And my system has:
Pentium4 2.6
4 memory sticks
2 sata hdds
2 dvd roms
3 regular coolers overall
ATI Radeon 9700pro
and a soundblaster 5.1

I have checked 2 psu calculators the 1st one shows me 284W and the 2nd 315W and some say they give you higher results in order to sell you bigger PSUs. What's your opinion?
Also there's a review for this psu here

More about : psu system

July 21, 2006 11:37:21 PM

good PSU. it'll run ur system fine.
July 22, 2006 12:16:39 AM

Are u sure? If i add a hdd more or a better soundcard with external device it will still be ok?
Related resources
July 22, 2006 12:37:52 AM

I'm afraid not.

In this day and age I'd never suggest buying a 300W PSU... its cutting it a bit fine for your system, and its always good to have a little headroom, especially with a P4 and a fairly recent graphics card.

Bear in mind that that PSU has an efficiency rating of 89 percent. This means that not all that 300w will be available to your components, some will be lost in heat/noise etc. Lets say the manufacturer is being 'optimistic', and its closer to 80 percent efficiency:

300w x 0.8 = 240w available power = way below your calculated requirements

If you want something plush/quiet then go for a 400w minimum Antec eg

Antec 430w NeoHE (80-85 percent efficiency)

430w x 0.8 = 344w available = your system covered

If you want something cheaper try a Thermaltake, eg

Thermaltake PurePower 460w (70 percent efficiency)

460w x 0.7 = 322w available = your system covered

Anyway, these are really a minimum. To be honest, you may want to look around the 500w mark if you want to be able to keep the PSU for your next system upgrade... particularly if you go for a new PCI express graphics card and/or additional drives.
July 22, 2006 1:00:40 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid not.

In this day and age I'd never suggest buying a 300W PSU... its cutting it a bit fine for your system, and its always good to have a little headroom, especially with a P4 and a fairly recent graphics card.

Bear in mind that that PSU has an efficiency rating of 89 percent. This means that not all that 300w will be available to your components, some will be lost in heat/noise etc. Lets say the manufacturer is being 'optimistic', and its closer to 80 percent efficiency:

300w x 0.8 = 240w available power = way below your calculated requirements

If you want something plush/quiet then go for a 400w minimum Antec eg

Antec 430w NeoHE

430w x 0.8 = 344w available = your system covered

If you want something cheaper try a Thermaltake, eg PurePower 460w

460w x 0.7 = 322w available = your system covered

Anyway, these are really a minimum. To be honest, you may want to look around the 500w mark if you want to be able to keep the PSU for your next system upgrade... particularly if you go for a new PCI express graphics card and/or additional drives.

you are absolutely crazy.

off 185.5 w i ran 3 7200RPM HDD's 1 optical. 1 MX440 @ 380 MHz (stock 270MHz). SB Audigy 2. Pentium 4 1.8 GHz.

12v rail @ 10 amps. AND it was a 5 year old PSU.
July 22, 2006 1:27:21 AM

Hah Antec 430w NeoHE was the next one I was thinking to buy after the FSP cause it is the most silent PSU with fan I've seen till now (<18db as it says on antec's site) and very good also.
But theres an issue with the price. Here in Greece I can find it only at 100euros=130$ and in USA u can have it with only 70$ (half price). I will see if I can order it from there and how much will it cost me with the custom fees and stuff. It will be less than 130$ thats for sure (what a crazy world :wink: )
July 22, 2006 1:35:22 AM

Quote:
Hah Antec 430w NeoHE was the next one I was thinking to buy after the FSP cause it is the most silent PSU with fan I've seen till now (<18db as it says on antec's site) and very good also.
But theres an issue with the price. Here in Greece I can find it only at 100euros=130$ and in USA u can have it with only 70$ (half price). I will see if I can order it from there and how much will it cost me with the custom fees and stuff. It will be less than 130$ thats for sure (what a crazy world :wink: )

my suggestion is not to make a purchase based on daves claims.

500w is overkill for many systems. the 300w PSU u chose is very good and more than sufficent for your system
July 22, 2006 1:45:48 AM

You're joking, right?

