p.c keeps re-starting

I have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp home and when I power up my
computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
start up next time.I have a high speed cable internet provider and half the
time I loose my settings to log onto the internet. I also have Norton
Antivirus. This started about 3 weeks ago. Once the p.c is up and running I
am o.k
could this be a trojan or virus or my power supply?

Any suggestions?

Tim.
2 answers Last reply
More about starting

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Gauthier" <sandigauthier@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp home and when I power up my
    > computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
    > sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
    > start up next time.I have a high speed cable internet provider and half
    > the
    > time I loose my settings to log onto the internet. I also have Norton
    > Antivirus. This started about 3 weeks ago. Once the p.c is up and running
    > am o.k
    > could this be a trojan or virus or my power supply?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Tim.

    Try reseating your video and memory cards. Run a check on your memory,
    although the memory check programs do not always correctly identify memory
    problems. Try disconnecting a device that takes power from the PS and see
    if it makes a difference. If you have upgraded with new internal hardware
    it might be the PS. Download adaware from lavasoft and see if spyware is
    present, but it is liklier hardware. Powering down should be OK since you
    already have a problem and you might as well find out what it is.

    "Gauthier" <sandigauthier@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp home and when I power up my
    > computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
    > sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
    > start up next time.I have a high speed cable internet provider and half
    > the
    > time I loose my settings to log onto the internet. I also have Norton
    > Antivirus. This started about 3 weeks ago. Once the p.c is up and running
    > am o.k
    > could this be a trojan or virus or my power supply?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Tim.

Windows XP