ATI too fond of XP mode

Spontz

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Greetings,

I've recently returned an nVidia 7900GT and replaced it with an ATI X1900GT. Having done so, I've discovered an odd problem. The ATI Catalyst drivers force Windows XP to load in the XP display mode, rather than the "Windows Classic" mode which I prefer.

Would anyone know how to fix this problem?

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I've no idea why, I just swapped a 7800GT for a X1900XT and I don't have that problem at all, I'm still in 'windows classic' taskbar etc.

I'm not sure why you'd replace a 7900GT with an X1900GT tho, the ATI card is markedly slower. The X1900XT is the competitor for nVidia's 7900GT. The X1900GT has less pipes and a reduced clockspeed.

Try running a 'driver cleaner' from guru3d.com to remove nvidias display drivers entirely.

Then, try reinstalling the latest catalyst drivers.

After reboot, reselect windows classic as your theme.

If it keeps switching back, then I have no idea. Its very strange...

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
It depends on what kind of games he plays. Nvidia and ATI don't use the same architecture, so you can't necessarily say it woul dbe slower because of a lower clock and less pipes. Take the X1900XTX: 16 pipes, blows every 24 piper out of the water, (minus he 7950, but we're talking single GPU here)

In this case it appears the X1900GT is faster thant he 7900GT in some cases, while the latter is faster in others.

Regardless, I doubt that's a driver problem, just reset your preferences? I use an X800XL right now and I have classic view on with no problems.

Spontz

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I switched for the X1900GT for three reasons: first, I was (apparently erroneously) told it was the ATI equivalent of the 7900GT, second it has a very nice "IceQ3" cooler on it, which is dead quiet, and I'm trying to build a silent (or close to silent) PC. Third and finally, it's about $100.00 cheaper (within $20.00 of the price I paid for the 7900GT), and I can't afford to spend another hundred bucks on this thing. :)

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Greetings,

I've recently returned an nVidia 7900GT and replaced it with an ATI X1900GT. Having done so, I've discovered an odd problem. The ATI Catalyst drivers force Windows XP to load in the XP display mode, rather than the "Windows Classic" mode which I prefer.

Would anyone know how to fix this problem?

The Catalyst driver requires Microsoft .Net Framework. When installed, it
creates a new "user" account. Just delete that account but keep the files

Spontz

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Which creates the new user account, .NET or Catalyst? Whichever is supposed to, it didn't. Could that be the problem, that it was supposed to create a new account but didn't, so the existing one is screwed up beyond belief?

I'd rather like to keep my current username, and not have it change to Spontz_2. If I work around that by making a dummy account, deleting the original, then re-creating it with the same name, will there be bits left behind that will also re-create the problem?

Also, when you say keep the files, do you mean keep the user files or keep the driver files?

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Which creates the new user account, .NET or Catalyst? Whichever is supposed to, it didn't. Could that be the problem, that it was supposed to create a new account but didn't, so the existing one is screwed up beyond belief?

I'd rather like to keep my current username, and not have it change to Spontz_2. If I work around that by making a dummy account, deleting the original, then re-creating it with the same name, will there be bits left behind that will also re-create the problem?

Also, when you say keep the files, do you mean keep the user files or keep the driver files?

Here you can see what I'm talking about http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Microsoft Framework creates the account. You should keep the user and driver files. , not the user account.
Also go to user accounts==>change the way users log on and off==> uncheck "Use the welcome screen" and "Use fast user switching"

If none of the above resolves the issue go to System>Advanced>Peformance>Settings>Visual effects>and check "adjust for best performance" and all the eye candy will be gone for sure

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi Spontz,
Yeah ATI can be a little 'different' if you're used to nVidia...
But I have sorted out all the CCC + MSNet confusion, for example Net Framework 2.0 is fine for CCC (Net v/1.1 not specifically required) and as mentioned, Net adds a system account which has no application to CCC, so can be removed.
Also, CCC does not need to run all the time - if removed from startup, it is still easily available from ATI icon 'Restart Runtime'. In addition to some memory recovered, WinXP will start up noticably quicker too.
There is a fellow who is a wealth of info, and I recommend him:

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Perhaps your WinXP Classic-desktop issue is addressed (he is very thorough), but that's pretty strange/unusual and I can think of no solution to offer.
I bet fresh WinXP install would be no problems (but that's a little harsh, eh? Heheh...)
Regards

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
It depends on what kind of games he plays. Nvidia and ATI don't use the same architecture, so you can't necessarily say it woul dbe slower because of a lower clock and less pipes

I was comparing cards within the same architecture. The X1900GT has less pipes and lower clockspeed than the X1900XT, which all adds up to a big difference in games.

Interestingly I have the HIS X1900XT which I got for the IceQ cooler and it is indeed pretty good.

It's just a shame your budget couldn't stretch, and some goon told you the X1900GT was a good card to replace the 7900GT with :(

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Well, the 7900GT and X1900XT seem close in most of the benchmarks.

The X1800 and 7800 series are the two older architectures.

The X1900 and 7900 series are the newer cores.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I was looking around at some benchmarks of the X1900GT and it really isn't that bad of a replacement, especially for the amount of money he saved. It does fairly well compared to the 7900GT, especially when you crank of up the AA and other features.

This review has it winning several benchmarks:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/GTREVIEW/

Here's another:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-x1900gt.html

TRENDING THREADS