Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Lokking for a good Case I have a few Im lookin at any ideas.

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 21, 2006 3:08:27 AM

Sorry I am actually looking for opinion on a new case couldn't fit it in the subject.

I am building a new pc enough said I have threads on that subject already.

I have a few cases I am looking at and I was wanting some opinions on them as to weather or not they are any good.

the first one I am looking at is a ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 Black Zinc Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The next one is ASPIRE X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

And this one NZXT GUARDIAN BLK Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
I kind of like this one mainly since my pc sits to the right of me and would make it easier to access the cd/dvd drives.

I am looking for something with pretty good airflow as my house is usually kind of hot (I'm in Texas) and one that give pretty good access to the inside. I also need at least 4 or 5 slots for HDD's since I alreadt have 2 existing HDD's plus a new one I am buying for my new system. I am already going to be replacing the Power Supply no matter what case I get to get a 400w or 500w PSU. So what do you all think? Any opinions on these cases or suggestions on good ones to buy in the 50 to 80ish price range.
July 21, 2006 3:50:10 AM

I would worry about what it looks like the most. You can mod it so it has better airflow, and put hdds in random places, but you cant really mod how the case looks (without some serrious painting skills).
July 21, 2006 4:31:19 AM

Quote:
I would worry about what it looks like the most. You can mod it so it has better airflow, and put hdds in random places, but you cant really mod how the case looks (without some serrious painting skills).


I'm more into function. I recommend getting a case that has good airflow stock if that's your priority. Maybe check out the Coolermaster line like this.
Related resources
July 21, 2006 5:17:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry I am actually looking for opinion on a new case couldn't fit it in the subject.

I am building a new pc enough said I have threads on that subject already.

I have a few cases I am looking at and I was wanting some opinions on them as to weather or not they are any good.

the first one I am looking at is a ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 Black Zinc Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The next one is ASPIRE X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

And this one NZXT GUARDIAN BLK Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
I kind of like this one mainly since my pc sits to the right of me and would make it easier to access the cd/dvd drives.

I am looking for something with pretty good airflow as my house is usually kind of hot (I'm in Texas) and one that give pretty good access to the inside. I also need at least 4 or 5 slots for HDD's since I alreadt have 2 existing HDD's plus a new one I am buying for my new system. I am already going to be replacing the Power Supply no matter what case I get to get a 400w or 500w PSU. So what do you all think? Any opinions on these cases or suggestions on good ones to buy in the 50 to 80ish price range.


I have built with the Aspire x-infinity and have it running a P4 3.0 right now. It looks like a BMW. Especially with the round front panel gauges I put in there. Not a bad case to work with. No MB removable tray, no screwless bays. Has a n 80mm fan on the glass door to help keep the center of the case cool. Looks pretty good overall. I prefer some of the LIan Li case over this one.
July 21, 2006 2:36:27 PM

Yeah I like Lian Li cases but they are kind of basic looks wise and pretty much out of my price range.
July 21, 2006 2:44:47 PM

I do like that coolermast case real industrial looking but I don't know I will have to get some opinions from some friends and see what they think.
July 21, 2006 2:56:27 PM

Sorry guy, don't know how old you are and you may be into those designs but I wouldn't use one if they were giving them away.

If you want functionality and good value then get the Antec Sonata II, on sale at newegg right now for $85, comes with a good 450w psu, one that you can actually use and count on.

Not flashy looking but nice case, good design, quiet and good psu.
July 21, 2006 3:42:29 PM

Quote:
If you want functionality and good value then get the Antec Sonata II, on sale at newegg right now for $85, comes with a good 450w psu, one that you can actually use and count on.

Not flashy looking but nice case, good design, quiet and good psu.


Note that AMD's game testing lab recently got rid of their 550 watt Antec power supplies because they couldn't hack the load - and upgraded to 200-300 buck power supplies. So pardon me if I don't consider a 450 watt Antec to be a good PS. Buying case/PS bundles can be very limiting.
July 21, 2006 3:59:41 PM

They are great value, but only for the average user. A standard non OC'ed cpu and one gpu with all the rest and that psu is fine.

And really Tom's business is to see how much punishment they can make cpu's and gpu's go through so I have to agree 550w is not good enough.

So in conclusion, I would rather promote the Sonata II w/ 450w psu then one of those cases with a $50 600w psu which will probably die within a year...

Lets define the average budget to mid level gamer.... probably going to get an X2 3800-4200 (maybe entry level core2duo) after the price cuts paired with something like a 7600GT to 7900GT with a couple of hdd's, optical drive and sound card (possibly). A solid 450W psu will run that easily as long as he doesn't OC.