The rest of your systems are about the same, but

The Geforce MX440 is rated like 10w (max) at stock! OC'd its not gonna be more than 20w.

Toms rated the 9700pro as 54w.

So lets call that a 40w difference on average dependant on load?

Just because you managed to scrape by with a sh*t PSU, doesn't mean someone else's system wouldn't crash and burn.

A good PSU is the easiest thing to overlook, but I've had two die on me over the years and I've learnt my lesson.

I'd say that the sole reason your system survived on an underpowered PSU was because the graphics card put so little strain on the system (in terms of wattage and rail). The GeforceGo laptop GPU's were first adapted from the GeforceMX series for this precise reason - low power consumption.

I'm not saying his system wouldn't survive on that PSU - I'm saying that I personally wouldn't risk it. Especially when a 400w+ PSU is so cheap these days, such as Thermaltake I mentioned... or even built into the average case!

I'm also looking to the future. A 300w PSU is not future-proof by any means.

Dude... if you want a cheap PSU, then I'm sure you could probably just scrape along with that 300w. However, if the Antec is too pricey for you then perhaps look into the thermaltake or similar at around 400w? I'm saying from experience - combined with a hot P4 graphics cards from the 9700pro generation and beyond will *break* a poor PSU.
July 22, 2006 3:38:55 AM

Fortron is "poor" ???

9700 is rated at 37w.

MX440 is rated at 25w + an overclock on 110MHz, i would say atleast an extra 10 watts cuz my generic PSU crapped out when it hit 450 MHz with it.

Oh, more proof??

my friend runs the following.

P4 2.66 GHZ
6600GT - AGP
100GB HDD
2 opticals
1 sound card

i have installed 2 HDD's into his system same 185.5 w generic PSU.

EDIT: I even installed a similar system with a 3.6 GHz P4 PRESCOTT on a 250w SHUTTLE PSU. RAN fine.

now i hope ur not gonna argue that a 6600GT uses less power than a 9700pro.

Once again. the Fortron 300w PSU will get you along very well. There is no point in spending more money on an AGP system.

Once again. Dave. You look at those calcs too much. you do know the calcs arent 100% correct right? also you do know that the calc gives numbers that are under 100% load.
July 22, 2006 7:17:19 AM

Where are you getting your numbers from? I was incorrect on the MX440 but certainly not on the fact that the 9700Pro is power hungry:

http://www.tecchannel.de/technologie/komponenten/401858...

(you want the second graph down for a load situation)

It shows the 9700Pro at 54W and the MX440 (albeit stock) at 21. It also doesn't talk about strain on individual rails.

And yes, I'm aware that the calculators show figures under 100% load. Although this would be a an extremely difficult-to-obtain power draw, I would personally always design a system to cope with the theoretical maximum.

FYI, my 300wish PSU blew when I migrated from a Geforce 2MX to a Radeon 9700Pro, so I'm talking from experience.

The system was nforce / Athlon 1800+ / 512MB / 2 optical / 2 HDD / onboard audio.

Again, just because you've had systems that have managed to limp along with a meagre power supply doesn't mean that there are 10x the amount of people that have had problems doing it that way.

My advice to the creator of this thread would be that of most users on this forum and most of the internet - don't skimp on a power supply, its important to have enough power. This system you mention may just limp along with that PSU, but next time you upgrade it will have to go in the bin.
July 22, 2006 3:23:25 PM

sigh.....for the last time. hes not skimping on the PSU. the PSU he chose is made by a very good company.

PSU's dont generally "blow" when you put too many things on it. Your PC doesnt boot.

once again. I see no point in buying 550w as you suggested. you blow things up too big.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=455012

Once again. The PSu the original poster chose will run the system he has.
July 22, 2006 4:30:19 PM

*sigh*

The two I suggested were 430 and 460w respectively, not 550w. 500+ was mentioned in passing as a very futureproof possibility.

I wasn't just looking at the system he has, I was looking at the system he will have. Nothing wrong with looking ahead a little.

Even the manufacturers themselves are following this path, a new graphics card (e.g X1900XT) recommends a 450w PSU minimum.

