What OS is inside the Linksys/Sipura boxes?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.embedded (More info?)

I am the proud owner of a Sipura ATA, and have used many Linksys boxes
in my home network for a long time, before Cisco acquired them.

I have read that all those boxes are "Linux Inside" (TM) :)

Can someone confirm or deny that?

What other well-known products run embedded Linux?

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.embedded (More info?)

"Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in

> I am the proud owner of a Sipura ATA, and have used many Linksys boxes
> in my home network for a long time, before Cisco acquired them.
>
> I have read that all those boxes are "Linux Inside" (TM) :)
>
> Can someone confirm or deny that?
>
> What other well-known products run embedded Linux?

Well Linksys WRT54G(S) springs to mind... with open code and zillions of
free add-on functions, alternative firmware etc., this hardware have sold
much better than it would have done with "closed" code.

best regards,
NKJensen

--
DYT ikke ved E-mail...

Kermit

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003

Niels Kristian Jensen wrote:

> "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in
>
>> I am the proud owner of a Sipura ATA, and have used many Linksys boxes
>> in my home network for a long time, before Cisco acquired them.
>>
>> I have read that all those boxes are "Linux Inside" (TM) :)
>>
>> Can someone confirm or deny that?
>>
>> What other well-known products run embedded Linux?
>
> Well Linksys WRT54G(S) springs to mind... with open code and zillions of
> free add-on functions, alternative firmware etc., this hardware have sold
> much better than it would have done with "closed" code.

Unfortunately, it is not that open. Some drivers and the "heart" of router -
a program that actually interprets configuration and executes it - are
closed source and unlikely to be ever opened. Besides no one knows for sure
if binary FW that runs in router is actually built from the sources
available (read - how outdated sources are).

=arvi=