Laserjet II "printer opwn" error

We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.

Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front panel
and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few seconds
the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time can
the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on the
cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.

I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
microswitch-OK.

I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.

I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there is
rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.

This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.

Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics or
just a DC power supply schematic?

John Knowles
Montreal
4 answers Last reply
More about laserjet printer opwn error

    I haven't remembered part numbers in a while, but you're sure this
    isn't a IIp or IIIp? Reason I ask, is the 12 Printer Open is a common
    failure to that printer.

    Raymond

    John Knowles wrote:
    > We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.
    >
    > Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front panel
    > and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few seconds
    > the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time can
    > the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
    > microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on the
    > cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.

    From www.fixyourownprinter.com

    Error 12 Printer Open no EP cartridge

    * Check that the toner cartridge is installed.
    * Check that the top cover is firmly closed.
    * On HP II/IID/III/IIID printers this error is usually caused by a
    bad DC power supply.
    * On HP IIP/IIP+/IIIP printers the primary cause is the density
    adjusting PCA. There is a slight possibility of it being a bad fan.
    There is also a slight possibility of the tab on the fuser access door
    above the MP tray breaking off and causing the error. If the fan starts
    to run, quits and you notice a burning odor, the scanner motor has
    failed and needs to be replaced. The problem can also be caused by a
    defective drum shutter on the toner cartridge.
    * On the 4/4M/4+/4M+ the tab on the top cover that actuates the
    door interlock could be broken.

    You say you have no +25 volt DC?

    Google is your friend

    Search terms "laserjet error 12 printer open"

    Lots of hits.

    Good luck

    It's a II and not a IIP and now has a functioning 24V supply. I removed the
    PC board and found a crack in the board caused, I think, by rough handling.
    There were several broken traces which I repaired. All I need now is a new
    separator pad!

    Thanks for reponding

    "John Knowles" <john.knowles@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.
    >
    > Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front panel
    > and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few
    seconds
    > the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time can
    > the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
    > microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on the
    > cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.
    >
    > I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
    > microswitch-OK.
    >
    > I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.
    >
    > I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there
    is
    > rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.
    >
    > This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics or
    > just a DC power supply schematic?
    >
    > John Knowles
    > Montreal

    John,
    Why do you need a separation pad? I've never had any problems with those.
    It's usually the paper feed roller that dries out. I can send you a
    separation pad for free if you want.
    Ken

    > It's a II and not a IIP and now has a functioning 24V supply. I removed
    the
    > PC board and found a crack in the board caused, I think, by rough
    handling.
    > There were several broken traces which I repaired. All I need now is a new
    > separator pad!
    >
    > Thanks for reponding
    >
    > "John Knowles" <john.knowles@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.
    > >
    > > Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front
    panel
    > > and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few
    > seconds
    > > the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time
    can
    > > the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
    > > microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on
    the
    > > cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.
    > >
    > > I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
    > > microswitch-OK.
    > >
    > > I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.
    > >
    > > I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there
    > is
    > > rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.
    > >
    > > This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics
    or
    > > just a DC power supply schematic?
    > >
    > > John Knowles
    > > Montreal

Printers Power Supplies Laserjet Peripherals