AMD have replaced the 550w Antec's they were using for testing purposes.

I personally have learnt from experience to plan ahead by at least one upgrade cycle for my PCs.

Oh, and you're talking to the wrong person. PSU's do blow. When you've taken apart a PSU yourself (as I have) and replaced the fast blow fuse with a new one for $1 to get it working again, even though every magazine and website under the sun told me that I needed a new one for 50 times that cost - then get back to me.

In all dude (creator of the thread) we are arguing about something pretty pointless to be honest - because we are both right in a sense. Yes, the 300w PSU will just about power your system so pengwin has a very valid point. However it will need to be replaced if/when you upgrade to more power-hungry components. This imo is justification alone for buying a better PSU now rather than having to get a second one later (say, in a year's time).

Disclaimer: PSU's can hold considerable charge even whilst off (as can a monitor) and CAN KILL, do not open one unless you know what you are doing. I don't really, but my dad is an IT support desk manager (former PC engineer of various kinds for like 15 years+) so I at least know the best ways not to die. Thanks.
July 22, 2006 4:56:38 PM

In the link u gave Pengwin theres a stress test for a 350W antec psu. Its strange but when i put the components of that pc in the psu calculatos they both give less than 350W (about 310-325). And for my pc one of the calcs give me more than 300W.
July 22, 2006 5:03:20 PM

thats the thing tho....any AGP to date will run on taht 300w PSU. he has no reason to get anything larger.

i agree with the future proof. but the guy has AGP hes already behind, there is no reason to spend any more money than you have to. especially 120+ dollars for a 430w Antec PSU.

finally, neuron PSU calcs are not correct. They are general guidelines. the are not 100 percent correct. The 300w FSP will run any single card AGP system you could ever want.
July 22, 2006 5:27:00 PM

Yes the only upgrade for me if possible it will be a little better video card and a much better sound card witch means 20-25 watts more.
Now the prices for me are the same for both psus (the fsp and antec) its 100euros. Both of them are very good psus. I was thinking about fsp only because it is fanless (0db noise)
July 22, 2006 6:00:49 PM

Quote:
Yes the only upgrade for me if possible it will be a little better video card and a much better sound card witch means 20-25 watts more.
Now the prices for me are the same for both psus (the fsp and antec) its 100euros. Both of them are very good psus. I was thinking about fsp only because it is fanless (0db noise)

oh, hell if they are the same prices get the Antec.
July 23, 2006 3:48:14 AM

Do you know any other fanless psu as good as the fsp but with more watts near 400? Cause I've seen some but in this article here they do not seem such good.

edit: or would it be better to make a new thread with this question cause its offtopic? yes meet me there...
and thank you veeery much for your answers
July 23, 2006 4:38:57 AM

I think what he's got is probably fine for the system he's got.

But otherwise, i see now problem, unless the 9700 uses more power than a x800XL. I've got an athlon 64 and it's pulling roughly 200 to 210 watts at full load while playing a game.

When I put this system together, everyone was saying things like Dave that I needed a huge PS for the system. So I got a 500 (or is it 550) watt OCZ Modstream. It's complete overkill and will remain complete overkill for the forseeable future. I have little doubt that I could use a 300w PS in this system and still be in decent shape. My guess is the same is true for you.
July 23, 2006 4:56:00 AM

Quote:
Do you know any other fanless psu as good as the fsp but with more watts near 400? Cause I've seen some but in this article here they do not seem such good.

edit: or would it be better to make a new thread with this question cause its offtopic? yes meet me there...
and thank you veeery much for your answers

You could probably get a seasonic PSU. They're well regarded in the silent computing community, and I'm sure they have a fanless psu.
July 24, 2006 1:59:51 AM

Antec do a fanless 'phantom' PSU, but you pay through the nose for it.
July 24, 2006 2:40:04 AM

Quote:
Antec do a fanless 'phantom' PSU, but you pay through the nose for it.

yup. it has a fan in it if the PSU over heats
July 24, 2006 3:19:19 AM

If you didn't look yet, here's a review of the PSU in question. They seem fairly impressed.

