?

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Logitech MX518 - 1600 dpi Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech Media EliteBlack Wired Keyboard

Hello,

I have had my computer for about a year now. I just upgraded my video card, power supply and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro, and all updates bios, security, etc.

My computer only takes 23 seconds from pressing the power button to have my desktop appear. Anyways for some reason about 1 out of every 4-5 times I turn on my computer, nothing happens. It powers up, and the fans are going, etc. but it doesnt boot up. My monitor says no signal and turns off. I have to reset the computer and then it boots up.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem? Anything I can do to fix this? Any tests I can run?

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Logitech MX518 - 1600 dpi Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech Media EliteBlack Wired Keyboard

Assuming your system worked without the issue before, the cause is likely related to the three things you changes, the video card, the PSU or the reinstallation of your OS.

You might try reinstalling the video drivers since your not getting video when booting. You may even consider a different vdieo driver version than you are using if all else fails. Your new OS install may have a registry issue causing the system not to boot. Try a registry cleaner like systemmechanic Pro. Run the windows disk check too. Hope this helps.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If you still have your old videocard lying around you may want to try using that for a while and see if that does it for you. Other than that I cant really offer much else other than a good luck.