ATI x1900xt have a hanging problem

Nalster

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I have an ati x1900xt, and it seem to have problem with hanging during the games. Usually after 30 minutes into the game, my computer would freeze for a minute then its back to normal again. Anyone else have this problem with ATI X1900XT?

Nalster

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
AMD 64 3200+
ECS KN1 Lite with Nvidia chipset
SATA II seagate 160gb
680 Powermax PSU
1gb Corair Ram
Thermaltake tsunormi Dream. Great case. Temp alway say around 36-38*C

CPU Temp 40*C idel -50*C load and my GPU temp is around 50*C 58*C.
But I don't know why when i play game, it alway freeze for a minute or so.

Nalster

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I try to play two different games. One is Spellforce 2, Amazing Graphic. and WarCraft III ROC. They both acting the same. I don't if it the Graphic Card or the whole system that causing the hang up.

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Download ATI Tray Tools and put up the fan speed to at least 50%. Guru3d.com has this program. I have an X1900 XT flashed to XTX and sometimes I get Artifacts (little black or white speckles) which tells me that my card is running too hot. I put my fan speed up and this helped. Worth a try.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If it's not heat it may be the ram... it may be hanging while it's getting more data from the hard drive. If you had more ram this may not happen as more data can be stored on the ram at once and not have to read from the hard drive....

1gb should be enough for the games you play though, if it was happening on BF2 or something then it would definitely sound like insufficient ram.

Nalster

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
it is a new comp. regarding ram, 1gb is plenty of ram just for WarCraft III. I think its somthing else. Might it be the power supply?. I have a PowerMax 680W come with 20pin and a 4pin for the cup. I don't know what causing the problem. This is my first time using PCI Ex. Maybe i will upgrad the ram to 2gb. If anyone ever experience similar issued. PlZ post.

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
i have a x1900xt and i have problems with it in BF2... i cant explain it myself... it runs oblivion, fear, and CoD 2 fine but in battlefield it will run for 2-3 min and then freezeframe every 15 sec or so. my specs follow my post if anyone was wondering that. it even hangs in the menu screens... changing quality settings didnt help and neither did patching.... another weird thing is it did the same thing with VLC when playing any sort of video, from any of my HDD's. so now im forced to use other programs to play vids.

im thinking it could be the OS since i installed it from a Crappy dell oem cd.

any ideas?

Nalster

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
no i did not play online. and I don't have any of the anti virus install. but i have not defragment my drive yet.

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Stranger thanks for your time... my guess is im going to have to just do a OS wipe sometime anyway since i really doubt that my problem is hardware related... bummer though. i really hate dell OEM CD's... actually i just REALLY HATE DELL... they make good targets for shooting though! :D And Nalster good luck with your rig. Im an ATi fan. stick with them, they make good stuff. ive been with them since the Rage days.

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Sometimes replacing the RAM will fix glitches.

Do you have after market cooling on your x1900 card?

As a result, you might want to get a Zalman VF900.

It still might be too hot.

Sorry about your DELL, I recomend puting together a self made system.