Can't join Win 2000 Pro Client to Win 2000 Adv Server Doma..

Hi,
I've done everthing practically possible. Well...almost I'm sure.
Otherwise I won't be here.
I've setup & configured File & Printer sharing, TCP/IP, DNS Server & AD
on a test Win 2000 Adv Server. I've also setup & configured TCP/IP on
Win 2000 Pro client. Both of them pinging each other allright, even
pinging the domain.
Then, created a user in AD with admin rights & came back to the client
to use that account to join the client to the domain using Network
Identification.
I'm able to connect to the Domain only when I put in wrong user info
like may be the userame/password or both is incorrect. This is why:
How I know that the Client is connecting to the Domain...is when the
error message comes up saying that either username/password is unknown
or bad.
If I provide the network username correct & password incorrect, then it
says "The specified network password is not correct"
Fun part is: If I put in the correct username & password, it says "The
network name cannot be found" !!!
FYI, I've gone through 8 out of 10 docs related to lookup, resolution,
joining issues from MS support site.
I have no answers now. Thanks a lot in advance for any assitance on
this issue.
28 answers Last reply
More about join 2000 client 2000 server doma

    Hi Herb,

    Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I created confusion.
    For "You will not get logged on with a non-existent domain or incorrect
    password so that part makes zero sense without a careful and precise
    explanation."
    Answer: I've created a user in AD but did not check the password change
    on next logon or any other checkboxes in that list. FYI, I'd added the
    winpro client machine name to AD under the option in OU to add
    Computer.
    After configuring TCP to point to Domain...I try to join client to
    domain from the Network Identification tab-properties-Select Domain &
    type in Domain name. Then, in username & password section 'I put it in'
    ie, the username & password I created in AD earlier. This is when the
    said situations in my above message happens.

    For: "Ordinary users CAN join machines to a domain so if you mean you
    used a DIFFERENT (not 'wrong') user that makes sense. "
    Answer: The user that I was using to join from the client was the user
    that was created earlier in AD.
    Query: Does 'ordinary users' mean users who can login to the client
    locally OR users who have an account created in AD?

    For: "has the user EVER LOGGED onto the domain? "
    Answer: No. Server & Client were installed & everthing is new.

    What I'm looking for is a step-by-step troucbleshooting for this issue.
    Any sites or sugesstions? Have a nice day.

    Yes. The user A/C locally created on Win pro Client logs on allright.
    FYI: I have the username 'bijtha' created both in AD & locally on
    Client with the same password. Also, have another user created on AD
    but that user does not exist locally on Client. What could be the issue?

    "thestriver" <searchhere@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've done everthing practically possible. Well...almost I'm sure.
    > Otherwise I won't be here.
    > I've setup & configured File & Printer sharing, TCP/IP, DNS Server & AD
    > on a test Win 2000 Adv Server. I've also setup & configured TCP/IP on
    > Win 2000 Pro client. Both of them pinging each other allright, even
    > pinging the domain.
    > Then, created a user in AD with admin rights & came back to the client
    > to use that account to join the client to the domain using Network
    > Identification.
    > I'm able to connect to the Domain only when I put in wrong user info
    > like may be the userame/password or both is incorrect. This is why:
    > How I know that the Client is connecting to the Domain...is when the
    > error message comes up saying that either username/password is unknown
    > or bad.
    > If I provide the network username correct & password incorrect, then it
    > says "The specified network password is not correct"
    > Fun part is: If I put in the correct username & password, it says "The
    > network name cannot be found" !!!

    The above is entirely unclear and quite vague. "when I put in" is not
    the same as telling us precisely where youput it (Ctrl-Alt-Del logon, or
    file share authentication etc.).

    You will not get logged on with a non-existent domain or incorrect
    password so that part makes zero sense without a careful and precise
    explanation.

    Ordinary users CAN join machines to a domain so if you mean you
    used a DIFFERENT (not 'wrong') user that makes sense.

    IF the new user was just created did you set the "must change password
    at next logon" and then never logon to update the password?

    I.E., has the user EVER LOGGED onto the domain?

    > FYI, I've gone through 8 out of 10 docs related to lookup, resolution,
    > joining issues from MS support site.
    > I have no answers now. Thanks a lot in advance for any assitance on
    > this issue.

    Can the user account logon?

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    DC Diagnosis

    Performing initial setup:
    Done gathering initial info.

