SP2 Install hung.......

As reported 2 days ago....I downloaded full 279M SP2
from website, burned it to CD, went offline, closed
down all I could and tried to install on a good clone
of my main system. It did a bunch
of initializing and looked like it was progressing
properly, and then halted with message
"Unable to read from or write to the database".
I closed that out and it then proceeded to tell me
"SP2 Setup error. Install did not complete".
It gave me no alternative but to recycle power and
switch the HD out and revert to this main system
(I'm glad I didn't try it first on my Main System
instead of a backup clone).

I just received two SP2 CDs from Microsoft. I'll use
them henceforth instead of what I downloaded.......
but I'm waiting for advice.......and thank you.
--
William B. Lurie

If you were installing directly from the CD you burned, you might try
copying the setup file to a temp folder on your hard drive and try
installing from there.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> If you were installing directly from the CD you burned, you might try
> copying the setup file to a temp folder on your hard drive and try
> installing from there.

What I did, Michael, was download the 279MB file and save
it to a folder named SP2, then I burned that to a CD, so
I almost did what you suggest. However, I will try to
install it from the 279MB .exe file that is in the folder.
I thought that the CD I created would be identical with
the CD which Microsoft was sending me (two of which
arrived today).

I'm curious to see what would happen if I just booted the
system cold, with Microsoft's CD in the drive. I wonder
what condition that drive is in altogether (but of course,
being a clone, I can make a new clone and write right over
what is on it now).

William B. Lurie

The cd you made is not bootable. Sometimes a cd you burn does not come out
quite right. If you continue to have problems you may need to download
again. SP2 cd's are also available at places like Office Depot.