mpjesse

Splendid
Gents,

Am I missing something, or did Intel officially launch Core 2 Duo this week? I can't find any Conroe processors on newegg.com or pricewatch.com

Is there a different "ship date"?

I had actually planned on buying one today... maybe I wasn't so far off base in my comment about Core 2 not being available w/o preorder?

EDIT: nevermind... i just read that Conroe isn't shipping until July 23rd.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Gents,

Am I missing something, or did Intel officially launch Core 2 Duo this week? I can't find any Conroe processors on newegg.com or pricewatch.com

I had actually planned on buying one today... maybe I wasn't so far off base in my comment about Core 2 not being available w/o preorder?

That says it all. 8)

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I think that Conroe may have already been shipped but retailers just aren't allowed to sell them yet. I say this because I have seen the X6800 on New Egg's site but it was quickly pulled. There was a thread started about it here. Whether it was put on New Eggs site by mistake, or if they tried to sell it and just got in trouble, it is anybody's guess. Anyways it is an indication that some retailers may already have them and they'll be available upon release.

Fireheart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
When I worked in a Bookstore, we would often get the new titles a week or two or more in advance. However, the publishers establish release dates that MUST NOT be violated, or suffer terrible repercussions - on the order of never being alowed to sell that company's products again. So we often had stacks of the latest Harry Potter book, or whatever, stored in the back room. Occasionally, stockers would jump the gun on a product, only to earn the wrath of management. Probably, the Web Designer made up the page for Conroe and then posted it to the site early - and got yelled at.

Be Well!
Fireheart

you would have had to wait until motherboards became available anyway. And i t looks like conroe motherboards are 270 bucks!

Gents,

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
When I worked in a Bookstore, we would often get the new titles a week or two or more in advance. However, the publishers establish release dates that MUST NOT be violated, or suffer terrible repercussions - on the order of never being alowed to sell that company's products again. So we often had stacks of the latest Harry Potter book, or whatever, stored in the back room. Occasionally, stockers would jump the gun on a product, only to earn the wrath of management. Probably, the Web Designer made up the page for Conroe and then posted it to the site early - and got yelled at.

Be Well!
Fireheart

There are a few folks on this forum that work for Best Buy and Circuit City. I would love to know, if they can say, if they have conroe systems or cpus in stock waiting for the official release. My understanding is the this core2 was ramped faster than P4 and that there should be some good stock in both retailers and OEMs day 1.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
i want to kno wats the highest average stable fsb on 965 and 975s. cuz right now it seems impossible for 6300 to hit 4ghz wihtout breaking 570 fsb with that shitty 7 multiplier.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I remeber reading an article that said intel had already rolled off 200 million dollars worth of Conroe of the production line before the launch.

That's more than AMD's profits for one year... if they're lucky. :lol:

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I remeber reading an article that said intel had already rolled off 200 million dollars worth of Conroe of the production line before the launch.

Yes, there's more than 200 million dollars worth. But, keep in mind, it's for the whole world and Dell and HP have probably already bought 80 millions worth of CPUs.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Where are the EE AM2's? Talk about vaporware. I don't see any on newegg, even review sites have trouble getting them.

Can you feel Intel's pain? You should be willing to take 1 or $200 for the team. I told you that Core 2 would totally undervalue the CPU market and make low end chips the real sellers. Intel will be bleeding profusely at 80%. That is an advantage for AMD in that they could get support from other companies due to their cooperative, collaborative operation.
Engineers don't like to be told they're not good enough.(ATi)

Unfortunately that means cheap HeatBurst for everyone.

Did I mention that I got access to an Opteron 875 system for dev? Juicy!!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Where are the EE AM2's? Talk about vaporware. I don't see any on newegg, even review sites have trouble getting them.

Can you feel Intel's pain? You should be willing to take 1 or $200 for the team. I told you that Core 2 would totally undervalue the CPU market and make low end chips the real sellers. Intel will be bleeding profusely at 80%. That is an advantage for AMD in that they could get support from other companies due to their cooperative, collaborative operation.
Engineers don't like to be told they're not good enough.(ATi)

Unfortunately that means cheap HeatBurst for everyone.

Did I mention that I got access to an Opteron 875 system for dev? Juicy!!

WTF are you talking about moron? You quote my post but talk about some unrelated sh!t.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Maybe in years past but AMD made more than that in Q1 AND Q2. That Opteron, gotta love it.

The conference call supposedly had Intel with $4.3B in inventory so $200M is 5%. I fthat includes Merom and WOddcrest - I think the same three fabs are doing all - that's about what I expected at launch. The y may get a few hundred million more but that not only depresses the market but also fill the market with worthless HeatBurst Celeron and 915, etc and 8xx.

Dell will really take a Q3 pinch because they can't leave their already too low prices up. By positioning between Core 2 and HeatBurst, AMD can gain share on having a betterprocessor in terms of the average speed of their edesktop offerings. Sempron doesn't lower overall perf as much as PD does for Intel.

It will be a cold Sept fr both companies with % of lost revenue may favor Intel due to their huge stock.

If they intend on bringing quad out in Q4, that means Core 2 is now worth a lot less and has to be product differentiated through price.
If AMD can et an X4 out at 65nm in late Q107, it will give a good run to Kentsfield. Remember X2s massive unused bandwidth.

Boy this is fun.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Okay... i agree with the first part i was looking at the yearly profits which didn't include these two quarters.

But then you start pulling stuff out of your ass again in your love affair with amd and his huge opteron. :roll:

I'm surprised you haven't fallen in love with "WOOD"-crest. :mrgreen:

RichPLS

Champion
If you so much love AMD, why do you try to convince everyone you know so much about Intel, seems you should focus on info about AMD... follow your passion; relieve yourself of Intel resentment. 8)