buy now or wait for DX10/Vista certified Power Supplies

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
the new top story on TomsHardware.com named "The Graphics State of Union" got me thinking, I mean DAAAAMN !! 1000watt PSU's.. .holy crap... so as the topic hints... right now I have an aging case with a 400watt power supply, but I am just about to upgrade to an E6600 Core 2 Duo with OCZ 2GB of PC5400 DDR2-667 ram, 1 Seagate SATA2 320GB HardDrive, and 1 Sony DVD drive... and NO VIDEO CARD..(waiting for the new line of DX10 capable Vid Cards, will buy then) thats why I figure a 400 watt PS should be enough, cuz I wont be using a high power Graphics Card and the Conroes draw less power than earlier CPU's...
ok so my question is... should I blow a load of money on a new case and PS (take a look here, I have my eye on this) Aluminum ATX case 550watt PS
this would cost me around $160CAD after rebate taxes and shipping..
or should I be smart about it and wait, because I do fully understand that the new wave of DX10 graphic cards which are just around the corner will have larger power requirements so will therefore need a helluva lot more power and stability, that the current power supplies on the market will not be able to offer... I remember reading an article on toms hardware i cant find it now, but in any case it stated that currently most of the Power Supply manufacturers are hard at work trying to deliver the next generation of power supply units to the market which will be fully compliant with the new wave of products hitting the market soon, so common sense tells you it all mostly begins with Windows Vista, with the new Aero interface (which looks nice by the way, but hey so does the Apple iMac interface and its not nearly as power hungry as Windows Vista will be) in any case Windows Vista equals, the need for an expensive graphic card, which in turn requires a really good power supply... so after you blow your money on Windows Vista Ultimate, u still gotta blow around $500 on the GPU and PS to be able to run the Operating System the way its supposed to be run... I will never understand the Computer world, I mean... car manufacturers don't sell you a million dollar supercar capable of 200mph and tell you 'oh by the way the engine has been detuned the car is only capable of 100mph, so you're gonna have to buy a few extra parts and spend a little more money !!to have it run the way its meant to be run!!"

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you can wait then do so, I don't believe in upgrading something when I can, just when I have to. Of course I only apply this to core components not to peripherals like mice and keyboards.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Vista Aero runs fine on my ATI x800.... I don't see any problems and my PC is about 3 years old. The problem is that games need more video power, not windows.

That being said I would hold off on the power supply if its not needed why buy it now guessing at what the reqs for DX10 cards will be?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
if ur gonna buy a PSU now to have it sit there then no. but if ur planning on building now then get a PSU. PSU's will be the same in 1 month. there will be new ATX v5.09 plug

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I would not buy any component that required a 1000watt PSU! Just like Conroe is using less power, so will future GPUs. Eventually they will start reducing heat generation like Intel did.

You picked a good rig. I too am getting the Ultra X2 PSU, though with a larger case. I am putting together a similar system with Core 2 Duo E6600. I will be running 6 hard drives, but with a mid-level GPU.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I would not buy any component that required a 1000watt PSU! Just like Conroe is using less power, so will future GPUs. Eventually they will start reducing heat generation like Intel did.

You picked a good rig. I too am getting the Ultra X2 PSU, though with a larger case. I am putting together a similar system with Core 2 Duo E6600. I will be running 6 hard drives, but with a mid-level GPU.

not next generation GPU. they will use more power there for giving off more heat.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
nvidia uses less transistors which means less vlts and heat
in their 76 and 79 series plus the lower <90nm> processing
as well as everyone else.

my question is will dx10 and vista require the gpu makers
to have to go <back so to speak> to more power to be able to
run the next gen of gaming software?

and then after dx10 is out and all the bugs are being
worked out. and they see how everything works after
the end user has experienced and complianed about
this and that will they <ati and nvidia> beable to drop
power comsuption, transistors and such?

do you get the idea or what i am trying to say.

or will they be able to lower the nm process
and power consumption?

example
the new nvidia 8800 or what ever series this fall
or when ever the new dx10 cards come out

will it be 65nm or still 90 and if so will the 65nm need extra power
becuase of the next gen graphics

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
65nm use less power.

it;ll be 65nm but it'll require lots of power still.

look, we dont have a lot of info on this topic. the vid card compaines didnt relase much info.

