HELP! Themes acting funny!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

The font on my desktop icons does not appear to want to
follow the XP theme. It appears to be following the
Classic theme. Windows will only let me choose a font
color and font background. It does not give me a "no
fill" option to show the desktop picture behind the
font. Does anyone know how I might fix this? I don't
know what caused it to change, but it used to display a
white font with a black outline of the font that would
show the desktop picture behind it. Thanks in advance for
any help anyone can offer.

Hi Chris-

This setting is a little odd to find. Try this:

Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties
Go to the Advanced tab
Click on the Settings button under Performance
In the Visual Effects tab, make sure "Use drop shadows for icon labels on
the desktop" is checked.

--
Kelli Zielinski
Please reply to the group

"Chris" <cmiller@accela.com> wrote in message
> The font on my desktop icons does not appear to want to
> follow the XP theme. It appears to be following the
> Classic theme. Windows will only let me choose a font
> color and font background. It does not give me a "no
> fill" option to show the desktop picture behind the
> font. Does anyone know how I might fix this? I don't
> know what caused it to change, but it used to display a
> white font with a black outline of the font that would
> show the desktop picture behind it. Thanks in advance for
> any help anyone can offer.

Hello Kelli & Chris,

Chris did this do the trick for you? It odd enough of an issue, but I have
spent the last 2 hours (I know a bit anal) trying to resolve this same thing.
I have XP Home and 2 users (in addition to me) on this computer... both of
thier setup remain as delivered... no color behind the font.. somewhat 3D
looking. I cannot duplicate this set up on this users screen. Any other
tips or suggestions?

Thank you in advance...
Joe

"Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Chris-
>
> This setting is a little odd to find. Try this:
>
> Right click on My Computer
> Choose Properties
> Go to the Advanced tab
> Click on the Settings button under Performance
> In the Visual Effects tab, make sure "Use drop shadows for icon labels on
> the desktop" is checked.
>
> --
> Kelli Zielinski
> Please reply to the group
>
> "Chris" <cmiller@accela.com> wrote in message
> > The font on my desktop icons does not appear to want to
> > follow the XP theme. It appears to be following the
> > Classic theme. Windows will only let me choose a font
> > color and font background. It does not give me a "no
> > fill" option to show the desktop picture behind the
> > font. Does anyone know how I might fix this? I don't
> > know what caused it to change, but it used to display a
> > white font with a black outline of the font that would
> > show the desktop picture behind it. Thanks in advance for
> > any help anyone can offer.

Joe

Kelli,

I spent a lot of time since last night on this issue and found another
thread that you worked on with Ron, where one of his issues were the
same...with the ICON.You also told him: "Desktop > [right click] > Arrange
by >
and unchecking the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" instantly gave me the text
with drop shadow and transparent background..
I have tried that as well.

When I change login to say the guest - the transparent logo is there and I
can toggle it back and forth (on and off) as you suggested. But, On my login
screen this does not do the trick. Is there something else?

Thank you in advance.

"Joe P" wrote:

> Hello Kelli & Chris,
>
> Chris did this do the trick for you? It odd enough of an issue, but I have
> spent the last 2 hours (I know a bit anal) trying to resolve this same thing.
> I have XP Home and 2 users (in addition to me) on this computer... both of
> thier setup remain as delivered... no color behind the font.. somewhat 3D
> looking. I cannot duplicate this set up on this users screen. Any other
> tips or suggestions?
>
> Thank you in advance...
> Joe
>
> "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris-
> >
> > This setting is a little odd to find. Try this:
> >
> > Right click on My Computer
> > Choose Properties
> > Go to the Advanced tab
> > Click on the Settings button under Performance
> > In the Visual Effects tab, make sure "Use drop shadows for icon labels on
> > the desktop" is checked.
> >
> > --
> > Kelli Zielinski
> > Please reply to the group
> >
> > "Chris" <cmiller@accela.com> wrote in message
> > > The font on my desktop icons does not appear to want to
> > > follow the XP theme. It appears to be following the
> > > Classic theme. Windows will only let me choose a font
> > > color and font background. It does not give me a "no
> > > fill" option to show the desktop picture behind the
> > > font. Does anyone know how I might fix this? I don't
> > > know what caused it to change, but it used to display a
> > > white font with a black outline of the font that would
> > > show the desktop picture behind it. Thanks in advance for
> > > any help anyone can offer.

Joe

Kelli & Chris and all others with this issue...

I found a fix... or at least "my fix"... I made sure all items were set as
Kelli indicated and then also: right click Desktop, Properties, Desktop,
Customize Desktop, Click on Web Tab... and remove any ref in Web Pages... not
even sure how anything got there... but this fixed the "tranlucent" issue.

Thank you for your help and Hope that this adds to another fix for another
person...

Joe