I also needed modify what I said about power draw. I said I peaked at 220 watts while running a game. That was incorrect. I had a 21" monitor connected to the UPS. Once you take that out, the top draw was roughly 150 or 160 watts.

Keep in mind, that if you play a game, rip a CD and back up another HD at the same time, your draw will be greater. Then again, I can't think of any time where I do those things simultaneously and once you drop the graphics intensive game out of the picture, you're unlikely to hit 200 watts, much less 300.

The antec fanless does have better 12v rails. Personally, I think you're better off getting a seasonic with a quiet fan. Unless you have an exceptionally quiet rig, the PSU is not going to be the loudest thing in the system.
July 24, 2006 3:24:25 AM

Quote:
If you didn't look yet, here's a review of the PSU in question. They seem fairly impressed.

I also needed modify what I said about power draw. I said I peaked at 220 watts while running a game. That was incorrect. I had a 21" monitor connected to the UPS. Once you take that out, the top draw was roughly 150 or 160 watts.

Keep in mind, that if you play a game, rip a CD and back up another HD at the same time, your draw will be greater. Then again, I can't think of any time where I do those things simultaneously and once you drop the graphics intensive game out of the picture, you're unlikely to hit 200 watts, much less 300.

The antec fanless does have better 12v rails. Personally, I think you're better off getting a seasonic with a quiet fan. Unless you have an exceptionally quiet rig, the PSU is not going to be the loudest thing in the system.

generally 80mm PSU fans are pretty quiet.
July 24, 2006 6:12:59 AM

It depends on what he considers quiet. Since he's looking at fanless PSUs, an 80mm fan is probably too loud. even if it doens't need to be super quiet, SPCR is a great place to read meaningful reviews of PSUs. Frankly, I don't THG, Anand or virtually any other site I've seen conducts reviews that are nearly as thorough.
July 24, 2006 9:01:30 AM

Honestly fellas. You both right and wrong...

Wattage is not the only thing to look for in a PSU. Looking for voltage rail stability, upgrade path, efficiency, and among other things, reliability!

When I buy a PSU, I take all of those things into consideration! It may be over kill, but it is worth it to never have to upgrade (or for at least a long while!) and worry about it failing on me for pushing it to its limits. (happend to me a few times)

Anyone that pays over $100 for a PSU should go straight for the FSP epsilon 700W (or 600w) >85% efficiency and rock solid voltage rails. I did a froogle search for the 700w verison and got a low price of $130 (600w for $109). Sounds like a great deal!

So yes that PSU will run your system fine. But will it be the the better choise, IMHO, No.
July 24, 2006 4:14:12 PM

Quote:

Wattage is not the only thing to look for in a PSU. Looking for voltage rail stability, upgrade path, efficiency, and among other things, reliability!

When I buy a PSU, I take all of those things into consideration! It may be over kill, but it is worth it to never have to upgrade (or for at least a long while!) and worry about it failing on me for pushing it to its limits. (happend to me a few times)

Anyone that pays over $100 for a PSU should go straight for the FSP epsilon 700W (or 600w) >85% efficiency and rock solid voltage rails. I did a froogle search for the 700w verison and got a low price of $130 (600w for $109). Sounds like a great deal!

So yes that PSU will run your system fine. But will it be the the better choise, IMHO, No.

Sigh.

In my humble opinion. He has AGP. There is no upgarde path which requires 700w for him. If he gets PCI-e then he will need a whole new system.
July 24, 2006 5:37:58 PM

Quote:

What's the point of a 700W PSU, if you're generally not going to use more than 150 and if stressed to the limit you might use 250?

I'm also fairly certain that if you buy a 300W PSU, that's it's output, not it's power draw. Thus any 300W PSU worth a crap can output 300W. Higher efficiency just means it uses less AC power to produce the 300W.

Finally, 85% efficiency is nice, but if it's not attaining that level at a 50% or greater load (most PSUs become less effient as the load drops), he'll never realize that benefit. The guys system doesn't require anything more than 300w. And unless he intends to move to a high end SLI rig in the near future, there's just no reason to spend a lot on an overpowered PSU (or any PSU for that matter).