    Doing initial non skippeable tests

    Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\HCLC
    Starting test: Connectivity
    ......................... HCLC passed test Connectivity

    Doing primary tests

    Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\HCLC
    Starting test: Replications
    ......................... HCLC passed test Replications
    Starting test: NCSecDesc
    ......................... HCLC passed test NCSecDesc
    Starting test: NetLogons
    [HCLC] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
    The network name cannot be found..
    ......................... HCLC failed test NetLogons
    Starting test: Advertising
    ......................... HCLC passed test Advertising
    Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
    ......................... HCLC passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
    Starting test: RidManager
    ......................... HCLC passed test RidManager
    Starting test: MachineAccount
    Could not open pipe with [HCLC]:failed with 67: The network
    name cannot be found.
    Could not get NetBIOSDomainName
    Failed can not test for HOST SPN
    Failed can not test for HOST SPN
    * Missing SPN :(null)
    * Missing SPN :(null)
    ......................... HCLC failed test MachineAccount
    Starting test: Services
    Could not open Remote ipc to [HCLC]:failed with 67: The
    network name cannot be found.
    ......................... HCLC failed test Services
    Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
    ......................... HCLC passed test ObjectsReplicated
    Starting test: frssysvol
    [HCLC] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
    The network name cannot be found..
    ......................... HCLC failed test frssysvol
    Starting test: kccevent
    Failed to enumerate event log records, error The network name
    cannot be found.
    ......................... HCLC failed test kccevent
    Starting test: systemlog
    Failed to enumerate event log records, error The network name
    cannot be found.
    ......................... HCLC failed test systemlog

    Running enterprise tests on : hclc.net
    Starting test: Intersite
    ......................... hclc.net passed test Intersite
    Starting test: FsmoCheck
    ......................... hclc.net passed test FsmoCheck

    Does the dcdiag report, run on domain have any thing to say...any clues
    from it?

    I'm putting down the settings for the Server & Client

    connected through cross over cable. We are I'm talking

    about a network of ONLY 2 computers in a lab)

    Windows 2000 Adv Server:
    Client for MS Networks -- is checked.
    File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks --- is checked.
    Following is the TCP/IP Settings:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    SM: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Not set
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    Alternate DNS Server: Not set
    On DNS Tab:
    - Append parent suffixes of the primary DS suffix is checked.
    - Register this connection's addresses in DNS is checked.

    Windows 2000 Pro:
    Client for MS Networks -- is checked.
    File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks --- is checked.
    Following is the TCP/IP Settings:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    SM: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    Alternate DNS Server: Not set
    On DNS Tab:
    - Append parent suffixes of the primary DS suffix is checked.
    - Register this connection's addresses in DNS is checked.

    I'm able to successfully run the following commands from cmd from
    Server & Client:
    ping,tracert,nslookup

    I've also done the following as of now:
    ipconfig /all -- It lists the correct settings as per TCP/IP settings
    mentioned above.
    ipconfig /flushdns -- Does not flush on Server but flushes on Clint.
    ipconfig /registerdns -- works on Server & Client.
    net stop netlogon works on Server
    net start netlogon works on Server
    DNS MMC has the required folders & Host in Forwarders
    Also, has a reverse lookup for 192.168.0.1
    Both, forward & Reverse is configured for allowing dynamic updates.
    There was a root node...(dot) which I had deleted.

    On your advise...I ran the following;
    netdig /fix --- Gives error "[FATAL] Failed to get system information
    of this machine"
    dcdiag /fix --- comes up with same stuff as in previous message about
    dc diag result.

    "Just go back to the dialog and join the computer without attempting
    to (re) create the account (you won't need any credentials but you
    will need to be logged on as the admin of the computer."

    Logged in as local Admin on Client & tried this...but at the username &
    password section (after providing the A/C information as registered in
    AD)...it says "Network name cannot be found"

    What can be done now?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    It is a network of 1 Server & 1 Client. Server has 2 NICS. 1 connected
    to internet through cable modem. The other, connected to LAN. LAN NIC
    is configured for DNS & AD.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    I can run dsa.msc from the client as I'd installed the adminpak. I
    could connect to the domain: hclc.net using this & can see all the
    OU's, users etc as I see it on Server in AD MMC.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Yes. The user A/C locally created on Win pro Client logs on allright.
    > FYI: I have the username 'bijtha' created both in AD & locally on
    > Client with the same password.

    Irrelevant -- except that you might get confused and logon as 'wrong'
    user.

    They are two SEPARATE accounts and only the domain version has
    any privilege on the domain, or on other machines of the domain.

