Sign in with
Your question

OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply...

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2006 7:50:46 AM

I've read good reviews on the power supply, but wanted to get the forum's opinion on it.
How quiet is it? Is it reliable?

Thanks.
July 21, 2006 3:19:51 PM

its a good PSU, all around.

But at that price i would also recommend the Fortron Source 700w
July 23, 2006 2:42:30 AM

just in case you didnt know fsp and ocz psu's are both made by ocz, at least thats what i heard on the xs forums. eh, i think the ocz is just better looking, for some reason the dark blue of the fortron doesnt appeal to me. :-/
Related resources
July 23, 2006 3:00:20 AM

I thought the fsp psus came out before the GameXStream even came out though didn't it? Pretty sure it did. It is a good PSU anyway.
July 23, 2006 3:09:15 AM

i believe FSP supplies parts to OCZ. Anywho i'd recommend the FSP over the OCZ for the heck of it. both are good PSU's
July 23, 2006 3:39:06 AM

I wouldn't it is noiser
July 23, 2006 3:42:48 AM

Quote:
i believe FSP supplies parts to OCZ. Anywho i'd recommend the FSP over the OCZ for the heck of it. both are good PSU's

Here's what I heard... The plant the builds PCP&C also makes Fortron and mushkin. I don't remember hearing that they made the OCZ but that's OK. As far as I know, each PS seller wrote up their own specs. The more expensive Fortron and mushkin quad-rail units seem to be very very similar with the rail fusion capability. I talked to an engineer at mushkin that said their 650 watt unit costs more than the FSP because mushkin spec'ed their unit a bit more rigorously (20A 12V rail ratings vs. 15 on the FSP, better caps, better fans, etc.) All four 12V rails on the mushkin show a minimum required current of 0.5A but two on the FSP can run at zero load.

I have both the OCZ 700 and the mushkin 650. I have swapped them back and forth between my two AMD rigs to see how they would handle different loads. Both rigs are relative current hogs on the 12V and the power supplies handle them fine. The mushkin has no problems with OCed Opty 170 and XFired 1900s and has better than spec ripple under a big load. The OCZ shows less 12V droop under load but has more ripple under load. I paid well under retail for each and feel that they were worth the price paid.
July 23, 2006 5:47:29 AM

bleh who gives a sh!t. FSP owns. OCZ owns. Mushkin owns. so doe sPC-P&C.

get one of those and u'll be fine
July 24, 2006 6:04:13 PM

Quote:
just in case you didnt know fsp and ocz psu's are both made by ocz, at least thats what i heard on the xs forums. eh, i think the ocz is just better looking, for some reason the dark blue of the fortron doesnt appeal to me. :-/

Why do looks matter? How often do you look at your PSU once it's inside your case?
July 24, 2006 6:33:27 PM

Quote:

Why do looks matter? How often do you look at your PSU once it's inside your case?

Whenever the mood strikes!
July 24, 2006 6:40:33 PM

It's an excellent PSU

Pro-Clockers.com gave it a solid rating based upon the stable voltages, both at idle and on load. It was also extremely quiet.
Overclockercafe.com loved it because of it's stability and its quiet operation. According to the OCZ site it has a quad 12v rail system at 18 amps per. That is excellent. That's higher than alot of 600+ watt PSUs.
July 24, 2006 6:42:18 PM

Quote:

yup. my Orange sticker on my NeoHE is soooo purty...
July 24, 2006 6:58:04 PM

The FSP FX700 is a great PSU -- it's what I use, but it looks like the OCZ is $30 cheaper on newegg after rebate... So that's good too.
July 24, 2006 7:04:33 PM

the FX700 only has 15 amps across it's 12v rails. That's kinda weakish. It had issues powering my 7900 gtx when it was overclocked.
July 24, 2006 7:11:30 PM

Yeah, I suppose the 18A on the 12V rails would help with that.
July 24, 2006 7:17:11 PM

Don't get me wrong Rev, I like the FSP FX700. I used it in my main rig for awhile. Now, though, I am using it in one of my other rigs (with a 7800 gtx). I was forced to buy a more pwerful PSU because of the issues I was having with it powering my 7900 gtx when it was overlocked. So, I opted for the Silverstone 750.
July 24, 2006 7:17:23 PM

Quote:

yup. my Orange sticker on my NeoHE is soooo purty...

I wasn't gonna admit that the green glow from the mushkin looks good. My son would say he likes those green LEDs but I'd never admit to it here. I'm more of a red person, like blood red, so why would green LEDs appeal to me anyway?
July 24, 2006 7:18:56 PM

It might appeal to a Vulcan
July 24, 2006 7:18:59 PM

Quote:
the FX700 only has 15 amps across it's 12v rails. That's kinda weakish. It had issues powering my 7900 gtx when it was overclocked.

I'm pretty sure that unit has the same rail fusion capability as the mushkin so the 15A rail rating shouldn't matter. Hmmm, must dig deeper...
July 24, 2006 7:22:05 PM

XFX Tech Support told me that it was the 15amps on my rails that was the problem. Now, having worked as tech support at various points in my life for a few companies I know that they could have just been giving me a line. However, to play it safe I chose a more powerful PSU and haven't had any issues since.
July 24, 2006 7:22:46 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong Rev, I like the FSP FX700. I used it in my main rig for awhile. Now, though, I am using it in one of my other rigs (with a 7800 gtx). I was forced to buy a more pwerful PSU because of the issues I was having with it powering my 7900 gtx when it was overlocked. So, I opted for the Silverstone 750.

Those Silverstones are pretty nice too. This OCZ psu is looking like a pretty great option for the OP, though -- particularly when you consider the price.
July 24, 2006 7:26:39 PM

I know that the PSU calculator is not really that accurate but I do like using it as a guideline sometimes when I am trying to get an idea about my energy demands. It put my total watt demands for my system at 636. Since I do overclock I know that it doesn't take that into consideration so I opted for a 750 watt PSU over a 700 one, else, I would have either chosen the OCZ model OR the Xclio modular 750 (which has an extremely high efficiency rating)
July 24, 2006 8:18:33 PM

Quote:
XFX Tech Support told me that it was the 15amps on my rails that was the problem. Now, having worked as tech support at various points in my life for a few companies I know that they could have just been giving me a line. However, to play it safe I chose a more powerful PSU and haven't had any issues since.

I hear you on that. My nvidia fiasco this spring caused me to go from what I thought was overkill to over-overkill. Straight shot to the Group W bench.

Blood'n'gore, veins in my teeth, kill, kill, kill!!!
!