65nm use less power.

it;ll be 65nm but it'll require lots of power still.

look, we dont have a lot of info on this topic. the vid card compaines didnt relase much info.

Yep, all this is pure speculation for now. The only real thing I've read from Anandtech.com was that the next generation of video cards will be consuming between 130w - 300w. That doesn't necessarily mean that a budget card will consume 130w of power.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
ok so my question is... should I blow a load of money on a new case and PS (take a look here, I have my eye on this) Aluminum ATX case 550watt PS

I would not recommend that PS. I've read two reviews of it that were thumbs down in summary. For a new build with a DX10 gpu, I recommend a solid PS. I assume there will be SLI-like solutions in DX-10 so you might want to think ahead and decide it you will do a single or dual card setup. Dual DX-10 cards will need a large, high current PS. If you go with a single DX-10 card, you'll still need plenty of PS beef. I'd think that a 500 watt unit will not be overkill for a DX10 machine, and if you OC, I'd go beyond that. A multi-12V rail unit providing 35 to 40 A of +12 is probably a starting point. Waiting to find out the requirements of the card you plan to buy is the safest approach.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

I would not recommend that PS. I've read two reviews of it that were thumbs down in summary. For a new build with a DX10 gpu, I recommend a solid PS. I assume there will be SLI-like solutions in DX-10 so you might want to think ahead and decide it you will do a single or dual card setup. Dual DX-10 cards will need a large, high current PS. If you go with a single DX-10 card, you'll still need plenty of PS beef. I'd think that a 500 watt unit will not be overkill for a DX10 machine, and if you OC, I'd go beyond that. A multi-12V rail unit providing 35 to 40 A of +12 is probably a starting point. Waiting to find out the requirements of the card you plan to buy is the safest approach.

heh, i didnt even read that...where did u find that cluelesS??..oh yeah that huge first post.

anyways. as clueless stated. Ultra makes cheap unreliable PSU's. Go with a brand name, Antec, Fortron, Seasonic.

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
"Vista certified Power Supplies" :lol:

you know what I meant by that dude...... the next GEN power supplies since they dont really have a label I used Vista... the GPU's, the Motherboards all of those got these clever little 'Vista Capable' stickers stamped on they boxes n all that stuff....

hey Clue69Less... ok good advice, I'm a single Video Card type user, no SLI for me... and I admit I read a bad review on that power supply as well... it performed bottom of the barrell.... but one thing I really like about it is the cables... have u seen them?? and I quote "Ultra chose an ingenious alternative to cable sleeves: Flat ribbon-style UV-reactive power cables are extremely flexible, easy to route, and look great through clear plastic insulation" so no these arent your typical sleeved cables, these are a little extra.... do you know any other power supplies which feature this type of cable design ??? heres the link to the review on the Ultra PS.. and this page shows you the cables up close Ultra X2 550watt

thanks for all your advice guys, I think this is a question that bothers a lotta people actually das why I brought it up... everyones runnin around like chickens wit they heads cut off, not knowin whether to buy now, or in a bit since all these new products are coming out....

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I agree with Adon. I evaluated 12 brands of modular power supplies and found the Ultra X2 to have the best design. Can I find one with more power? Sure. Can I find one with higher efficiency? Sure. Will I notice the difference? No. Will I notice a difference in the design? Yes!

If I was going to go SLI I might choose a different PSU, but I will always go with a single $250-$300 graphics card.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I agree with Adon. I evaluated 12 brands of modular power supplies and found the Ultra X2 to have the best design. Can I find one with more power? Sure. Can I find one with higher efficiency? Sure. Will I notice the difference? No. Will I notice a difference in the design? Yes!

If I was going to go SLI I might choose a different PSU, but I will always go with a single $250-$300 graphics card.

While ur at it ask ur self this and then tell me if u'd still get the ultra.

"Will the Ultra X2 blow in 4 months and fry ALL my hardware? Sure."

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
While ur at it ask ur self this and then tell me if u'd still get the ultra.

"Will the Ultra X2 blow in 4 months and fry ALL my hardware? Sure."

I read a lot of user reviews on those 12 brands and some of the NAME brands had multiple complaints about frying motherboards! The Ultra X2 did not. It also has a lifetime warranty. I have followed some "problem" threads on their forum and the response and service seem good. Really, if you don't do SLI there is no reason not to get it.

I just realised I have not responded to the topic of this thread yet, so here goes. Sure, the DX10 chipset will be out in September. The cards will follow a bit later. The debugged cards/drivers won't be out for at least 6 months to a year. I wouldn't wait. GPU manufacturers tend to be too quick to market with new stuff to get ahead of their competition and as a result, there are often major problems with new technology releases. Current technology is adequate and not worth being a beta tester to get the latest. However I only play one game. I mostly do video editing and need a very stable GPU. Those who spend many hours a day gaming may find it worth being on the bleeding edge, but you will bleed.

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Design, dude. DESIGN. Yes, there are better quality PSUs. However, I do not need better quality. I need better design. The Ultra X2 gives it to me. I'm happy. Adon is happy. You're happy with your bettey quality PSU. Everyone's happy. No point in arguing about it. The real question is does he get a PSU now (whether better design or better quality) or does he wait until DX10 is out in the market?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
you know what I meant by that dude...... the next GEN power supplies since they dont really have a label I used Vista... the GPU's, the Motherboards all of those got these clever little 'Vista Capable' stickers stamped on they boxes n all that stuff....
Too many people are worried about the G80 and R600 when a current power supply that supports SLI or Crossfire should be more than enough for the GPUs of tomorrow.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I read a lot of user reviews on those 12 brands and some of the NAME brands had multiple complaints about frying motherboards! The Ultra X2 did not. It also has a lifetime warranty. I have followed some "problem" threads on their forum and the response and service seem good. Really, if you don't do SLI there is no reason not to get it.

Check out this review of the Ultra X-Finity 600. Jonnyguru knows power supplies and if you doubt that, just spend some time on his site, see how he tests and equally important, look at how many units he's tested. When you rely on user reviews, you're taking advice from unknown sources. Some may be extremely competent reviewers, some may be newbies reviewing the one and only device they have ever bought. They may plug it in, see it work and have shiny lights and immediately give it 5 of 5 stars. When you read a review on Toms, Anandtech, Johnnyguru, etc., you're reading the words of a professional reviewer. For example, look at Jonny's temperature control chamber and read why he does that test. Another thing - non SLI rigs can be VERY demanding on a PS. SLI or not-SLI is not an adequate decision point.

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
You do make good points. Note though that reviewers often get their review product directly from the manufacturer. These products are often "cherry picked". Also, most reviewers test only one cherry-picked unit whereas user reviews give access to real-world use of multiple retail boxed units. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are different and both should be considered. The X-Finity is a different unit from the X2. Different models of PSUs from the same manufacturer vary wildly.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
You do make good points. Note though that reviewers often get their review product directly from the manufacturer. These products are often "cherry picked".

I can point you at numerous reviewers that get their test gear anonimously for this very reason. I've spent two days in the last month with a guy doing RAM reviews. He got four pairs of 1GB DDR2 Corsair sticks - one pair each through four different sources. Jonnyguru may not go through four units to do his PS tests but the guy is an intensely serious tech with wood for PS reviewing. I'll trust him over Newegg or other such reviews any day. But you are free to do as you wish - and good luck! I've used low quality power supplies and have been burned (so have my mobos, CPUs and GPUs). Lessons learned the hard, painful, expensive way. I no longer buy inexpensive power supplies.

TRENDING THREADS