AMD AM2: Single core now, dual core later?

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I've got my Asus AM2 mob, 2gb Corsair XMS memory and im waiting monday for the price cuts.

As I was reading some articles today (killing time for Monday), I started to think that maybe I should go with a single-core CPU for the moment, then next year when prices fall farther down on dual core's, pick one up then.

I saw the price cut, and I can pick up a 3800+ Orleans CPU for about $100 and I could probably OC it to 2.6 easily and with aftermark HS, 2.7-2.8, which should be plenty.

I'm making this primarily a gaming rig. Other than that, I surf the net, listen to music, e-mail etc. I don't do a lot of video editing (I use my Mac for that!!).

Since current games cannot take advantage of dual core, why not wait until they do?

Any thoughts?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm getting the same system as you lol.... and i'm getting a x2 5000+ and then maybe in a couple years buy an uber AM3 processor. The 5000 is very cheap for its performance, so may aswell go with it.

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just upgraded to a 3800+ but not on am2, regular ddr. I am happy with my computer. it is blazing fast for games and regualr multitasking. I will be upgrading to an amd dual core(still ddr1) much later when their prices go realy down. imo dual core is not for me right now. Maybe in 2 years. single core is the way to go right now.

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I just upgraded to a 3800+ but not on am2, regular ddr. I am happy with my computer. it is blazing fast for games and regualr multitasking. I will be upgrading to an amd dual core(still ddr1) much later when their prices go realy down. imo dual core is not for me right now. Maybe in 2 years. single core is the way to go right now.

See, that is what im wondering.

Since I have a AM2 board, and bought DDR2 800 RAM, doesn't it make more sense that a 3800+ single core would do better than a 3800+ x2 or even a 4200+ x2 at gaming?

How much difference is there between a 3800+ and a 4200+ x2?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Well, the dual core does have an advantage indirectly to gaming... if a game only needs one core, the other core can take care of background stuff running in Windows (like a Firewall, anti-virus software, etc.).

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Well, the dual core does have an advantage indirectly to gaming... if a game only needs one core, the other core can take care of background stuff running in Windows (like a Firewall, anti-virus software, etc.).
I have thought about this. What if Microsoft were to go the gaming path like they did with movies and Media Edition? As in the operating system shuts down when gaming because it isn't needed and the Hardware devotes it's entire self to the game? That would be VERY interesting.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

Since I have a AM2 board, and bought DDR2 800 RAM, doesn't it make more sense that a 3800+ single core would do better than a 3800+ x2 or even a 4200+ x2 at gaming?

Single core chips' memory controllers are only set up for DDR2-667. Dual core chips are good up to DDR2-800. A single core chip is going to downclock the ram to 667.

If you look at the price tables though, an X2-3800 isn't much different in cost than a single core of the same speed. I actually bought the same rig too, and since two weeks ago I was willing to pay 150 for a single 3800 (the going rate then), I may as well pay 160 for an X2 (the going rate on monarch right now).

sektor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006

Single core chips' memory controllers are only set up for DDR2-667. Dual core chips are good up to DDR2-800. A single core chip is going to downclock the ram to 667.

If you look at the price tables though, an X2-3800 isn't much different in cost than a single core of the same speed. I actually bought the same rig too, and since two weeks ago I was willing to pay 150 for a single 3800 (the going rate then), I may as well pay 160 for an X2 (the going rate on monarch right now).

interesting. I did not know that single cores only ran at 667.
If I did buy the 3800+, and since I purchased DDR2 800, would the ram downclock to 667 and still work? More curious than anything else.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I've got my Asus AM2 mob, 2gb Corsair XMS memory and im waiting monday for the price cuts.

As I was reading some articles today (killing time for Monday), I started to think that maybe I should go with a single-core CPU for the moment, then next year when prices fall farther down on dual core's, pick one up then.

I saw the price cut, and I can pick up a 3800+ Orleans CPU for about $100 and I could probably OC it to 2.6 easily and with aftermark HS, 2.7-2.8, which should be plenty.

I'm making this primarily a gaming rig. Other than that, I surf the net, listen to music, e-mail etc. I don't do a lot of video editing (I use my Mac for that!!).

Since current games cannot take advantage of dual core, why not wait until they do?

Any thoughts?
Dual core now quad core later.

TRENDING THREADS