No SLI with Conroe???

AllThingsGreek

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I've been told from a reliable source that Intel has an agreement with ATI, stating that Conroe motherboards will only support Crossfire for Dual GPU solutions.

Anyone hear anything about this?

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Correct. The enthusiast and professional market is still pretty small, the mainstream market is much more profitable. Comparatively speaking, there are very few people running with multi-GPU systems.

They're going to cater to whichever market makes them the most money, plain and simple.

Now, get everyone to run SLI or Crossfire, and then we'll talk. :roll:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't simply blame nVidia, motherboard manufacturers have known about workarounds to use former nVidia chipsets with Core2 for a while. Same workarounds as used to run Core2 with 975 chipsets. But nVidia is releasing new Intel chipsets, so they decided to wait, rather than update existing platforms.

Avat

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
From: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07/31/nvidia_to_support_sli_on_975x/

A report on Digitimes suggests that officials from Intel and NVIDIA have already met to discuss their future partnership.

Industry sources cited in the report indicate that NVIDIA will enable SLI support on Intel's chipsets in the near future, with an announcement coming from the two companies very soon.

[snip]

One thing looks certain though; NVIDIA will enable SLI on Intel's 975X chipset in the near future - it will be interesting to see how this affects the Intel/ATI partnership.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Even with Core 2 SLI games don't take advantage of it because the majority of gamers don't have or can aford two $600 cards for gaming. I could easly buy two 7800GTX's 512's, but programers will not make a game that would really take advantage of that. Markets way to small, heck HDTV is more mainsteam than SLI! Core 2 & one 512MB graphics card, 2GB RAM is more than enough!

Windfish

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Well, considering ATI are being bought by AMD, I can see the number of Nforce AMD motherboards decreasing. So I would imagine Nvidia would be doing all they can to make money from Intel boards, like releasing SLI chipsets.

brale

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Does not make any sense considering the partnership with ATI and AMD so if anything ATI will not support the new Intel chips.