  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 29, 2005 2:26:34 PM

I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
server:
RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.

I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
server.

is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and use
my 2nd server?

thanks.

More about : migrate server

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:26:35 PM

Have you set up DNS on the second server and provided a way to point your
clients to the new DNS server?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"none" <none @ none dot com> wrote in message
news:D aqdnSFRY418pnffRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
> server:
> RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
>
> I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
> server.
>
> is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and
> use
> my 2nd server?
>
> thanks.

July 29, 2005 5:41:47 PM

yes, I have.

can I now run dcpromo to demote the server?

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
news:o h9fz6ElFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Have you set up DNS on the second server and provided a way to point your
> clients to the new DNS server?
>

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "none" <none @ none dot com> wrote in message
> news:D aqdnSFRY418pnffRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> >I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
> > server:
> > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
> >
> > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my 2nd
> > server.
> >
> > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and
> > use
> > my 2nd server?
> >
> > thanks.

July 29, 2005 5:41:48 PM

Sounds like you've covered all your bases. Before running dcpromo I would
test by just shutting the server down and see what happens to the network.

You might consider keeping the second server incase the first crashes.

> yes, I have.
>
> can I now run dcpromo to demote the server?
>
> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
> news:o h9fz6ElFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Have you set up DNS on the second server and provided a way to point your
>> clients to the new DNS server?
>>

>> hth
>> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>>
>> "none" <none @ none dot com> wrote in message
>> news:D aqdnSFRY418pnffRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>> >I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following to my 2nd
>> > server:
>> > RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
>> >
>> > I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties on my
>> > 2nd
>> > server.
>> >
>> > is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st server and
>> > use
>> > my 2nd server?
>> >
>> > thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:35:38 PM

"" wrote:
> I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following
> to my 2nd
> server:
> RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
>
> I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties
> on my 2nd
> server.
>
> is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st
> server and use
> my 2nd server?
>
> thanks.

as mentioned earlier, don’t forget about network services like DNS,
WINS, DHCP and maybe other that the first DC are hosting. Configure
the services in the second DC

If you shutdown the server, don’t forget to cleanup the metadata of
the DC http://www.petri.co.il/fix_unsuccessful_demotion.htm

instead of shutting down the DC demote it to a server. Cleanup the
server object in sites and services

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-migrate-s...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1331162
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:35:36 AM

"" wrote:
> I have two 2003 Domain controls. I have migrated the following
> to my 2nd
> server:
> RID, PDC, Infrastructure, domain nmaing master, schema master.
>
> I have also checked Global Catalog in NTDS settings properties
> on my 2nd
> server.
>
> is there anything else I need to do so I can shutdown my 1st
> server and use
> my 2nd server?
>
> thanks.

Hi

i would suggest you to first take a system state backup of any of your
domain controller so that you do not loose any of your data (users
accounts, computer accounts)
and then go ahead and perform DCPROMO on the DC which you want to
remove
and if you fail to perform to DCPROMO (for demotion) then perform the
metadata cleanup properly else you can face some problems

-----
Nitin
MS

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-migrate-s...