mustaffa

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to build my first PC, and am kinda torn between Intel and AMD (actually leaning towards Intel due to all the studies that have been done). The reason why I would I'm considering going AMD is because of a mild "familiarity" with it.

However, if I went with Intel, I am totally clueless as to what mobo might be best (keeping in mind future upgradeability). I have around $200 to spend on a good mobo, but can budge a bit for the one that's best for me.

Oh, one last question - how far will the 775 socket-series of mobo take me, upgradeability-wise?

Any help I could grab from any old pros in the forum would be much appreciated, as I'm totally new to building PC's.

Thanks! :D

Unfortunately, to future proof the board as much as possible, you'll need to spend a bit more than $200. I was thinking of the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 for you, because it supports Conroe, but also supports Kentsfield (Intel's upcoming quad core CPU). With some luck though, the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 may support Kentsfield, although my guess is it will definitly need a BIOS update before being able to house a Kentsfield chip.

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
As for AMD vs. Intel, AMD is usually cheaper, but while Intel is usually more expensive, it will probably have better performance (especially with Conroe).