    > Also, have another user created on AD
    > but that user does not exist locally on Client. What could be the issue?

    DNS maybe. See other response and do try to keep you messages
    organized and explicit.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Hi Herb,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I created confusion.

    Not an issue for us -- you will just get better help if you
    explain the problem clearly then give the detail following
    the basics of the problem.

    Give all error messages verbatim and explain exactly where
    and what you are doing -- don't assume we can figure out what
    "the machine" or "the user" means without a clear context.

    Otherwise it may take you three or four rounds of messages for
    us to figure out what your situation is -- but no apology is necessary.

    > For "You will not get logged on with a non-existent domain or incorrect
    > password so that part makes zero sense without a careful and precise
    > explanation."
    > Answer: I've created a user in AD but did not check the password change
    > on next logon or any other checkboxes in that list. FYI, I'd added the
    > winpro client machine name to AD under the option in OU to add
    > Computer.

    Then you don't need credentials to add user to domain. You need only
    be an admin of the computer which is joining the domain -- the account
    is already created for this machine in AD.

    > After configuring TCP to point to Domain...

    TCP cannot "point to a domain" so what do you mean by this?

    Can you ping? By both name and ip of the DC?

    > I try to join client to
    > domain from the Network Identification tab-properties-Select Domain &
    > type in Domain name. Then, in username & password section 'I put it in'
    > ie, the username & password I created in AD earlier. This is when the
    > said situations in my above message happens.

    But since you already created the COMPUTER ACCOUNT you cannot
    create that same name a second time and therefore do not need to use
    credentials.

    Just join the domain.

    > For: "Ordinary users CAN join machines to a domain so if you mean you
    > used a DIFFERENT (not 'wrong') user that makes sense. "
    > Answer: The user that I was using to join from the client was the user
    > that was created earlier in AD.

    Any user can create in domain by default (up to 10 computers) unless this
    has been changed.

    You don't need to create account however.

    > Query: Does 'ordinary users' mean users who can login to the client
    > locally OR users who have an account created in AD?

    User == Domain users. Ordinary == Whether admin or not.

    Local users (the admin of the computer) can add the computer to the
    domain (from the point of view of the computer) once the account is
    created.

    Generally you must logon to the computer as an ADMIN of that
    computer.

    > For: "has the user EVER LOGGED onto the domain? "
    > Answer: No. Server & Client were installed & everthing is new.

    You cannot expect to use an account without testing it for logon etc.
    but I don't think you need this account (right now.)

    > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step troucbleshooting for this issue.
    > Any sites or sugesstions? Have a nice day.

    There are plenty of step by steps on the MS web site for joining a
    computer OR creating the computer account in a domain.

    You seem to have already created the account.

    Just go back to the dialog and join the computer without attempting
    to (re) create the account (you won't need any credentials but you
    will need to be logged on as the admin of the computer.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    You don't seem to have posted the full DCDiag output but
    with all those "network name not found" you likely have
    your DNS setup incorrectly.

    Check the following:

    DNS for AD
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > DC Diagnosis
    >
    > Performing initial setup:
    > Done gathering initial info.
    >
    > Doing initial non skippeable tests
    >
    > Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\HCLC
    > Starting test: Connectivity
    > ......................... HCLC passed test Connectivity
    >
    > Doing primary tests
    >
    > Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\HCLC
    > Starting test: Replications
    > ......................... HCLC passed test Replications
    > Starting test: NCSecDesc
    > ......................... HCLC passed test NCSecDesc
    > Starting test: NetLogons
    > [HCLC] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
    > The network name cannot be found..
    > ......................... HCLC failed test NetLogons
    > Starting test: Advertising
    > ......................... HCLC passed test Advertising
    > Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
    > ......................... HCLC passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
    > Starting test: RidManager
    > ......................... HCLC passed test RidManager
    > Starting test: MachineAccount
    > Could not open pipe with [HCLC]:failed with 67: The network
    > name cannot be found.
    > Could not get NetBIOSDomainName
    > Failed can not test for HOST SPN
    > Failed can not test for HOST SPN
    > * Missing SPN :(null)
    > * Missing SPN :(null)
    > ......................... HCLC failed test MachineAccount
    > Starting test: Services
    > Could not open Remote ipc to [HCLC]:failed with 67: The
    > network name cannot be found.
    > ......................... HCLC failed test Services
    > Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
    > ......................... HCLC passed test ObjectsReplicated
    > Starting test: frssysvol
    > [HCLC] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
    > The network name cannot be found..
    > ......................... HCLC failed test frssysvol
    > Starting test: kccevent
    > Failed to enumerate event log records, error The network name
    > cannot be found.
    > ......................... HCLC failed test kccevent
    > Starting test: systemlog
    > Failed to enumerate event log records, error The network name
    > cannot be found.
    > ......................... HCLC failed test systemlog
    >
    > Running enterprise tests on : hclc.net
    > Starting test: Intersite
    > ......................... hclc.net passed test Intersite
    > Starting test: FsmoCheck
    > ......................... hclc.net passed test FsmoCheck