P.S. if you had looked at the cases he had chosen you might have a better idea of what he can afford and is looking for.
July 21, 2006 4:12:31 PM

If you were willing to go up a few bucks in price the P180 from antec seems like a winner (I am strongly considering it for my next build). It comes factory with 3x120mm fans and has the option for 2 more. It also has a ton of hard drive bays and is designed to be a very quiet case. (3-layer construction to reduce sound and resonance).
The Antec SLK3000 would be another choice for a cheap case with good airflow. I think it has 2x120mm fans in it and can be had pretty cheaply. ( I saw it recently for $59.95 Canadian). Another benefit of both of these cases (in my opinion) is that they both come without a power supply, leaving you free to get something that best suits your needs.
July 21, 2006 4:42:51 PM

Actually I am 27 and Currently I have a full Tower case that I can live with but honestly I am kind of tired of the beige box. LOL No matter what case I do end up buy I am getting a new PSU since I dont belive the installed ones will handle what I am putting in the case. I have another thread open if you want to look at it that I am actually about to add the list of what I am planning on buying minus the mobo and cpu since the Core2Duo is not out till Monday. I don't plan on overclocking anything since I would like this to last me for a good 5 years or so like my last rig, and yes it will still play current games. LOL

I would kind of like something that looks good and something the functions good I know those 2 can be mutually exclusive sometimes though. I have always kinf of liked the look of modded cases though technically the ones I am looking at wouldn't be considered modded cases since the come stock like that but thats besides the point. Anyway keep the info comeing in you guys have given me some good cases to check out and check my other thread and you can see the list of components I have picked and let me know what you think.
July 21, 2006 5:32:52 PM

I also like the Coolermaster Centurion 5.

I only like to use Antec, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, Lian Li and Silverstone (this is for my HTPC).

I would also suggest you stick to aluminum cases if you can afford it, more durable than plastic and lighter than steel.

Thermaltake has the XaserV, again not my taste but lines up with the others that you chose. Thermaltake typically has good cooling cases as well. That one even has a top blowhole.

Too bad you don't live near me, I'd sell you my used Tsunami for a good price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133133
July 21, 2006 6:01:52 PM

Quote:
So in conclusion, I would rather promote the Sonata II w/ 450w psu then one of those cases with a $50 600w psu which will probably die within a year...


That logic is totally lost on me. First off, having been burned twice by antec power supplies, I'm openly biased against them. Second, I've been in budget mode plenty of times and know how hard it can be to stick with a budget. But experience is one of those things we gain through living with pain. Like smelling a burning PS, then opening the case only to find that your defective Antec PS has eaten your CPU and GPU on its way out. I've used many inexpensive power supplies in rigs I set up at work and I just won't do that anymore. When you lose a difficult-to-replace mobo because a cheap PS ate it, you learn. So "mid range good enough" power supplies are only an option to me if the computer has very little value.

Quote:
P.S. if you had looked at the cases he had chosen you might have a better idea of what he can afford and is looking for.


I know those cases very well, no need to look at them again. You talk about what he can afford - can he afford for his PS to take out his CPU and mobo? Inexpensive cases are fine if they meet your needs. I've never heard of a case taking a CPU out, have you?
July 21, 2006 6:02:31 PM

In my opinion airflow is most important...These cases are getting ridiculous looking. I just like a nice flat or polished black or Lian Li gunmetal. I currently have the Coolermaster Centaurion and it works well, but I had to put a pci-slot fan in to cool off my video card better. The next case I'm getting is a Lian Li, with a 120 mm fan in front, 120 mm fan out the side, 80 mm in back, and 80 mm on top (naturally, heat rises). Seems to me that an air cooled case can't get any better than that.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 21, 2006 6:48:09 PM

I would NOT trust the cheesy PSUs that come with them, but I like the upper blowhole on the Aspire; I may consider something like that myself. I prefer 120mm fans as they are quieter and move more air. The Coolermaster that Clueless69 linked looked pretty solid too.
The other two looked way too glitzy for my tastes. Cool looking when I was 17, but tedious at best at 46. Oh well.

Edit: added the NOT and cheesy up there!

...and yes, I'm looking for a better PSU myself, but I need that old 5V rail.
July 22, 2006 12:51:15 PM

I was browsing for P180 info last night and ended up reading a bit about the P150/Solo. The Solo can be had for $93 Cdn and comes sans power supply as well. It is another quiet case and has a nice piano black/silver finish. It is also a relatively silent case with reportedly great airflow (120mm stock in back, 2x92 in front optional). It also has a HDD suspension system that allows elastic mounting of 3x3.5hdd in the front (if you don't move it too much) or 4x3.5hdd with silicone gromet sled mounts. Just another option that may sway me from my P180 (who doesn't like saving $$).
July 22, 2006 4:17:49 PM

Quote:
If you want functionality and good value then get the Antec Sonata II, on sale at newegg right now for $85, comes with a good 450w psu, one that you can actually use and count on.

Not flashy looking but nice case, good design, quiet and good psu.


Note that AMD's game testing lab recently got rid of their 550 watt Antec power supplies because they couldn't hack the load - and upgraded to 200-300 buck power supplies. So pardon me if I don't consider a 450 watt Antec to be a good PS. Buying case/PS bundles can be very limiting.

Yes. Don't buy a case with PSU.
!