Upadated AMD road map too aggressive?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Does anyone think AMD’s push to accelerate its Uarch development program and deployment dates may be a bit too aggressive and result in the release of immature/flawed products?

Does anyone think this new plan may smell a bit of fear?

Does anyone believe it would be better, in the long run, for AMD to stick to its original plan in order to insure it releases a quality, competitive product?

Peace

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Does anyone think AMD’s push to accelerate its Uarch development program and deployment dates may be a bit too aggressive and result in the release of immature/flawed products?

I don't think they're going to push the dates ahead. I think they're just giving people what they want to hear. They've been pretty quiet since Intel IDF, and it can't be too reassuring for their loyal customers...so a little embelishment can go a long way. Tell them that you're ahead of schedule, then as the date draws nearer, say...whoops...we're having a few tiny setbacks....but nothing to worry about.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I don't think they're going to push the dates ahead. I think they're just giving people what they want to hear. They've been pretty quiet since Intel IDF, and it can't be too reassuring for their loyal customers...so a little embelishment can go a long way. Tell them that you're ahead of schedule, then as the date draws nearer, say...whoops...we're having a few tiny setbacks....but nothing to worry about.

Interesting point. What do you think the repercussions to AMD could be if this is in fact their plan?

On a different note, would you agree that this "tactic" seems a bit like some of Intel’s tactics of old?

Peace

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ya intel dose it all the time. but here the thing. If Amd and Intel are in for a race let them do it. Who will it help? Well the answer easy Us. So let them have the speed race.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Interesting point. What do you think the repercussions to AMD could be if this is in fact their plan?

On a different note, would you agree that this "tactic" seems a bit like some of Intel’s tactics of old?

PeaceThe repercussions with their loyal fans should not be bad. They are faithful through thick and thin. OEM's, especially DELL may not be impressed if AMD can't deliver(which is what DELL's really banking on with this new deal with AMD), and with constant pressure from Intel- perfomance-wise, power-wise, and price-wise, could push DELL to just say..forget it....bad idea..you couldn't deliver in spades, just like before.
That's what i could foresee happening, but time will tell. It seems to me that DELL's deal with AMD is just a bargaining tool for now.

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I think AMD will not olny not make the new date, but probably miss their original date as well. It's all just marketing PR hype. Think about how many projects are completed on time in the development world, what makes AMD think they are any different.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
The repercussions with their loyal fans should not be bad. They are faithful through thick and thin. OEM's, especially DELL may not be impressed if AMD can't deliver(which is what DELL's really banking on with this new deal with AMD), and with constant pressure from Intel- perfomance-wise, power-wise, and price-wise, could push DELL to just say..forget it....bad idea..you couldn't deliver in spades, just like before.
That's what i could foresee happening, but time will tell. It seems to me that DELL's deal with AMD is just a bargaining tool for now.

Interesting. That is one of my worries for AMD. Rushing an immature product out the door, losing face, and losing sales. I think the greatest danger to AMD right now is themselves. Core 2 is a blow to AMD, but I think they run a much greater risk by pushing an immature product out the door in an attempt to compete, rather than riding the storm and waiting to release their product when it is truly ready.

Peace

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
This PR stunt from AMD is mostly just an attempt to keep investors from jumping ship. This new timetable is not realistic. They would need a miracle to pull off 45nm ahead of schedule. Don't believe me? Just look how far behind they are on 65nm. Seen any 65nm AM2 samples yet? I havent.

Hector's comments about "benchmarks no longer matter" was just laughable.

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Personally, I think both companies can be a whole lot more aggressive than they have been. They've been holding back for years because there wasn't really the need for super computers on the average desktop. Now they're realizing that they can actually make money in the non-mass markets and all bets are off. It will be an interesting few years of huge R&D budgets. Good news for those of us who like high powered computers on our desktops. :)

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
It's funny how when the K8 was destroying the P4, the Horde people thought Intel was standing idly by, and now the Intelbies think that AMD hasn't done anything in the last 3 years but milk their product, too. Both companies are just seeing how much the media is affecting their stock prices and thus, their share-holders. They have both be more prepared than they look for all of this, but if they look too-prepared too often, it'd get really hard to sell current chips. It's bad enough that the top-of-the-line computers from summer of '05 are at best mid-range this year. That trend has been going on for 20+ years, and is itself a pain. Everytime you get something new, it's going to be obsolete when you get it out of the package. That's tech. Too bad.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
You stole my topic lol :p
my topic and poll
take the poll peeps

Maybe people posted in this thread because:

[*:93ceae17dc]The title is not flamebait
[*:93ceae17dc]The title and associated post is readable
[*:93ceae17dc]The parent of this thread makes sense and asks reasonable questions
[*:93ceae17dc]Your post is nonsensical at best

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
You stole my topic lol :p
my topic and poll
take the poll peeps

Maybe people posted in this thread because:

[*:a9fd0b64fd]The title is not flamebait
[*:a9fd0b64fd]The title and associated post is readable
[*:a9fd0b64fd]The parent of this thread makes sense and asks reasonable questions
[*:a9fd0b64fd]Your post is nonsensical at best

how the fuck is my post nonsensical and unreadable? I asked reasonable questions and mentioned more than this thread did so stfu
the reason i changed the title to that was because it was an attention grabber and no flaming has happened yet.