Directory object not found during dcpromo

Upgraded NT PDC to Windows AD in a forest with other child domains. Than
setup a Windows 2000 member server, run dcpromo to promote it as a 2nd domain
controller but failed with "Directory object not found" error. Check KB and
events log and confirmed that error is due to missing built-in Administrator
account - account seem to be delete by AD due to duplicates. How to recover
from this?

Objective is to setup 2nd and 3rd DC, than decommission the PDC upgraded DC.
Forest already has 3 child domains promoted successfully from NT PDC.

Thanks for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about directory object found dcpromo

    "DavidT" <DavidT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Upgraded NT PDC to Windows AD in a forest with other child domains. Than
    > setup a Windows 2000 member server, run dcpromo to promote it as a 2nd
    domain
    > controller but failed with "Directory object not found" error. Check KB
    and
    > events log and confirmed that error is due to missing built-in
    Administrator
    > account - account seem to be delete by AD due to duplicates. How to
    recover
    > from this?

    Is the Win2000 server running SP4? (Technically SP3 plus some hot fixes
    is sufficient but there is practically zero reason to avoid SP4+).

    What did the Event Log (System locally, or System andAD on the DC) say?

    > Objective is to setup 2nd and 3rd DC, than decommission the PDC upgraded
    DC.
    > Forest already has 3 child domains promoted successfully from NT PDC.

    Next step would be to review DNS and check on the Domain Naming
    Master (allows domains into forest.)

    DCDiag is your friend -- run on all DCs (regularly).

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    "" wrote:
    > Upgraded NT PDC to Windows AD in a forest with other child
    > domains. Than
    > setup a Windows 2000 member server, run dcpromo to promote it
    > as a 2nd domain
    > controller but failed with "Directory object not found" error.
    > Check KB and
    > events log and confirmed that error is due to missing built-in
    > Administrator
    > account - account seem to be delete by AD due to duplicates.
    > How to recover
    > from this?
    >
    > Objective is to setup 2nd and 3rd DC, than decommission the
    > PDC upgraded DC.
    > Forest already has 3 child domains promoted successfully from
    > NT PDC.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I wonder how to do you get a duplicate administrator account

    first check out if the administrator really is gone

    use both the utils USER2SID and SID2USER (google)

    Take an existing user and run:
    USER2SID \<PDC> <existing user>

    the output will be something like:
    S-1-5-21-2023212167-3561086443-2747427212-11987
    ------------------------------------------------------- -------
    domain sid rid

    the administrator account has a RID of 500

    so execute now
    SID2USER \<PDC> 5 21 2023212167 3561086443 2747427212 500

    this should let you see with account is the builtin administrator
    account

    Try this first

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-object-found-dcpromo-ftopict402129.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1330504

    Thanks, will try this out. I did similar post in "Windows Server Active
    Directory" (by mistake as I thought first post was unsuccessful) and gotten
    good lead to go on. Question now is how to clean out the deleted
    administrator id without screwing up AD. Thanks for your help.

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > Upgraded NT PDC to Windows AD in a forest with other child
    > > domains. Than
    > > setup a Windows 2000 member server, run dcpromo to promote it
    > > as a 2nd domain
    > > controller but failed with "Directory object not found" error.
    > > Check KB and
    > > events log and confirmed that error is due to missing built-in
    > > Administrator
    > > account - account seem to be delete by AD due to duplicates.
    > > How to recover
    > > from this?
    > >
    > > Objective is to setup 2nd and 3rd DC, than decommission the
    > > PDC upgraded DC.
    > > Forest already has 3 child domains promoted successfully from
    > > NT PDC.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > I wonder how to do you get a duplicate administrator account
    >
    > first check out if the administrator really is gone
    >
    > use both the utils USER2SID and SID2USER (google)
    >
    > Take an existing user and run:
    > USER2SID \<PDC> <existing user>
    >
    > the output will be something like:
    > S-1-5-21-2023212167-3561086443-2747427212-11987
    > ------------------------------------------------------- -------
    > domain sid rid
    >
    > the administrator account has a RID of 500
    >
    > so execute now
    > SID2USER \<PDC> 5 21 2023212167 3561086443 2747427212 500
    >
    > this should let you see with account is the builtin administrator
    > account
    >
    > Try this first

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-object-found-dcpromo-ftopict402129.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1330504