Can deleting a Junction Point break AD?

helpme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001

While migrating an old domain sysvol data was copied and now one of our
servers has 3 sysvol folders. I'd like to delete the extra junction points
using linkd.exe but have been advised that AD may not start correctly once
the server is rebooted.

Is this true?

"" wrote:
> While migrating an old domain sysvol data was copied and now
> one of our
> servers has 3 sysvol folders. I'd like to delete the extra
> junction points
> using linkd.exe but have been advised that AD may not start
> correctly once
> the server is rebooted.
>
> Is this true?

it depends... a DC only uses ONE SYSVOL. You need to find out which
SYSVOL is the SYSVOL the DC uses

Type a NET SHARE to see what the path is of the SYSVOL share. In my
opinion the other SYSVOL paths can be deleted.

However, still trying to understand how and why this has happened

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-deleting-Junction-Point-break-AD-ftopict401003.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327121

helpme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto

Yes...The SYSVOL share is setup (C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol) and the SYSVOL
structure is OK including junctions.

Staging junction: C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\staging\domain
Sysvol junction: C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\domain

I've also check out the sysvol registry parameter and the FRS details in AD
and it all looks OK.

fRSRootPath: C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\domain
fRSStagingPath: C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\staging\domain
Sysvol parameter in registry: C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol

There is only one actual sysvol folder the 2 extra junctions pointing to
C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\domain. These are using the old domain name so I think it
will be OK to just remove them.

Cheers

"" wrote:
> While migrating an old domain sysvol data was copied and now
> one of our
> servers has 3 sysvol folders. I'd like to delete the extra
> junction points
> using linkd.exe but have been advised that AD may not start
> correctly once
> the server is rebooted.
>
> Is this true?

Hi

before deleting any SYSVOL from the DC make sure what is the value in
the registry and which SYSVOL is being used by the DC

so navigate to the following registry and check it

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesNetlogonParameters

and on the right side look for the value of the sysvol
it will show you which sysvol is being used by the DC

and then you can simply go ahead and delete the other SYSVOLs

if it is a Windows 2000 DC then use linkd.exe
and if it is 2003 DC then you can easily delete those SYSVOLs without
using linkd

---
Nitin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-deleting-Junction-Point-break-AD-ftopict401003.html