Despite the recent THG article, almost NOBODY needs a 500w PSU, much less a 1000w PSU for a home system.
July 25, 2006 6:59:02 AM

Yes I found this FSP Zen review you say nilepez yesterday and I was about to post it. This review couldnt be better. Perfect job from the guiz in silentpcreview. Theres a link there also for another awsome review about psus generally and specifically (temps, noise, etc) Power Supply Fundamentals & Recommendations. You all have to read it :wink: it is enlightening from any point regarding psu.
Now about the FSP as it appears in this review, if it had passed the 1st real system testing (page5) it would surely be good for me too. But it failed even though in the 2nd review they say "Around 300W DC looks to be about the highest power draw from a single CPU full-bore high end system at this time (Feb 2005)". And the 2nd test tells me nothing cause its very light load for the psu. So, unfortunately I can't buy this psu for my system.
July 25, 2006 8:34:35 AM

But not all PSU are built the same... What about voltage dropps during high load on a 300w PSU? I shoot for rock solid voltages mosty since I do OC my machines and want to feed them steady power, ragardless of wether I OC or not, and not just adiquate power to get buy.

500-600w PSU's may be more than plenty of power, but its how they act under that load is what is most important. Ive seen name brand PSU voltages drop into the red zone on some voltage rails that should be "More than enough power"... So what if a 12v rail can put out 20A... But if it does so at 11.5v (you get the point), then thats no good in my book!
July 25, 2006 4:03:14 PM

Quote:
Yes I found this FSP Zen review you say nilepez yesterday and I was about to post it. This review couldnt be better. Perfect job from the guiz in silentpcreview. Theres a link there also for another awsome review about psus generally and specifically (temps, noise, etc) Power Supply Fundamentals & Recommendations. You all have to read it :wink: it is enlightening from any point regarding psu.
Now about the FSP as it appears in this review, if it had passed the 1st real system testing (page5) it would surely be good for me too. But it failed even though in the 2nd review they say "Around 300W DC looks to be about the highest power draw from a single CPU full-bore high end system at this time (Feb 2005)". And the 2nd test tells me nothing cause its very light load for the psu. So, unfortunately I can't buy this psu for my system.

the PSU is rated at 300w. what else do they expect.

look for ur AGP system or anyother AGP system that PSU is 100% fine.
July 25, 2006 4:34:57 PM

Quote:
But not all PSU are built the same... What about voltage dropps during high load on a 300w PSU? I shoot for rock solid voltages mosty since I do OC my machines and want to feed them steady power, ragardless of wether I OC or not, and not just adiquate power to get buy.

500-600w PSU's may be more than plenty of power, but its how they act under that load is what is most important. Ive seen name brand PSU voltages drop into the red zone on some voltage rails that should be "More than enough power"... So what if a 12v rail can put out 20A... But if it does so at 11.5v (you get the point), then thats no good in my book!

I guess, but honestly, how often are you going to run a torture test like that...and even then it only drew 200 watts. And the defective unit showed that it had no meaningful sags all the way up to 300 watts.

I'd agree that there are questions about it's method of cooling, but as I read the review, it's ability to power the system is not in question. Especially given the modest requirement specified in the OP.
July 25, 2006 7:56:08 PM

Ops I didn't checket the 2nd testing as much as needed. The video card is still the PCIe one same as the 1st test. Hmm. And with the benchmark it peaked at 250W with 135W when idle. It concerns me now that they say "the Zen is more efficient below 150W — the range in which it is most likely to be used" and that "A system that draws ~250W maximum and idles at <100W would be a good match for the 300W PSU (talking about Seasonic Super Tornado 300)".

The question is: Is this system more demanding than mine?
mine___________________________the tester's
Pentium4 2.6GHz_________________Pentium4 520 2.8GHz
4 DDR memory sticks (1.5Gb)________1 DDR2 memory stick (512Mb)
2 sata hdds_____________________1 ide hdd
2 dvd roms_____________________
3 regular coolers overall___________2 coolers
ATI Radeon 9700pro______________AOpen Aeolus 6800GT DVD256MV PCIe
and a soundblaster 5.1 ___________
I think not
July 25, 2006 7:58:45 PM

Quote:
Ops I didn't checket the 2nd testing as much as needed. The video card is still the PCIe one same as the 1st test. Hmm. And with the benchmark it peaked at 250W with 135W when idle. It concerns me now that they say "the Zen is more efficient below 150W — the range in which it is most likely to be used" and that "A system that draws ~250W maximum and idles at <100W would be a good match for the 300W PSU (talking about Seasonic Super Tornado 300)".