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've done everthing practically possible. Well...almost I'm
    > sure.
    > Otherwise I won't be here.
    > I've setup & configured File & Printer sharing, TCP/IP, DNS
    > Server & AD
    > on a test Win 2000 Adv Server. I've also setup & configured
    > TCP/IP on
    > Win 2000 Pro client. Both of them pinging each other allright,
    > even
    > pinging the domain.
    > Then, created a user in AD with admin rights & came back to
    > the client
    > to use that account to join the client to the domain using
    > Network
    > Identification.
    > I'm able to connect to the Domain only when I put in wrong
    > user info
    > like may be the userame/password or both is incorrect. This is
    > why:
    > How I know that the Client is connecting to the Domain...is
    > when the
    > error message comes up saying that either username/password is
    > unknown
    > or bad.
    > If I provide the network username correct & password
    > incorrect, then it
    > says "The specified network password is not correct"
    > Fun part is: If I put in the correct username & password, it
    > says "The
    > network name cannot be found" !!!
    > FYI, I've gone through 8 out of 10 docs related to lookup,
    > resolution,
    > joining issues from MS support site.
    > I have no answers now. Thanks a lot in advance for any
    > assitance on
    > this issue.

    have you tried using the default administrator account in the domain?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-join-Win-2000-Pro-Client-Win-2000-Adv-Server-Domain-ftopict402158.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1330560
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > I'm putting down the settings for the Server & Client
    > connected through cross over cable. We are I'm talking
    > about a network of ONLY 2 computers in a lab)

    Plus the Internet you say. DCs have been known to have trouble
    with multiple NICs although I have never had any real serious
    issue myself so that may say more about who set them up than
    a real problem with DCs.

    > Windows 2000 Adv Server:
    > Client for MS Networks -- is checked.
    > File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks --- is checked.
    > Following is the TCP/IP Settings:
    > IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    > SM: 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway: Not set
    > Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    > Alternate DNS Server: Not set

    It works better when you use IPConfig /all and copy and paste
    the text -- allows us to see precisely what the machine says and
    not have it retyped/translated/summarized.

    Not you didn't give me the NAME of the machine which is
    very important for DNS registration issues.

    > On DNS Tab:
    > - Append parent suffixes of the primary DS suffix is checked.
    > - Register this connection's addresses in DNS is checked.

    Irrelevant -- strictly a convenience for the user.

    > Windows 2000 Pro:
    > Client for MS Networks -- is checked.
    > File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks --- is checked.
    > Following is the TCP/IP Settings:
    > IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    > SM: 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    > Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    > Alternate DNS Server: Not set

    > I'm able to successfully run the following commands from cmd from
    > Server & Client: ping,tracert,nslookup

    > I've also done the following as of now:
    > ipconfig /all -- It lists the correct settings as per TCP/IP settings
    > mentioned above.
    > ipconfig /flushdns -- Does not flush on Server but flushes on Clint.
    > ipconfig /registerdns -- works on Server & Client.

    /registerdns is INSUFFICIENT for a DC -- working with DCDiag/NetDiag
    /fix or restarting the NetLogon service is required to fixup the DNS
    entries for a DC.

    Did you go through the DNS for AD I gave you and confirm each item
    (or you can ask for an explanation if you do not understand an item.)

    > net stop netlogon works on Server
    > net start netlogon works on Server

    Is the DNS zone dynamic? Did the _Underscore subdomains (_MSDCS,
    _Sites, etc) get registered?

    > DNS MMC has the required folders & Host in Forwarders

    What required folders? When you report something like "has
    required" we don't know if you know what is required or what
    that even means precisely.

    > Also, has a reverse lookup for 192.168.0.1

    Almost irrelevant.

    > Both, forward & Reverse is configured for allowing dynamic updates.
    > There was a root node...(dot) which I had deleted.

