Help: After windows boots everything disappears!!!

Briguy131

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
This is a new computer I’m building for my Uncle, and the problem is that after windows boots it starts to load all the programs like normal but then suddenly the toolbar and desktop icons disappear and the only thing you can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del, you can’t even right click on the desktop.

I booted into safe mode and check the Event Log and I think this may be the culprit:

Source: Winlogon
Event ID: 1002
Discription: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

I’ve researched that event ID, and none of the fixes worked. A little help would be appreciated. Thanks

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Asus A8N-E
EVGA Geforce 7600 GT

Briguy131

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Tried that, didn't work. This is also the second time this computer has done this. The first time I just reinstalled windows completely, but I guess I’m loading something each time that is making it do this, or its a hardware problem, but I doubt that.

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Try to run the systemfile checker (you need the installation CD and may be the service pack CD):

"sfc /scannow" from the command prompt

This will identify any corrupt system file and replace them.

If this does not work - reinstal the OS.

Be sure to delete the partition and recreate it just to be sure no viruses are hanging on.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Yeah TheChristopher is right, make sure you deleting all the partitions tables and formating them. Also check you disk, make sure that its a clean one. When you do the sfc you'll need you disk, also you can run it while in the taskmgr under the applications tab, file new task(run).

Briguy131

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks for the help. I ran systemfile checker from the task manager, but it didn't work. I'm thinking about completely reinstalling again, but am afraid of it just doing it all over again.

I was thinking that the "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted." is a symptom not the problem. Like something else is making it mess up, but I have actually no idea exactly what is making it mess up.

Briguy131

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I give up. I'm going to reinstall using this other WinXP disk I have. It looks cleaner other one. Lets hope that this dosn't happen again.