Solution for using Media Works on Palm's Tungsten Models

Last response: in Network Providers
October 27, 2004 10:55:41 PM

Description of Problem:
One of the problems with the Palm's tungsten models is that the AP
setting is hard coded in the phone drivers. To makes matters worse,
being Cingular official policy is that the Media Works package can not
be tethered to anything, so nobody at Palm wrote wrote a driver to use
wap.cinguar. Palm and Cingular only support the more expensive isp.cingular.

Solution:
Here is a solution for all tungsten users. It really isn't a secret, but
being I spent several mounts looking for a solution without success, I
figured I would post it now that I've got it working.

First, if your exact phone isn't listed as one of the specific supported
phone drivers, just pick the closest thing and pair the two devices. For
example I'm using the Nokia 3650 driver with the Nokia 6620.

Next go under preferences and network and create a new network
connection using the following settings.

Service Name: Cingular GPRS (name not important)

User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (ALL CAPS)
Password: CINGULAR1 (ALL CAPS)

Connection: LAN to Phone (you may need to create this under "edit
connections")

Up till now everything is the same as with a computer connection, but
this is were some hacking was required to get it to work. Palm's default
scripts used tags such as GPRS1, GPRS2, and GPRS3. The problem is the
values of these tags are hard coded and can't be changed. In fact, I
haven't even been able find out what many of them send. Well forget them
as we are not going to use them.

Ok from the networking screen click "details" and a the Details screen
appears. Verify the following settings:

Connection Type: PPP
Idle timeout: 3 Minutes
Query DNS: Checked
IP Address: Checked Automatic

Next click "script" so we can totally rewrite the script.

Now you should see a screen with all the "GPRSx" tags. Click on the
first line and change the tag to "End". This will clear the entire
script go you can start from scratch. Now change the script to the to
the following:

Send: atz
Send CR:
Send: at+cgdcont=1,"IP",WAP.CINGULAR","0.0.0.0",0,0
Send CR:
Delay: 1
Send: atd*99#
Send CR:
End:

Now save your changes and see if you can connect.

Enjoy
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:59:27 PM

In <417FEF7B.10205@usenetjunk.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:55:41 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>Cingular official policy is that the Media Works package can not
>be tethered to anything

I can find no such restriction. Link?

October 28, 2004 7:30:21 PM

John Navas wrote:
>>Cingular official policy is that the Media Works package can not
>>be tethered to anything
>

> I can find no such restriction. Link?

Ok wrong use of words. Cingular will not support you if your attempted
to connect a GPRS phone to a computer or PDA using wap.cingular. As far
as I know its not written anywhere. However they will support using you
if your using isp.cingular. By no means, does this mean you can't
connect a computer or pda to a phone using phone using wap.cinguler,
just they will not help you do it. :-)
October 29, 2004 12:59:32 AM

In <418110C3.6060004@usenetjunk.com> on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:30:21 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>>>Cingular official policy is that the Media Works package can not
>>>be tethered to anything
>>
>> I can find no such restriction. Link?
>
>Ok wrong use of words. Cingular will not support you if your attempted
>to connect a GPRS phone to a computer or PDA using wap.cingular. As far
>as I know its not written anywhere. However they will support using you
>if your using isp.cingular. By no means, does this mean you can't
>connect a computer or pda to a phone using phone using wap.cinguler,
>just they will not help you do it. :-)

Agreed. Thanks for the clarification.

October 29, 2004 8:32:26 PM

and they will charge you per KB for data using a tethered device...and
yes they can tell how...I don't know how...but my data was split and
charged accordingly....

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:59:32 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <418110C3.6060004@usenetjunk.com> on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:30:21 GMT, "R.M"
><usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>>> I can find no such restriction. Link?
>>
>>Ok wrong use of words. Cingular will not support you if your attempted
>>to connect a GPRS phone to a computer or PDA using wap.cingular. As far
>>as I know its not written anywhere. However they will support using you
>>if your using isp.cingular. By no means, does this mean you can't
>>connect a computer or pda to a phone using phone using wap.cinguler,
>>just they will not help you do it. :-)
>
>Agreed. Thanks for the clarification.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 9:48:07 PM

Cingular doesn't have a "tethered" device charge. That's AT&T Wireless (now
part of Cingular), not the (old) Cingular.