Intel price cuts kick in - early?

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
I have become a victim of the price war. The price cuts have begun to roll out already. I thought they weren't due til next week at the earliest???

I stupidly bought a Pentium D 960 last month for £360. It's now been reduced to £230.

Ouch!

I've ordered an E6700, and I'm now considering dropping down to the E6600 to try to recoup some of my loses. I'll take a look at Tom's Core 2 Duo benchmarks again to make my final decision. I really wanted the E6700 as it trumps the FX-62. The E6600 kind of matches it... which feels somewhat disappointing. :cry:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have become a victim of the price war. The price cuts have begun to roll out already. I thought they weren't due til next week at the earliest???

I stupidly bought a Pentium D 960 last month for £360. It's now been reduced to £230.

Ouch!

I've ordered an E6700, and I'm now considering dropping down to the E6600 to try to recoup some of my loses. I'll take a look at Tom's Core 2 Duo benchmarks again to make my final decision. I really wanted the E6700 as it trumps the FX-62. The E6600 kind of matches it... which feels somewhat disappointing. :cry:
The 6600 is the better buy anyways, especially if you're gonna overclock. Don't fret. :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I really wanted the E6700 as it trumps the FX-62. The E6600 kind of matches it... which feels somewhat disappointing. :cry:

I don't understand this logic whatsoever. I tend to set a budget, then typically decide to exceed it and therefore re-set a budget, then fiddle with parts lists until I've yet again exceeded the budget. Eventually I come to some sort of purchase list and go for it. I would never worry about trumping or matching an older-generation CPU or any other part. Compare to make a buying decision? Sure.

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
That wasn't the sole logic to my buying decision. It's about performance vs. price. I will stretch to a little more if I can be convinced it's worth it and that it will depreciate less.

It might be more financially sensible to set a budget and stick to it... but I'm not a financially sensible person. Although I do aim to make a purchase which will retain more of its original value. That value is based on market interest. Market interest is based on performance. The big spenders want performance basically.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Why did you buy the Pentium D 960 if you were just planning on getting a conroe? I can understand if you needed something for a short period of time but you could have waited and saved 360. I was always told(and I usually ignored it) that patience is a virtue. In this case its a virtue that would have saved you a chuck of money.

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
The price cuts were announced a week after I bought the 960. I didn't expect them. Whenever Intel has launched new processors (maybe not revolutionary new ones like Conroe) before existing ones didn't have such a dramatic reduction. When was the last time we saw this level of price war which resulted in £130 price cuts?

Hindsight affects our opinions on these things. I watch Tom's all the time and the inquirer and I keep an ear to the ground all the time. Somehow I didn't see this coming until it appeared on the usual sites in early June... a week after I'd bought the damn thing. I only have one desktop PC. I needed to move on my Pentium EE 840 before it devalued and I needed something to keep me going for a couple of months. At the time, I thought that the 960 would retain its value right up to the launch of Conroe and possible for a little while afterwards. It's a great processor.

My whole point is that I was unlucky. I just wanted to moan as well as notify that the price cuts had began.

RichPLS

Champion
The E6600 is the better buy, especially considering it will overclocck about identically to the E6700 making it an equal performer to it, just at a lower price point...

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
I know... it definitely is the best value one to go for. I am tempted by that too. Save 150... literally get the same thing.

BUT I suppose by the same thing you could say that you can overclock the E6700 to match the non-overclocked X6800. So which is the better value. The one which matches a CPU which is 150 dearer... or one which matches a CPU which is 300 dearer.

:lol: You see my gift is an ability to talk myself into anything. TODAY... I nearly bought the X6800 because I thought I was going to get a bargain on ebay. I'm out of control!

RichPLS

Champion
If you got it, at least enjoy it! :wink: But remember around the corner always will be something better, so enjoy what you can afford today... and some find it more enjoyable if they can get superior performance with minimal outlay of cash.