20 pin vs 24 pin power supply, emergency on a A8N-SLI prem??

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
My POS Antec power supply died the other day on my rig. I ordered a Seasonic PS to replace it, and hooked it up, and discovered its making this LOUD ticking-type sound. (NO it's not the fan, as I stopped it spinning and the same sound continued) Worse yet, it could be something electrical inside the power supply.

Anyway, I have a Antec TruePower 430 20 pin ATX power supply. Can I use it temporarily until I get this replaced?

May seem like I stupid question, but I need this computer NOW. I have a single ATI video card, and no other periferals cept a modem.

Smaller HD, single DVD burner, yada yada.

Thoughts???

X

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Yes, but an older (s months) ATX v.1 standard 20 pin connector. My defective one is a ATXv.2 with a 24 pin connector.

I know the 20 pin connector will fit, provided I align the connector right, but I'm concerned that I might do damage to my MOBO as it only has 20 pins, as opposed to the current standard 24 ATXv.2 connectors found on virtually all PS now.

I know most 24 pin connectors come apart, so you can use them on the older MOBOs. I guess the question is whether or not you can use an older PS on a newer motherboard, without damage to any components.

Thanks,

X

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Tell us the processor and mobo, that always helps. If its a dual core proc then possibly it wont boot, but it should work, and you can always run down to the neerest comp store and buy the 20 to 24pin adapter. around 2$

Hope This Helps.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
i think the extra 4 pins are for the sli or pci e. I don't know if its required or ont. i doubt you will hurt anything though just try it, worst that will happen is nothing. Literally.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Check this out:

24 Pin Mobo works with 24 pin power and "may work with 20 pin power".

20 Pin Mobo works with both 20 and 20+4 pin power.

If you used the 20 pin power to the 24 Pin mobo it might work but it's going to underpower the slot like the PCI-E and or PCI.

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
From experience it works fine. Just make sure you plug in the square 4-pin "P4" power connector above and to the left of the cpu.

I can't comment about the ultimate longevity of such a system but will give you plenty of time to get a replacement power supply. I know of computers that are still running a year later without 24pin.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
My current setup on this machine....

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Socket 939 3500+ Prescott core (E4 stepping)
Samsung 710N-2 LCD
MSI ATI Radeon X800-TD128 video card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160 GB HD
Antec TruePower 500w PS
Crucial Ballistix PC 3200 1GB (2x512)
Diamond 56k dialup modem

So, mostly I'm worried about toasting any of this stuff. With luck, the usage will only be for a week before I get my new PS. The above Antec croaked. I bought a Seasonic to replace it, and out of the box there was a ticking, clicking sound coming from inside the PS (NOT the fan..I stopped the fan spinning and it was still making the noise)

I wonder what effect, if any, underpowering this setup (with the ATX v.1 power supply) will have on any of the components listed...

X

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
For a only a week? No Problem.

Plus, you're not exactly using a whole lot of power.

Like I said, maybe not something to run forever but I don't think you are in any danger of "toasting" anything.

dstaple

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
The loud ticking sound that you describe is the power supply failing to start, and then restarting itself, over and over again. This is a common mode of failure for all sorts of things that contain switchmode power supplies, no doubt a number of people here have seen a monitor do something similar.

Probably your new power supply is also dead, unless there is something else in your system shorting it out. You can try to start the power supply manually (without it attached to a computer) by shorting the green wire on the ATX connector to ground (any of the black wires, or possibly the case etc.) with a piece of wire.

As far as your 20 pin power supply question, give it a try at least, it may or may not work, as people have already suggested. I suspect it will work with your system, I personally ran an Enermax 350W 20 pin power supply with my A8N-SLI Deluxe and 3200+ for about a year, with no issues. I wasn't using any adapter, and wouldn't bother with that (just leave the other 4 pins empty).

Doug