Cannot establish trust 'tween 2000 & 2003 domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 28, 2005 5:19:37 PM

Herb was exemplary in helping me remove metadata from my domain. This is the
second part of my problem, though. I am trying to establish a trust between
a 2000 and 2003 external domain. Not part of the same forest, although they
replicate DNS between each other (yet they don't have a two way trust). I've
established a trust from 2003, but when I go to 2000, I get the error:

the x.com domain cannot be contacted. If this domain is a Windows domain,
the trust cannot be set up until the domain is contacted. yada yada yada.

I have x.com in DNS, I have x.com in hosts, I have the DC for x.com in WINS.
I can ping the DC. I can ping the x.com

2003 isn't running WINS.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:28:24 PM

never mind. It wanted the pre-2000 netbios name instead of .com. Why would
it do that, if anyone knows?

"Steve W" <sewasser@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Herb was exemplary in helping me remove metadata from my domain. This is
the
> second part of my problem, though. I am trying to establish a trust
between
> a 2000 and 2003 external domain. Not part of the same forest, although
they
> replicate DNS between each other (yet they don't have a two way trust).
I've
> established a trust from 2003, but when I go to 2000, I get the error:
>
> the x.com domain cannot be contacted. If this domain is a Windows domain,
> the trust cannot be set up until the domain is contacted. yada yada yada.
>
> I have x.com in DNS, I have x.com in hosts, I have the DC for x.com in
WINS.
> I can ping the DC. I can ping the x.com
>
> 2003 isn't running WINS.
>
> What the hell am I doing wrong?

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:35:41 AM

"" wrote:
> never mind. It wanted the pre-2000 netbios name instead of
> .com. Why would
> it do that, if anyone knows?
>

> "Steve W" <sewasser@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Herb was exemplary in helping me remove metadata from my
> domain. This is
> the
> > second part of my problem, though. I am trying to establish
> a trust
> between
> > a 2000 and 2003 external domain. Not part of the same
> forest, although
> they
> > replicate DNS between each other (yet they don't have a two
> way trust).
> I've
> > established a trust from 2003, but when I go to 2000, I get
> the error:
> >
> > the x.com domain cannot be contacted. If this domain is a Windows domain,
> > the trust cannot be set up until the domain is contacted.
> yada yada yada.
> >
> > I have x.com in DNS, I have x.com in hosts, I have the DC for x.com in
> WINS.
> > I can ping the DC. I can ping the x.com
> >
> > 2003 isn't running WINS.
> >
> > What the hell am I doing wrong?

As I know of Windows 2003 can use both DNS and NetBIOS names and
Windows 2000 can use only NetBIOS names... lets say... by design.. ;-)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-establish...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1330004
!