Win98 login and home folder

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002

Hello,

I have several Win98 systems still (sigh) on my network. When I login with
one of them, the login script/batch file runs and maps those drives, but it
does not map the home folder designated in AD. We have a mix of Windows
2000 and 2003 servers, but the AD controllers are both Win2k. Target home
directory is on a Win2k3 server.

Is this just something Win98 PCs cannot do and I will need to solve through
a login script? I know the 'answer' is to take the 98 systems out, but the
budget doesn't allow for that (sigh). Alternative answer is to map the home
folder on the 98 system itself, but that's not practical since the PCs are
spread out across a national WAN.

Thanks.

Randall wrote:

> I have several Win98 systems still (sigh) on my network. When I login
with
> one of them, the login script/batch file runs and maps those drives, but
it
> does not map the home folder designated in AD. We have a mix of Windows
> 2000 and 2003 servers, but the AD controllers are both Win2k. Target home
> directory is on a Win2k3 server.
>
> Is this just something Win98 PCs cannot do and I will need to solve
through
> a login script? I know the 'answer' is to take the 98 systems out, but
the
> budget doesn't allow for that (sigh). Alternative answer is to map the
home
> folder on the 98 system itself, but that's not practical since the PCs are
> spread out across a national WAN.

Hi,

Win98 clients do not automatically map the home drive. However, it can be
done in a logon script. If you use a batch file, you should be able to use a
command similar to:

net use h: /home

which should map to the home folder specified on the "Profile" tab of the
user properties dialog in ADUC. Otherwise, you can use a VBScript logon
script, but it must be launched from a batch file to work on Win9x clients.
I have an FAQ on logon scripts that support various clients linked here:

http://www.rlmueller.net/LogonScriptFAQ.htm

--
Richard
Microsoft MVP Scripting and ADSI