Sign in with
Your question

Dual booting issue

Last response: in Windows 8
December 4, 2012 3:09:26 PM

I have windows 8 ios burnt to a usb, got everything partitioned and such, changed the bios for my computer so that itll load all my usb stuff first. However when I plug in my usb, restart my computer and try booting off my usb it still goes stright to windows 7 as if I didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

More about : dual booting issue

December 4, 2012 5:27:09 PM

zahlerk said:
I have windows 8 ios burnt to a usb, got everything partitioned and such, changed the bios for my computer so that itll load all my usb stuff first. However when I plug in my usb, restart my computer and try booting off my usb it still goes stright to windows 7 as if I didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

I would think your USB is not a bootable media.
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:32:28 PM

zahlerk said:

Yea you can't just burn the image to your usb. You have to make your Flash Drive bootable. Do a google search.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 4, 2012 6:34:44 PM

I'm Guessing that you are tring to Install windows 8 from USB drive, NOT run windows 8 from USB drive. Don't think you can run windows from a "portable" USB drive.

1) For Daul booting I highly recommend using two seperate drives. There are a couple of advantages: Biggest one - NO software Boot manager that can mess up BOTH operating systems. I've set up a couple of systems this way.
1: Connect ONLY The HDD that you want to install windows to. Do the Installation.
2: Disconnect that drive and connect the 2nd drive and Install the next OS.
When done, connect up both HDDs and set priority in BIOS to the OS that you will use most often, just say Windows 7. Now to secect Windows 8 during the Post hit the Hot Key that brings up the Boot menu (F12 in my Gigabyte MB and F11 in My Asrock MB). This will display all Bootable drives, just select the drive that Has window 8 on it. NOTE this doe NOT change Boot priority in BIOS. Works Like a Charm. If you reboot, it will automatically go back to drive set in bios UNLESS you again hit the Hot Key.

For setting up a USB drive to INSTALL windows 8, See: http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/create-a-bootable-us...
m
l
!