    Good. But irrelevant to the immediate problem -- you would have
    trouble resolving the Internet without that.

    I need the DNS settings for your OTHER NIC on the DC. I am betting
    you have the ISP listed there.

    DNS clients for AD Domains -- and the DCs are DEFINITELY DNS
    CLIENTS -- must use ONLY the internal DNS server which can
    register and answer all requests.

    > On your advise...I ran the following;
    > netdig /fix --- Gives error "[FATAL] Failed to get system information
    > of this machine"
    > dcdiag /fix --- comes up with same stuff as in previous message about
    > dc diag result.

    Show me IPConfig /all -- no graphics, cut and paste the full text only.

    > "Just go back to the dialog and join the computer without attempting
    > to (re) create the account (you won't need any credentials but you
    > will need to be logged on as the admin of the computer."
    >
    > Logged in as local Admin on Client & tried this...but at the username &
    > password section (after providing the A/C information as registered in
    > AD)...it says "Network name cannot be found"
    >
    > What can be done now?

    Fix your DNS as per the last message. Chances are it's the "wrong"
    (i.e., the ISP) DNS listed on the external NIC.

    If so, write that down, remove it, put the value in the DNS server
    FORWARDING tab.

    You must not have the DC "client" (NIC) settings pointing to both
    the ISP and itself.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    yes
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Not you didn't give me the NAME of the machine which is
    very important for DNS registration issues.

    DC Name: HCLC

    Show me IPConfig /all -- no graphics, cut and paste the full text only.

    Will get back to office some time later today & post you the ipconfig
    result as is. However, kindly send in your comments regardless of this.

    Is the DNS zone dynamic? Did the _Underscore subdomains (_MSDCS,
    _Sites, etc) get registered?

    Yes...even udp & tcp.

    I need the DNS settings for your OTHER NIC on the DC. I am betting
    you have the ISP listed there.

    As I said...Ist NIC is connected to internet & the other 1(LAN NIC)
    configured for DNS. The settings I'd mentioned above are the settings
    for the LAN NIC. The internet NIC has settings w.r.t the internet. LAN
    NIC settings has no entries/IP addresses related to the internet NIC as
    you can see in my earlier message.
    Also, Client NIC settings have no entries related to the internet NIC
    on the Server. The Clint NIC is configured ONLY for the LAN NIC on
    server(Plz refer previous message about settings)

    Fix your DNS as per the last message. Chances are it's the "wrong"
    (i.e., the ISP) DNS listed on the external NIC.

    There is an IP address entry in Forwarders(not in any _folder) that
    relates to 1 of the IP addresses mentioned in the settings for the
    internet NIC.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    New developments: I ran, after going through internet, a vbs script
    meant to join client to DC...now I can't even open Active Directory
    users & computers console using dsa.net from Client as it errors out
    saying can't find domain or does not exist. This happened after I ran
    the vbs script that I found on the internet without modifying the
    values for it to match my requirements....like domain name, client
    computer name.

    I feel as this has gone quite far...may be I should uninstall dns & AD
    & reinstall them back again & start everything afresh...with your
    guidance?
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Not you didn't give me the NAME of the machine which is
    > very important for DNS registration issues.
    >
    > DC Name: HCLC

    No, I meant you didn't give me the ENTIRE IPConfig so I can
    see what it actually has configured.

    Like above when you post the 'name' -- that is only the computer
    specific version and doesn't tell me if the machine has a full
    DNS name (HCLC.domain.com) or is missing it, or even has
    a one label "domain portion" (domain and not domain.com is
    BAD.)

    > Show me IPConfig /all -- no graphics, cut and paste the full text only.
    >

    > Will get back to office some time later today & post you the ipconfig
    > result as is. However, kindly send in your comments regardless of this.
    >
    > Is the DNS zone dynamic? Did the _Underscore subdomains (_MSDCS,
    > _Sites, etc) get registered?
    >
    > Yes...even udp & tcp.
    >
    > I need the DNS settings for your OTHER NIC on the DC. I am betting
    > you have the ISP listed there.
    >
    > As I said...Ist NIC is connected to internet & the other 1(LAN NIC)
    > configured for DNS. The settings I'd mentioned above are the settings
    > for the LAN NIC.

    Didn't you understand that the settings on one NIC can interfere with
    things like DNS and such?

    DNS is NOT NIC specific so the other NIC might easily be overriding
    the DNS setting if you have incorrectly allowed different settings on
    the NIC.