I think not

6800GT is a power hog.
July 25, 2006 10:18:25 PM

Quote:

I think not

I think their system is more demanding. HD's don't use that much power, other than at start up. Graphics cards aren't going to kill you, unless you're playing a game (and the 6800gt, I believe, requires an extra power connector that draws 75watts by itself). Your DVD drives are meaningless 99% of the time, because your'e not using htem (and they probably only use 15 or 20 watts each when they're going balls to the wall).

Your SB draws next to nothing.

Memory? Not a big drain on power. Your CPU and your Video card are singlehandedly the biggest users of power(well maybe not the 9700).

I'm not an expert, but as I type, my machine is using 90 watts (and that's what its drawing from the socket, not what the CPU/GPU/ram et. al. is using.

I'll repeat, when I'm playing a game AND for fun running super pi AND running a virus scan, I'm still using well under 150 watts.

If you want a 500 watt PSU, go for it, but as one who was convinced I needed one last year, I can honestly say it was a waste of money. Any qualtiy 300w PSU with adequate 12v rails would've been fine. I bought it used from SPCR and Mike Chen tried to convince me I didn't need it. But places THG and Hardocp convinced me I needed more. Mike was right and all the enthusiasts are dead wrong.

Quality is important, but Fortron is one of many quality PSUs.
July 26, 2006 5:21:58 AM

ah...the feeling of being right again :) 

boo-yah dave :)  j/k
July 31, 2006 8:42:30 AM

lol :p  you win

It'll be interesting to see what happens to his system with a 300w fanless PSU.

On paper says 'yes', experience says 'no'.

Ah well, we'll see in 12m time.

And it still doesn't remove my point that he'll probably need to upgrade it when he next upgrades his graphics card.
July 31, 2006 3:13:38 PM

Quote:

And it still doesn't remove my point that he'll probably need to upgrade it when he next upgrades his graphics card.

It's probably ok, as long as he has good airflow in his system. Personally, I think a PSU with a 120mm fan is quiet enough, and I suspect one with smaller fans could work too, though you might have to replace them with quieter fans.

I replaced the fan in my OCZ, because it was clicking all the time (not super loud, but once you get the machine quiet the little things become annoying).
July 31, 2006 3:22:43 PM

Quote:

i dunno if he will reply..most ppl dont follow up
August 1, 2006 1:44:05 AM

You mean I will not reply? NoI will not :p  . I sould have the psu now but its my brothers fault aaahhh Im gonna kill him. The shop is in another town where my brother went for holidays and I told him to buy it cause he would return home last friday but now he decided to stay the hole month!! So he will send it to me with courier one of these days.
August 1, 2006 2:21:34 AM

sucks for u
August 1, 2006 5:08:54 PM

Quote:
You mean I will not reply? NoI will not :p  . I sould have the psu now but its my brothers fault aaahhh Im gonna kill him. The shop is in another town where my brother went for holidays and I told him to buy it cause he would return home last friday but now he decided to stay the hole month!! So he will send it to me with courier one of these days.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just mail order it? I'm not sure hwat country you're in, but in the U.S., virtually everything is cheaper from online retailers.
August 4, 2006 9:43:32 AM

I just installed it. yeeee. It of course works fine for the time
August 4, 2006 11:25:07 AM

Pengwin, look, I'll settle it for everyone, I'll just sell him my FSP. That way DaveUK gets his bit by ensuring Neuron is future proof and you get yours by ensuring he has a good FSP product. lol
August 4, 2006 2:13:08 PM

Quote:
I just installed it. yeeee. It of course works fine for the time

Grats NeuroN. Now make sure you have good airflow in that case.
!