migrate to new server

I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
server:
RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.

I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
server.

is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and use
my 2nd server?

thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about migrate server

    Have you set up DNS on the second server and provided a way to point your
    clients to the new DNS server?

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "none" <none @ none dot com> wrote in message
    >I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
    > server:
    > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
    >
    > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
    > server.
    >
    > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and
    > use
    > my 2nd server?
    >
    > thanks.

    yes, I have.

    can I now run dcpromo to demote the server?

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
    > Have you set up DNS on the second server and provided a way to point your
    > clients to the new DNS server?
    >

    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "none" <none @ none dot com> wrote in message
    > >I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
    > > server:
    > > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
    > >
    > > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
    > > server.
    > >
    > > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and
    > > use
    > > my 2nd server?
    > >
    > > thanks.

    Sounds like you've covered all your bases. Before running dcpromo I would
    test by just shutting the server down and see what happens to the network.

    You might consider keeping the second server incase the first crashes.

    "" wrote:
    > I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following
    > to my 2nd
    > server:
    > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
    >
    > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties
    > on my 2nd
    > server.
    >
    > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st
    > server and use
    > my 2nd server?
    >
    > thanks.

    as mentioned earlier, don’t forget about network services like DNS,
    WINS, DHCP and maybe other that the first DC are hosting. Configure
    the services in the second DC

    If you shutdown the server, don’t forget to cleanup the metadata of
    the DC http://www.petri.co.il/fix_unsuccessful_demotion.htm

    instead of shutting down the DC demote it to a server. Cleanup the
    server object in sites and services

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-migrate-server-ftopict402239.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1331162

    "" wrote:
    > I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following
    > to my 2nd
    > server:
    > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
    >
    > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties
    > on my 2nd
    > server.
    >
    > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st
    > server and use
    > my 2nd server?
    >
    > thanks.

    Hi

    i would suggest you to first take a system state backup of any of your
    domain controller so that you do not loose any of your data (users
    accounts, computer accounts)
    and then go ahead and perform DCPROMO on the DC which you want to
    remove
    and if you fail to perform to DCPROMO (for demotion) then perform the
    metadata cleanup properly else you can face some problems

    -----
    Nitin
    MS

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-migrate-server-ftopict402239.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1331929

Migrate Domain Servers Active Directory Windows