Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video and game and probably other Issues

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 21, 2006 3:31:23 PM

So, my roommate moved out, and gave me a computer he built. I had some games from my other computer, and decided to try this one out. The games will install, but won't play. Also, videos will not play, DVD's, MPG's, etc, unless I have the hardware accelerator in the mid settings. So, I dunno. I'm lost. Any ideas?

This is a Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHZ 1.5 gigs of ram, NVidia GeForce 6600 video card.

More about : video game issues

July 21, 2006 3:47:40 PM

Could be malware or a Virus. Try running some AV and spyware removal just to be sure nothing is being blocked by a virus similar to the Ddos attacks.
July 21, 2006 4:23:02 PM

Well the hardware should easily play games. My buddy has a 6600GT and plays Quake4 with no troubles. I think you most likely have to update the video drivers, and also you need a DVD decoder to play video's. This is usually on the CD that came with the card originally. Alternatively you can install a DVD application to provide a software decoder. If you have a copy of WinDVD or Nero you should be able to get it to play movies again.

PS:
PCcashCow is right, you should always keep up on the Virus and Spam scans and updates if your a Windows user. This stuff moves fast and causes some weird behavior of PCs sometimes.
Related resources
July 21, 2006 4:25:46 PM

I've actually have tried downloading drivers, and reinstalling software, downloading drivers, but, it's still poo. I've ran spyware too. I may try and reformat, and see if that answers the problems.
July 21, 2006 4:30:52 PM

get filemon for winternals, when you enact an exe file see what you come up with. Also try running hijackthis
July 21, 2006 4:39:59 PM

Some games come bundled with hardware:
EX: Video Adapters
In many cases these games are locked to the device. ATI used to do this alot. Can you run OpenGL screen savers? Like 3DText for example?

The DVD hardware decoder is not included in the downloaded drivers. You need to download the decoder (Which will require proof of purchase, serial # or previous Driver CD). I know ATI offers replacements for about $10.00 and a serial# not sure about Nvidia's policy on this one.

This is a pain in the neck, but the Hollywood types are scared stiff you might steal the movies they make causing them to make merely millions of dollars,
instead of billions.

Last time I checked Cassette tapes didn't wipe out the Music Industry. But they're suing people because they're too lazy to keep up with current technology trends. I'm waiting for the RIAA to write an application to scratch all my LPs so I cant record them nomore. LOL!
July 21, 2006 4:48:35 PM

Sure doesn't sound like a virus/spyware if things work better when you turn down the graphics accelerator option.

In this case since its a computer that just got given to you and it probably doesnt have any of your stuff on it yet, I would say start fresh with a clean install. I normally leave that for a last resort but the last thing you want is traces of your old roommate roaming around your computer for the next year. Plus, it'll let you know whether its a software problem or not! :) 
July 21, 2006 4:56:10 PM

that's what i was thinking, i'm just digging around for the copies of xp and stuff now. :|
July 21, 2006 5:04:19 PM

Quote:
Sure doesn't sound like a virus/spyware if things work better when you turn down the graphics accelerator option.

In this case since its a computer that just got given to you and it probably doesnt have any of your stuff on it yet, I would say start fresh with a clean install. I normally leave that for a last resort but the last thing you want is traces of your old roommate roaming around your computer for the next year. Plus, it'll let you know whether its a software problem or not! :) 

How will a reinstall let you know if its a software problem? Xp is adaptive and a reinstall will mask the problem until the environmental variable rises again. Reinstall if you don't care what the problem is and want a quick fix, or dig deeper. And yes malware and denial of service attacks can, Im not saying it is in this case, effect the way media exe's functions. Graphics accelerator options only dictate system resources that the OS points to, if an attack or corruption points to a dll that triggers the bug, then you'll have this problem. Again run filemon if you care to dig deeper and check event logs, otherwise dump it.
July 21, 2006 5:16:45 PM

Quote:
How will a reinstall let you know if its a software problem?

It will be quite easy to tell if it was a software problem if the issue doesn't come back after a reinstall. I agree that if the issue does come back after a reinstall it doesn't mean that it is definately a hardware problem, but that's not what I said.


Quote:
And yes malware and denial of service attacks can, Im not saying it is in this case, effect the way media exe's functions.

I can't think of a single spyware/virus that has media dll corruption symptoms as its mo, please enlighten me.
July 21, 2006 5:28:10 PM

Re-Installing still wont provide a hardware DeCoder either. Kinda like re- building your car because the seat belt light is on. Only to find the light is still on when your finished and all you had to do is click the belt.

1. What version Video driver are you runnig?
2. What are your settings under said driver?
3. Did you install a DVD DeCoder? (If not DVDs will not play)

Did you remove the old drivers from the Control Panel prior to installing the new ones as they suggest on Nvidia's site?
WinXP tries to install drivers when it detects hardware, did you tell it to cancel and install the Nvidia drivers? Did you disable your antivirus as they suggest on Nvidia's site? Can you do OpenGL screen savers as I asked in my previous post?
Did you review the Event viewer logs for errors?

IMO, you should answer these questions first. Could save you a lot of time and trouble.
July 21, 2006 5:29:26 PM

Quote:
Re-Installing still wont provide a hardware DeCoder either. Kinda like re- building your car because the seat belt light is on. Only to find the light is still on when your finished and all you had to do is click the belt.

1. What version Video driver are you runnig?
2. What are your settings under said driver?
3. Did you install a DVD DeCoder? (If not DVDs will not play)

Did you remove the old drivers from the Control Panel prior to installing the new ones as they suggest on Nvidia's site?
WinXP tries to install drivers when it detects hardware, did you tell it to cancel and install the Nvidia drivers? Did you disable your antivirus as they suggest on Nvidia's site? Can you do OpenGL screen savers as I asked in my previous post?
Did you review the Event viewer logs for errors?

IMO, you should answer these questions first. Could save you a lot of time and trouble.

Agreed
July 21, 2006 5:39:00 PM

Unless OP was wrong, he said that he couldn't play DVD's or MPG's unless he turned down the acceleration slider.

1. Installing a DVD Decoder isn't going to help him playback MPG's, unless they are MPEG2 files i suppose. (unlikely)
2. If what he said is accurate, he can play DVD's when the slider is down; so I guess he has a DVD Decoder already installed.
July 21, 2006 5:41:25 PM

Can you duplicate the problem under other profiles?
July 21, 2006 6:02:16 PM

I'm using version 91.31 for NVidia
The settings are at 32 bit color, and the screen res is at 1024X768, not sure if that's the info you wanted for the settings, I'm not the sharpest spoon in the cookie jar when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah, I have a DVD decoder, the DVD's play when I have the hardware acceleration down from full to halfway.

I did remove the old drivers, and disabled the anti-virus. I can do the OpenGL screen savers as long as the acceleration is down to the middle. I have just checked the Event viewer logs, and I can't find any errors. So, I dunno.
July 21, 2006 6:14:03 PM

I still say, if I got given a computer by a friend, the first thing I would want to do (whether it had a problem or not) would be to clean the shit off and start fresh. (but not before checking out his/her pr0n collection)
July 21, 2006 6:15:56 PM

I guess if there is nothing more to do than format and install.
July 21, 2006 6:21:07 PM

good idea
July 21, 2006 6:35:41 PM

Quote:
that slider bar setting is disabling gdi and DD functions. if you slide it down more you can disable d3d also.
get a new video driver for the video card


Newer than 91.31 ??
!