DHCP Works for NT 4 Server Install But Not NT 4 BDC

I need to install a temporary NT4 BDC controller in order to migrate some
ancient hardware that runs the PDC of an NT4 domain to Windows 2000 and
Active Directory. The problem I have is that when doing the installation
of NT4 on new hardware, DHCP fails when I select BDC as the install type.
However if I try to install an NT4 member server, then DHCP works just fine
and the install proceeds without a hitch. The server boots and works on
the network just fine.

NT4 member servers cannot be upgraded to become BDCs. You must re-run the
entire Windows NT4 install and specify BDC as your target for the install.
So what would cause this odd behavior, and is there anything I can do that
would defer the need to bring the network up until some point after the
overall install is finished? I'm sure I could get DHCP to work fine once
the BDC install is complete, but it cannot complete because DHCP won't work
during the BDC install. It's a catch 22 and I don't see a way out.

Any ideas?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > I need to install a temporary NT4 BDC controller in order to migrate some
    > ancient hardware that runs the PDC of an NT4 domain to Windows 2000 and
    > Active Directory. The problem I have is that when doing the
    installation
    > of NT4 on new hardware, DHCP fails when I select BDC as the install type.

    What does DHCP had to do with the BDC for the purpose of upgrade?

    Use a manual address for the temporary BDC's IP address.

    > However if I try to install an NT4 member server, then DHCP works just
    fine
    > and the install proceeds without a hitch. The server boots and works on
    > the network just fine.
    >
    > NT4 member servers cannot be upgraded to become BDCs. You must re-run
    the
    > entire Windows NT4 install and specify BDC as your target for the install.

    Right, and the PDC must be online and reachable at the time of the
    BDC install.

    > So what would cause this odd behavior, and is there anything I can do that
    > would defer the need to bring the network up until some point after the
    > overall install is finished?

    No, since the wanna-be-BDC must contact the PDC (on the net) to become
    a BDC. You must use a manual address in this case.

    > I'm sure I could get DHCP to work fine once
    > the BDC install is complete, but it cannot complete because DHCP won't
    work
    > during the BDC install. It's a catch 22 and I don't see a way out.

    Normally a ?DC should not use a DHCP assigned address on it's main NIC
    anyway.

    > Any ideas?

    Use a manual address. Nothing to it.

    --