Sign in with
Your question

My First build just wanted some opinions..

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2006 3:42:32 AM

I ordered most parts today, just wanted some opinions on my parts...

1)M2N-SLI
2)AMD 3500+
3)Antec 550Watt PSU
4)Thermaltake Case
5)Samsung DVD-R
6)Seagate 7200 SATA 160GB
7)X-Fi XtremeMusic ($81 !!!)
(not ordered yet parts are below)
8)Corsair XMS2 2GB
9)eVGA 7600GT (for now)
10)Viewsonic VX924

Wheres the cheapest place to get win XP Pro CD?

Would a dell version they send you work or no?

More about : build wanted opinions

July 21, 2006 3:48:09 AM

The Dell version is most likely a custom OEM disk.... so no it probably won't work.
July 21, 2006 4:11:30 AM

i'm sure it would work, as long as you only have one running at the same time. I bought my version of windows of newegg and it was OEM, and it works fine. If you dont have the serial number, there are programs you can get off line to extract the serial number from a computer that is running that version of windows

so if you have windows running on a dell that you want to get rid of, you can run the program on that, get the serial, get rid of the dell, and use that windows on your new computer. you cant use it on both, however.

you could also get a serial off the internet.... but i dont even know if i can say that on this forum. it also might not work and i would NEVER advise EVER getting ANYTHING illegaly from places such as crackspider.net or ANYTHING

people that do that are horrable... horrable i say
*tisk tisk*
Related resources
July 21, 2006 4:15:37 AM

easy whiskey! the microsoft mafia are watching.

lol.
July 21, 2006 4:30:14 AM

microsoft mafia??

I was JOKING!!!!
he he....

I SWEAR i dont have any (microsoft) pirated software

lets leave it at that

:lol: 
July 21, 2006 4:48:05 AM

Quote:
Wheres the cheapest place to get win XP Pro CD?
Would a dell version they send you work or no?

The Dell CD is 99% a regular OEM windows disk. It will physically install on any computer. However, it will not accept either of the license keys (the mass install factory key that it uses on a Dell which is retrieved using magic jellybean keyfinder, or the product sticker on the side of the case) when it is installed on a non-Dell computer---it will not ask for the product key during installation, only during Product Activation. You WILL be forced to call Micro$oft to get a working key. At that point it's a crap shoot: M$ no longer has to give you a new key for an OEM (especially a major manufacturer's disk like this Dell) Windows install, as they can fall back on the license agreement, stating that the OEM copy was tied to the mobo, and only under failure/defect of that mobo can the copy of Windows be used on another mobo. You could do some lying if you want and say that your board was defective, factory replacement boards were not available, so you have to use a Non-Dell board (FYI: all OEM Dell OS disks will install on ANY Dell, almost regardless of year, as I have tested this myself on Dell systems ranging from 1998 to current; they all accepted the same OEM Dell XP CD, and never once did they ask the product key nor did any of them pop up the Product Activation screen after installing---A Dell Bios is the only requirement it seems). In short, the Tech in know you're installing a Dell CD on a Non-Dell board (because reinstalls on Dell boards will never pop up Product Activation nor prompt the owner to call M$), so it really is a crapshoot whether you can persuade him/her to give you a working product key or not.

Of course, there is one other way to can get around this, and that's with a good crack off the interweb. I'd only recommend this if you've been down that dark road before. Expect for the most part never to be able to receive Windows Updates though. :lol: 

If I were you, I'd ditch that sound card and use the money to buy a legal copy of XP Home.
!