    Note: This is an especially common mistake if the Internet side is
    a Dynamic address -- people don't realize they CAN and MUST
    override that external DNS setting -- optinally transferring the value
    to the DNS forwarder tab.

    > The internet NIC has settings w.r.t the internet. LAN
    > NIC settings has no entries/IP addresses related to the internet NIC as
    > you can see in my earlier message.

    Yes, and that isn't fully relevant if the external NIC is referencing the
    ISP.

    > Also, Client NIC settings have no entries related to the internet NIC
    > on the Server. The Clint NIC is configured ONLY for the LAN NIC on
    > server(Plz refer previous message about settings)
    >
    > Fix your DNS as per the last message. Chances are it's the "wrong"
    > (i.e., the ISP) DNS listed on the external NIC.
    >
    > There is an IP address entry in Forwarders(not in any _folder) that
    > relates to 1 of the IP addresses mentioned in the settings for the
    > internet NIC.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > New developments: I ran, after going through internet, a vbs script
    > meant to join client to DC...now I can't even open Active Directory
    > users & computers console using dsa.net from Client as it errors out
    > saying can't find domain or does not exist. This happened after I ran
    > the vbs script that I found on the internet without modifying the
    > values for it to match my requirements....like domain name, client
    > computer name.
    >
    > I feel as this has gone quite far...may be I should uninstall dns & AD
    > & reinstall them back again & start everything afresh...with your
    > guidance?

    No, you should fix them.

    I keep pointing you to the likely source of your problem and you
    keep ignoring it.

    Re-installing is a form of FLAILING -- randomly doing things
    in the hope it might help.

    DNS is actually very simple BUT it is also a bit tricky to understand
    at first and when you don't understand it fully it is very easy to miss
    one or two critical points.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    No, I meant you didn't give me the ENTIRE IPConfig so I can
    see what it actually has configured.

    Server:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : hclc.net

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hclc.net

    Ethernet adapter Private:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81XX
    10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2B-A5

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter Public:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-26-8E-71

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    213.122.63.142
    110.7.4.1

    Client:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc-client
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81xx 10/100Mbps
    PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2D-4F

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    No, you should fix them

    Yes I've fixed them OK. However, we r back to the same issue. Network
    name cannot be found while joining. In other words, we r back to the
    point just before I ran that script from the internet. So we'r going
    somewhere it looks like :)

    The reason I said a reinstall would be better...coz...I'm new to this
    thats why. I have no issues if we carry on troubleshooting till we get
    to a point were we can find something. It is all the more more better
    for me as I can learn more in the doing. Thanks.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    MUST override that external DNS setting -- optinally transferring the
    value
    to the DNS forwarder tab.

    How do u do this?
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    "thestriver" <searchhere@gmail.com> wrote in message
    Herb asked for more info:
    >> No, I meant you didn't give me the ENTIRE IPConfig so I can
    >> see what it actually has configured.
    >
    > Server:
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : hclc.net

    This is a BAD thing. You have a server and the Domain
    likely named with the same NetBIOS name and since it
    is a DC you will have a lot of trouble changing that name.

    It may not be the problem you are currently facing but it
    isn't a good thing.

    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hclc.net

    > Ethernet adapter Private:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81XX
    > 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2B-A5
    >
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    This should be the ONLY value used for the DNS server
    on EITHER NIC.

    > Ethernet adapter Public:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    > Connection
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-26-8E-71
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    That is a REALLY odd mask did you ISP really give you that
    value to use?

    255.255.255.0 would be MUCH more likely to be correct --
    but there is no way I can actually tell without talking to the
    ISP.

    It's is difficult to imagine the ISP would use a Class A address
    AND not subnet it down to 254 nodes per network OR LESS.

    BUT then, that 110 address doesn't seem to be a publicly assigned
    range anyway. Whois says not, and it is unroutable from the Internet.

    > 213.122.63.142
    > 110.7.4.1

    There's your problem right there -- as I predicted.

    You need to remove these DNS servers from the NIC.

    (Put them in the DNS SERVER MMC property for
    Forwarding if you wish -- but right them down somewhere
    so you will know them if/when you need them.)

    > Client:
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc-client
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81xx 10/100Mbps
    > PCI Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2D-4F
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Legal but odd that you have different mask on the
    Client and DC -- this is NOT actually a problem but
    it looks goofy.

    You probably cannot route through the server since it
    doesn't seem to have routing enabled, but that wasn't
    what you asked about.

