AMD's agressive plan to Beat Intel!

How do you think AMD''''''''''''''''s quality of stuff will be after moving up schedual?

• It will degrade and AMD will still be second to intel

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • AMD is doing well in R nd'''''''''''''''' D and is ahead of schedual?

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • This is just a moral boost and maybe for stock boosts

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Just read this and thought i'd spread it lol.
THG Article
If they do get things out faster without compromising quality this bodes well for my decision to buy AM2 with the x2 5000+ for now then buy an uber cpu in like a year. Draw your own conclusions from this.... maybe AMD's developement is ahead of schedual or they have no choice and are desperate to compete with intel... I think they will pull through and come out with quality products... how about you? :?:

EDIT:sorry i had to change to title to attract more attention, and now i'll get flamed lol :p :wink: 8)

TomMajor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
The "wait a year and buy an über cpu" never works... they always change the socket or somthing clever :(

Happens every time :?

TomMajor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
The "wait a year and buy an über cpu" never works... they always change the socket or somthing clever :(

Happens every time :?

Even when AM3 comes out it will still be backwards compatible with AM2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/page7.html

This is also the reason why it turned out that you will need to replace even a 975X motherboard, although technically it could have supported Core 2 Duo.

Somthing clever :tongue:
It always happens, trust me :wink:

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
If they do get things out faster without compromising quality this bodes well for my decision to buy AM2 with the x2 5000+ for now then buy an uber cpu in like a year.
Or you can buy an uber CPU now from Intel.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm surpirsed that no one cares about this "news"... maybe its not signifigant... or maybe its to late/early CRAP its almost friggin 4am, see you guys distract me by making all your funny flaming lol. Hopefully in the morning i have 126 flame posts against me for fanboyism lol, goodnight.... :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
THG Article
If they do get things out faster without compromising quality this bodes well for my decision to buy AM2 with the x2 5000+ for now then buy an uber cpu in like a year. Draw your own conclusions from this.... maybe AMD's developement is ahead of schedual or they have no choice and are desperate to compete with intel... I think they will pull through and come out with quality products... how about you? :?:

EDIT:sorry i had to change to title to attract more attention, and now i'll get flamed lol :p :wink: 8)
AMD is admitting that they can't afford this price war.

Meyer added that the desktop market saw "deep discounts" during the quarter - "in some cases so deep that we walked away from a business that did not make sense."
:wink:

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Not desperate, just funny.

Wasn't it just last year that Ruiz challenged Intel to a benchmark competition? And now he says

Chief executive officer Hector Ruiz summarized the current situation by saying that the microprocessor industry has entered a "new stage of transition" and a "world of differentiation." The micro-processor market has moved away from benchmarks, he said, and is now in a phase of "innovation", "choice" and "open and fair competition".

Fun thing to say when you're behind, I suppose. :roll:

In all seriousness though, I wish AMD best of luck in their 45nm efforts. One has to remember, though, that 65nm was supposed to be here right around now, according to AMD's roadmaps a year or two ago. It will be interesting if they can keep their 45nm goals without slipping like they did with 65nm. A roadmap is easy to make, following through with it, sometimes not so.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well we did see presscott go come in. Boy was it a heater and it was nm. It shows both amd and intel can make mistakes. Amd for waiting to change there chips and Intel with a chip that use too much heat and ran slower. But intel and amd are companys ran by people who tend to make mistakes.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
THG Article

AMDs productswill be the same quality or they wouldn't try this. They know how much is at stake.

I disagreed though with Toms assessment of how much of a price drop they need. You can take the 51% he suggests and instead of normalizing for a P4, he shooul dtake into accout that 95% of Intel's stock is soemthing people don't want. Especially now that Core 2 is cheap.

I think this may hurt Intel more. Either this or another article talks abotu how AMDs partners will take some of the hit for the price drop. You think ATi is feeling generous towards Intel and they have to compete for mobo sales?

Or maybe Dell will take the hit and lose more money while still trying to unload HeatBurst.

HP has already given Intel back most of the Itanium bill and pushing a billion transistor CPU that has no supported MS wksta (it was cancelled) will take a marketing miracle.

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
THG Article

I disagreed though with Toms assessment of how much of a price drop they need. You can take the 51% he suggests and instead of normalizing for a P4, he shooul dtake into accout that 95% of Intel's stock is soemthing people don't want. Especially now that Core 2 is cheap.

Your forgetting about the biggest market out there, and that would be med, large and corp business. They have large amount of computers in there offices and large scale of them use the P4 or Celerons. Intel would be very stupid to force them to upgrade from there current setups to the newer arch C2D. With this large supply's of P4 and Celerons still around and becoming very cheap if these sectors want to upgrade they can easily do it still without change MB. Which saves time and money for there IT departments. Intel was very smart about this move and only putting out around 25% of there current ability to produce CPU's towards Core 2 bases Arch.

Can't just look at the small picture. Must look at the whole picture and there is many, many sides to it. Home PCs is and will always be low end returns for Intel. They have many large company's that would drop them if they forced them to upgrade every time they brought out a new CPU. AMD is the same was as well. They finally are getting a good foot hold in this area so they have to be carefully as well. Main reason why they try so hard to make sure everything is future profit. But that has draw backs as well. But this isn't the place to go into that.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
This conference call sounded like some major damage control to me. I hope their transition to 45nm goes better than 65nm. Just don't know how they are gonna go 45nm ahead of schedule when 65nm has been such a nightmare for them. Have 65nm cpu's even been sampled yet?

