DHCP Works for NT 4 Server Install But Not NT 4 BDC

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 31, 2005 12:30:52 AM

I need to install a temporary NT4 BDC controller in order to migrate some
ancient hardware that runs the PDC of an NT4 domain to Windows 2000 and
Active Directory. The problem I have is that when doing the installation
of NT4 on new hardware, DHCP fails when I select BDC as the install type.
However if I try to install an NT4 member server, then DHCP works just fine
and the install proceeds without a hitch. The server boots and works on
the network just fine.

NT4 member servers cannot be upgraded to become BDCs. You must re-run the
entire Windows NT4 install and specify BDC as your target for the install.
So what would cause this odd behavior, and is there anything I can do that
would defer the need to bring the network up until some point after the
overall install is finished? I'm sure I could get DHCP to work fine once
the BDC install is complete, but it cannot complete because DHCP won't work
during the BDC install. It's a catch 22 and I don't see a way out.

Any ideas?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
news:o riQLBYlFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I need to install a temporary NT4 BDC controller in order to migrate some
> ancient hardware that runs the PDC of an NT4 domain to Windows 2000 and
> Active Directory. The problem I have is that when doing the
installation
> of NT4 on new hardware, DHCP fails when I select BDC as the install type.

What does DHCP had to do with the BDC for the purpose of upgrade?

Use a manual address for the temporary BDC's IP address.

> However if I try to install an NT4 member server, then DHCP works just
fine
> and the install proceeds without a hitch. The server boots and works on
> the network just fine.
>
> NT4 member servers cannot be upgraded to become BDCs. You must re-run
the
> entire Windows NT4 install and specify BDC as your target for the install.

Right, and the PDC must be online and reachable at the time of the
BDC install.

> So what would cause this odd behavior, and is there anything I can do that
> would defer the need to bring the network up until some point after the
> overall install is finished?

No, since the wanna-be-BDC must contact the PDC (on the net) to become
a BDC. You must use a manual address in this case.

> I'm sure I could get DHCP to work fine once
> the BDC install is complete, but it cannot complete because DHCP won't
work
> during the BDC install. It's a catch 22 and I don't see a way out.

Normally a ?DC should not use a DHCP assigned address on it's main NIC
anyway.

> Any ideas?

Use a manual address. Nothing to it.

--