Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Smartpower
  • Antec
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 21, 2006 4:49:28 PM

Greetings! I'm piecing together a system shortly and went with the Antec Sonata II case due to my positive experiences with it in the past and overall just really liking this case a lot. Also ordered an Asus P5W DH Deluxe board and plan on matching it up with a Core E6600.

Question - has anyone run this PSU with a 7950GX2 card? I'm kind of kicking myself right now because while I love the case, it would be a pity to have to replace the PSU right off the bat if I did take the plunge and purchase that card. I could have just saved myself the hassle and went with maybe an Antec P180 case and a beefier PSU.

Thanks in advance!

More about : antec smartpower 450 7950gx2

July 21, 2006 5:11:07 PM

While that is a nice case and psu I think you are right on the edge of whether it will power that monster card. It might actually come down to how many other components, hdd's, optical, fans... etc that you have running on the 12v rail. If you plan to OC that cpu then you should definitely get a better psu.

Is it too late to exchange it?
July 21, 2006 5:11:17 PM

It should be enough, even with 50 watts headroom at peak...
But I would not advise any smaller...
Related resources
July 21, 2006 5:19:38 PM

check here for a very good psu calculator.

From what I can gather you will be ok, but it really depends on how many other components you have. w/ just one optical, one hd, a sound card (no other pci cards) and no external devices you should be fine. If you have more then you can get very close to the max of that psu, and that is never good for longevity. ;) 
July 21, 2006 6:25:43 PM

Thanks for the replies! I have another option which I might pursue. I recently replaced the power supply in one of my secondary PC's (my fileserver, essentially) with an Antec TruePower 480. I might swap out the Sonata PS with that for a bit of extra juice.

I also do not plan on having many devices in this new system. 2 hard drives max, 2 DVD drives and a soundcard.

Regards,
Joe
July 21, 2006 6:41:03 PM

Quote:
check here for a very good psu calculator.

From what I can gather you will be ok, but it really depends on how many other components you have. w/ just one optical, one hd, a sound card (no other pci cards) and no external devices you should be fine. If you have more then you can get very close to the max of that psu, and that is never good for longevity. ;) 

yeah the 480w TP should run it. very little head room for overclocking. i'd recommend something bigger. 550w Truepower would be a good idea.
July 21, 2006 7:36:05 PM

I just replaced the 430w Antec NeoHE PSU in my P150 case (which has a very high efficiency so probably could have coped) with the 550w version, just to be on the safe side.

... and I've bought a X1900XT, which has lower power demands than the 7950GX2.

If you buy a beefier PSU, at least you know that you have the headroom in future for a hungrier graphics card or overclocked CPU.

Problems from a struggling PSU can be subtle at first and gradually manifest themselves over time. I'd say you would be better off upgrading it as I've done, better safe than sorry.

*However* because Antec PSU's generally have a higher efficiency than cheaper PSU's (my NeoHE offers an impressive 85%) I'm quite confident the 450w could cope... so the choice is yours.
!