2003 DC in 2000 AD

I would like to know if I can install a WIN2003 server as a DC in a Win2000
domain without extending the Schema or changing any roles on my current
win2000 Native mode domain?

We are replacing server hadware in a european office, and would like to use
a WIN2003 server as a DC.The nework currently has Exchaneg 2000 installed,
and will be upgraded to win2003 within a few months.We do not want to upgrade
the domain to win200 at this stage.

From what I have found on TechNet, it suggest that this is not possible, but
any help would be usefull.
--
Warren Church
MCSE/MCSA 2000

"" wrote:
> I would like to know if I can install a WIN2003 server as a DC
> in a Win2000
> domain without extending the Schema or changing any roles on
> my current
> win2000 Native mode domain?
>
> We are replacing server hadware in a european office, and
> would like to use
> a WIN2003 server as a DC.The nework currently has Exchaneg
> 2000 installed,
> and will be upgraded to win2003 within a few months.We do not
> want to upgrade
> the domain to win200 at this stage.
>
> From what I have found on TechNet, it suggest that this is not
> possible, but
> any help would be usefull.
> --
> Warren Church
> MCSE/MCSA 2000

If you want to introduce w2k3 DCs you must extend the schema!

See:
MS-KBQ325379_How to Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows
Server 2003

MS-KBQ314649_W2K3 ADPREP Command Causes Mangled Attributes in W2K
Forests That Contain E2K Servers

MS-KBQ555040_Common Mistakes When Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain To
Windows 2003

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-2003-DC-2000-AD-ftopict401320.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327474

Warren Church wrote:
> I would like to know if I can install a WIN2003 server as a DC in a Win2000
> domain without extending the Schema or changing any roles on my current
> win2000 Native mode domain?
>
> We are replacing server hadware in a european office, and would like to use
> a WIN2003 server as a DC.The nework currently has Exchaneg 2000 installed,
> and will be upgraded to win2003 within a few months.We do not want to upgrade
> the domain to win200 at this stage.

You have to extend the schema and because You are using Exchagne 2000
You have to make a little patch first. This is well tested operation and
everything should go smoothly

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl