I just printed a senic using Epson dbl sided matte paper and printed the
same thing on Costco/Kirkland Glossy using an IP4000. For senics I
prefer the glossy finnish.

Based on this I will probably keep the matte for portrait use. Behind
glass it probably does not matter.

I wonder if there is a matte paper that is not pure dull matte. One
that has some egg shell or satin lustre to it. I used some B/W non
glossy paper, the Lab called it a lustre matte.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

birdman

Epson makes a luster finish which is used by many professionals for
portraits: my personal favorite. There are many other high and low end
luster paper surfaces available but you have to learn how to use them and
control color.

www.redriverpaper.com The UltraPro satin is an E-surface paper with exactly
the finish you describe. Both the satin and gloss are excellent and very
reasonably priced. BTW, senic is spelled scenic.

>I just printed a senic using Epson dbl sided matte paper and printed the
>same thing on Costco/Kirkland Glossy using an IP4000. For senics I prefer
>the glossy finnish.
>
> Based on this I will probably keep the matte for portrait use. Behind
> glass it probably does not matter.
>
> I wonder if there is a matte paper that is not pure dull matte. One that
> has some egg shell or satin lustre to it. I used some B/W non glossy
> paper, the Lab called it a lustre matte.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with it?

I second the motion about the red river papers. We just got of the Ultra-pro
satin paper last week to use on the Epson R1800 and it comes off with a
luxurious satin surface, that is hardly dull but a nice lustre and excellent
tonal quality

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

Jan Alter wrote:

>I second the motion about the red river papers. We just got of the Ultra-pro
>satin paper last week to use on the Epson R1800 and it comes off with a
>luxurious satin surface, that is hardly dull but a nice lustre and excellent
>tonal quality

Red River says that this paper has a pattern to it. They have another
low lustre that is smooth. Thinking of getting a sample pack.

Shipping costs on paper is expensive due to the weight.

Shipping is expensive??? According to the shipping calculator at their web
site, it would be $13.71 if you purchased 6 100/sheet boxes. The pattern is
that it isn't gloss - no design. It is the same finish as professional
portrait photography paper.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:29:17 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I just printed a senic using Epson dbl sided matte paper and printed the
>same thing on Costco/Kirkland Glossy using an IP4000. For senics I
>prefer the glossy finnish.
>
>Based on this I will probably keep the matte for portrait use. Behind
>glass it probably does not matter.
>
>I wonder if there is a matte paper that is not pure dull matte. One
>that has some egg shell or satin lustre to it. I used some B/W non
>glossy paper, the Lab called it a lustre matte.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with it?

Take a look at the new Permajet Art Silk.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

There are many semi-gloss or lustre papers on the market. Ilford makes
a selection, as one example.

Art