I think more than anything, right now they are doing everything possible to keep investors from jumping ship.

These targets they have set are so high, they are gonna need a lot of hard work as well as good luck to pull it off.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
This conference call sounded like some major damage control to me. I hope their transition to 45nm goes better than 65nm. Just don't know how they are gonna go 45nm ahead of schedule when 65nm has been such a nightmare for them. Have 65nm cpu's even been sampled yet?

I think more than anything, right now they are doing everything possible to keep investors from jumping ship.

These targets they have set are so high, they are gonna need a lot of hard work as well as good luck to pull it off.
Not only that, but they have clowns like MMM, Sharikou,BaronMatrix,GottaLoveIMC,MrsD(MrsBytch) and others making them look foolish. :?

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
45 nm will not come out in 2008 for amd, they havent even got working 65 nm prototypes. It usually takes a year between prototypes to full scale production where the yeilds are high. So the way i look at it, 2007 is coming really quickly, amd does not have 65 nm yet, this most likely wont come later 2007 at best, also considering how long they have failed at 65 nm is something to be taken into consideration. How ever this is something you probably already know.

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
AMD's roadmap looks more like a wish list to Santa Claus than a realistic plan. 45 nm processors in the first half of 2008 looks better in the news, than to talk about what is happening to their 65nm process.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Amd is honestly acting like a small child. I hate the way they are taking this, complaing and claming Intel had "skewed metrics" on their power consumption readings, which every review site so far is showing core 2's using less power then amds dual cores sometimes having damn close to amds single core parts. Their vaporware last minute poorly engineered platforms ie 4x4, now this wishlist of a roadmap. Honestly they will be lucky to get 45 nm 2nd quarter of 2009, with the way their die shrinks are currently going, it really doesnt seem to be a smooth transition for them. If they are wrestling with 65 nm they are going to have a much harder time with a smaller lithography process. The grand fact of the matter is, Intel will have quad cores out this year, AMD wont. They may claim they can do it how ever, they would never even come close to being on the same level of pricing, as they will have much higher die sizes then the kentsfield, because they will be manufacturing them under 90 nm.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
THG Article

Your forgetting about the biggest market out there, and that would be med, large and corp business. They have large amount of computers in there offices and large scale of them use the P4 or Celerons. Intel would be very stupid to force them to upgrade from there current setups to the newer arch C2D. With this large supply's of P4 and Celerons still around and becoming very cheap if these sectors want to upgrade they can easily do it still without change MB. Which saves time and money for there IT departments. Intel was very smart about this move and only putting out around 25% of there current ability to produce CPU's towards Core 2 bases Arch.

Can't just look at the small picture. Must look at the whole picture and there is many, many sides to it. Home PCs is and will always be low end returns for Intel. They have many large company's that would drop them if they forced them to upgrade every time they brought out a new CPU. AMD is the same was as well. They finally are getting a good foot hold in this area so they have to be carefully as well. Main reason why they try so hard to make sure everything is future profit. But that has draw backs as well. But this isn't the place to go into that.

Just don't send me one. That will mean world of hurt for Dell again. They have reported they were under the expected for Q2. I don't mind low end btu a lowend MAD is much higher than a low end Intel.

But hey, voila, Core 2 just made everythng low end. Intel AND AMD. Not as much for perf but for price. It should be illegal for them to undervalue the market like this. Only server prices will survive and AMD has astounding growth for Opteron. This will be a big help as 8xx chips ASP is about $1700. 2xx ASP is about $1000.

I wish they could move 3600+ into Sempron's spot and keep prices afloat. I just think this is the wrong time for a movelike this. How can teh OEMs make any money with prices this low. The bottom had already fallen out of mainstream HDs and GPUs. EVen though a lot of thinsg require better GPUs and faster HDs, none of them work without the CPU.

It's OK if 6700 is $700 since most people don't need more than 6300 and those that do will spend the money as they always have.

I'lll look for Dells earnign report. I saw a quick flash that they didn't do well.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
....you know I cannot prove it, how ever when 2008 rolls around and amd doesnt have working silicon under 45 nm then I will prove it to you, this may sound errogant, but honestly looking at the way things are currently going for amd and their 65 nm process, them stating they will have 45 nn in 2008 is just a crock of shit.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Not only that, but they have clowns like MMM, Sharikou,BaronMatrix,GottaLoveIMC,MrsD(MrsBytch) and others making them look foolish. :?

Look at what you did to Intel. No one used to come here but you guys. Now there are noobs all the time and they even make points.

I have time and again predicted exactly what would happen with the PC market and your obvious jealousy has gotten the better of you.

get over it.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Baron... you cannot be serious. You actually think that amd can make this roadmap ? that they can live up to what they are saying considering the following. The have yet to get 65 nm prototypes working, traditionally getting the yeilds up from prototypes and perfecting the process takes 1 year. Amd stating they will have 65 nm by the end of this year is absolutely ridiculous. K8L will not make it by mid 2007, guaranteed, they need a smaller lithography process in order to make that core economically friendly, as they are doubling the fpu units blah blah blah, also the l2 and l3 cache being on the same die is going to be expensive. The thing about intel releasing quad cores this year, is they have working kentsfields, everyone who went to computex saw these working flawlessly, we are seeing coolaler at the xtremesystems.com forums benching it and they are quite breath taking. Amd has yet to show any sign of proof of 65nm, torrenza, K8L, or any future technology for that matter, and its not them keeping things quiet, they just have nothing to show for it.