IP Addresses with Active Directory

Hi.
I have win2k adv srv as DC.. with 100 pcs connected to it..
using 192.168.x.x series of IP's
i m facing trouble like.. i have formatted one pc on network. reinstalled
with win2k pro with sp4. giving same ip to pc wat previously it has.. now i m
getting msg - this ip is already used in domain please use another ip..

i have deleted pc name from the computers in AD.. and tried the same IP
again but getting same msg

how do i correct this ?

thanks
saifee
4 answers Last reply
More about addresses active directory

    Saifee wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I have win2k adv srv as DC.. with 100 pcs connected to it..
    > using 192.168.x.x series of IP's
    > i m facing trouble like.. i have formatted one pc on network. reinstalled
    > with win2k pro with sp4. giving same ip to pc wat previously it has.. now i m
    > getting msg - this ip is already used in domain please use another ip..
    >
    > i have deleted pc name from the computers in AD.. and tried the same IP
    > again but getting same msg
    >
    > how do i correct this ?

    Are You using DHCP - if yes please check DHCP console on the server if
    this address is not leased by other client machine

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

    Hi..
    No I dont have DHCP..

    "Tomasz Onyszko" wrote:

    > Saifee wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > > I have win2k adv srv as DC.. with 100 pcs connected to it..
    > > using 192.168.x.x series of IP's
    > > i m facing trouble like.. i have formatted one pc on network. reinstalled
    > > with win2k pro with sp4. giving same ip to pc wat previously it has.. now i m
    > > getting msg - this ip is already used in domain please use another ip..
    > >
    > > i have deleted pc name from the computers in AD.. and tried the same IP
    > > again but getting same msg
    > >
    > > how do i correct this ?
    >
    > Are You using DHCP - if yes please check DHCP console on the server if
    > this address is not leased by other client machine
    >
    > --
    > Tomasz Onyszko
    > http://www.w2k.pl

    HI Jorge

    the exact msg is like : this ip address is already used in domain please use
    another ip address..

    while there is not repeatation of IP or duplicate name

    let me brief the scenario again :

    i have one pc say : abc with ip of 192.168.0.1 - OS: win2k pro sp4
    due to some problem with PC it was need to format completely and reinstall
    the OS,
    after reinstallation of OS when i put the same ip (i.e. 192.168.0.1) i m
    getting the above mentioned msg. i have deleted the computer object from AD
    too.. but the msg was the same. than at finally i have used the different
    fresh IP and machine was on domain without any trouble, and working fine as
    expected.

    so where i have to change to use the previous IP again in network

    thank you
    saifee

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > > I have win2k adv srv as DC.. with 100 pcs connected to it..
    > > using 192.168.x.x series of IP's
    > > i m facing trouble like.. i have formatted one pc on network.
    > > reinstalled
    > > with win2k pro with sp4. giving same ip to pc wat previously
    > > it has.. now i m
    > > getting msg - this ip is already used in domain please use
    > > another ip..
    > >
    > > i have deleted pc name from the computers in AD.. and tried
    > > the same IP
    > > again but getting same msg
    > >
    > > how do i correct this ?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > saifee
    >
    > what is the EXACT message? An IP address has nothing to do with an
    > domain. Are you havinf problems with duplicate names or IPs?
    >
    > Do you mean: a duplicate name exists on the network ?
    >
    > ping by name
    > if already used use another name
    > if not... go into WINS and delete entry that belongs to the name you
    > want to use
    >
    > ping by IP
    > if already used use another IP

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-IP-Addresses-ftopict401750.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1329016

    > http://www.usenet.com

    As Jorge mentioned, there is no connection to AD and the IP addresses. Active
    Directory doesn't care one bit about your IP addresses and doesn't store that info.

    The number one cause of duplicate IP messages is that there is another machine
    on the network that has the IP address. If you used DHCP this would be far less
    likely to happen. Since you don't, you can start with this. Take the machine
    offline and from another, try to ping the address, does it respond? If so, track
    it down. You will probably have to look at switch level MAC routing tables to
    find it.

    If it doesn't respond. Hook up your restaged machine to a hub with another
    machine. Set the other machine up with a network sniffer. Start the sniffer,
    start the machine getting the bad IP messages. Once it gets the message, look at
    the network traffic frame by frame, something is telling the PC that it is
    duplicating the address. Find out what it is.

    www.joeware.net

IP Active Directory Windows