    From you other message you quoted me and then asked...
    >>MUST override that external DNS setting -- optionally transferring the
    >>value to the DNS forwarder tab.

    > How do u do this?

    Open the External NIC properties in Network and Dial-up connections, IP
    Properties -> erase the DNS entry. (Write them down first.)

    Open the DNS MMC (Start->Run->dnsmgmt.msc -- right click on the
    SERVER->Properties-->Forwarder tab: Add them there if you wish.
    (It's likely a good idea.)

    Who is your ISP?
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > No, you should fix them
    >
    > Yes I've fixed them OK. However, we r back to the same issue. Network
    > name cannot be found while joining. In other words, we r back to the
    > point just before I ran that script from the internet. So we'r going
    > somewhere it looks like :)

    Yes. This time you are going to fix those NIC->DNS server entries.

    > The reason I said a reinstall would be better...coz...I'm new to this
    > thats why.

    That doesn't make it better to re-install when you are not able to just
    change one or two settings and fix the problem.

    You would just be flailing -- and likely just type those bad entries
    back into the same place unless you first understand how to do it
    right. (The only reason that even APPROACHES needing a re-install
    is that your DC is named the same as the NetBIOS name of the
    Domain. You MIGHT decide to DCPromo->Non-DC, rename
    DC, then DCPromo (again) back to DC.)

    No need or even value in a full re-install.

    > I have no issues if we carry on troubleshooting till we get
    > to a point were we can find something. It is all the more more better
    > for me as I can learn more in the doing. Thanks.

    We JUST STARTED troubleshooting -- I guess the problem the problem
    five messages ago, but you just now got around to posting the IPConfig
    and confirming my guess.

    Just fix the problem.

    Then go through my DNS for AD checklist and either check/fix each
    item or ask a question until you understand what each item means....

[...]

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD

    Already set to Secure updates.

    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)

    I'm sure it specified so...going by ipconfig result on Client in my
    message above. I've also made similar the Subnet mask of both, the
    Private NIC (See IPConfig result above) & Client to 255.0.0.0. Also,
    Enabled Router & Remote Access.

    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

    If I specify the same IP/NIC values that is present now in the server's
    Private NIC (See IPConfig result above), to both the NIC's, then will
    it allow internet accessibility? I guess you mean to say that both
    NIC's have to have the same values in IP/NIC? But will it allow me to
    access the internet then?
    It could also mean that there is no need for the second NIC if internet
    connectivity is not required, correct? But, it is reqd as I need to
    access internet also.
    Is there a workaround so that I could access the internet as well? FYI,
    I have only 1 Server & 1 Client.

    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or
    indirectly)

    As I mentioned earlier...there is only 1 Server & 1 Client, both
    connected through cross over cable. So there is only 1 domain & 1 DNS
    Server (Both on the same Win2000 Adv Server)
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    You have a server and the Domain likely named with the same NetBIOS
    name and since it is a DC you will have a lot of trouble changing that
    name.

    Is there a way to find out the netbios name? In the hindsight, while
    installing AD using dcpromo, there was an option to specify a NETBIOS
    name & I'd specfified the name as 'HCLC1' coz for some reason it was
    accepting the name 'HCLC'

    There's your problem right there -- as I predicted.
    You need to remove these DNS servers from the NIC.
    (Put them in the DNS SERVER MMC property for
    Forwarding if you wish -- but right them down somewhere
    so you will know them if/when you need them.)

    Done + forwarding.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Latest IPConfig Result:

    Server:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : hclc.net

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hclc.net

    Ethernet adapter Private:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81XX
    10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2B-A5

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Public:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-26-8E-71

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    FYI...these are original values from public as is...earlier I had
    changed the values to prevent hack as this site is not secured.

    Client:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc-client
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81xx 10/100Mbps
    PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2D-4F

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Note: The SM's are similar for client nic & private nic in server.

    Also ran ran both netdiag & dcdiag, however error somes up in the
    section where it tries to test the DNS...

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [FATAL]: The DNS registration for 'hclc.hclc.net' is
    incorrect on all DNS servers.
    PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server
    '192.168.0.1' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

    DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
    [NERR_BadTransactConfig]

    LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hclc.hclc.net'.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Of course -- as long as the INTERNAL DNS server can resolve the
    Internet -- and you cannot "mix" them in any case so it isn't a real
    choice.

    After removing & forwarding the external nic dns names ...internet is
    accessible now.

    Yes. You can use NAT (Part of RRAS) on the Server or perhaps better
    go out and buy one of those little $20-80 "router/firewall/hubs" and
    hook
    both machines to it so they are not exposed directly on the Internet.

    Forwarding has helped accessibility to internet now. So, NAT not reqd I
    guess.

    Did you go through the repair procedures after fixing the Server NIC?

    I had run both dcdiag /fix & netdiag /fix. A few errors there though.
    The results r in the previous message. What are the 'repair procedures'
    that need to be done now after fixing the server NIC?

    Did you actually fix the server NIC yet?

    Are you referring to running dcdiag or netdiag..then I've already done
    that. Plz clarify.

    You need to REGISTER the DC in it's DNS server database -- DCDiag /FIX
    and/or NetDIAG /fix and Restarting NetLogon and then if necessary
    reading the article and just FIXING the registration.

    Already done. Infact whenever I modify anything, I go through this
    ritual of flush, register, stop & start netlogon, to refresh & update
    the dns.

    (I saw your DCDiag output above, but there is no point in going through
    half of my checklist, stopping and not telling me if you did the OTHER
    things indicate instead of making me tall you each one in a new round
    of several messages and replies.)

    I'd religiously followed that checklist you had given in earlier
    message, 1 after the other:)

    Its the same news on Client--Network name cannot be found ---while
    joining !!!

    Is it reqd at this stage to have a look at dsa.msc & find out the users
    & client I've added there & their properties?
    y is the errors & warings coming up in dcdiag & netdiag result in
    mesage above? I've done everthing till date that you have told?
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    >
    > Already set to Secure updates.

    Ok.

    FYI: You really should adopt a sensible message 'quoting'
    strategy. It will make you communication more efficient and
    more effective in solving your problems.

    > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    >
    > I'm sure it specified so...going by ipconfig result on Client in my
    > message above. I've also made similar the Subnet mask of both, the
    > Private NIC (See IPConfig result above) & Client to 255.0.0.0. Also,
    > Enabled Router & Remote Access.

    Ok. But the REAL ISSUE was that this was wrong on your DC.

    > 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    >
    > If I specify the same IP/NIC values that is present now in the server's
    > Private NIC (See IPConfig result above), to both the NIC's, then will
    > it allow internet accessibility?

    Yes, of course. If you setup the DNS server correctly (e.g., as I
    instructed or even if you let it recurse itself.)

    > I guess you mean to say that both
    > NIC's have to have the same values in IP/NIC?

    No, what I said is they must ONLY specify the internal DNS
    server (set). The 'other' NIC can specify the same, another
    internal DNS (you don't have one though), or just be left
    blank in some cases.

    > But will it allow me to access the internet then?

    Of course -- as long as the INTERNAL DNS server can resolve the
    Internet -- and you cannot "mix" them in any case so it isn't a real
    choice.

    > It could also mean that there is no need for the second NIC if internet
    > connectivity is not required, correct? But, it is reqd as I need to
    > access internet also.

    Resolves INTERNET DNS this way:

    DC --> Internal DNS (happens to be on same DC) --> Resolves the
    Internet (through forwarding to ISP or recursion using Root Hints.)

    > Is there a workaround so that I could access the internet as well? FYI,
    > I have only 1 Server & 1 Client.

    Yes. You can use NAT (Part of RRAS) on the Server or perhaps better
    go out and buy one of those little $20-80 "router/firewall/hubs" and hook
    both machines to it so they are not exposed directly on the Internet.

    > 4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    > be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or
    > indirectly)
    >
    > As I mentioned earlier...there is only 1 Server & 1 Client, both
    > connected through cross over cable. So there is only 1 domain & 1 DNS
    > Server (Both on the same Win2000 Adv Server)

    Right. But it emphasizes that your internal DNS CLIENTS (all internal
    machines really) must resolve ALL internal names and use only the
    INTERNAL DNS Server (set) which can resolve all of these names.

    Did you go through the repair procedures after fixing the Server NIC?

    Did you actually fix the server NIC yet?

    (I saw your DCDiag output above, but there is no point in going through
    half of my checklist, stopping and not telling me if you did the OTHER
    things indicate instead of making me tall you each one in a new round
    of several messages and replies.)

    You need to REGISTER the DC in it's DNS server database -- DCDiag /FIX
    and/or NetDIAG /fix and Restarting NetLogon and then if necessary
    reading the article and just FIXING the registration.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE
    http://www.LearnQuick.Com