Best way to hook up 2.5 TB to a Laptop?

purplegamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I recently sold my pc and because of space and portability issues I am thinking about buying a notebook.

But I still have 2.5TB (7HDDs) I dont use the HDDs just as storage for old stuff, I am an entertainment freak so I wanna have all the data readily available to me.

I want to avoid hooking up each HDD individually through usb or firewire. I also want to avoid building a server. Any of you experts have any ideas on what I should look into.

*Been reading a lot bout conroes and man i am really impressed along with the rest of the people so if there isnt a way i can manage to hook up HDD to the notebook then I guess I will invest my money on just one sick conroe system.

I don't see any practical way to hook up 7 hard drives to a laptop, other than USB or firewire. You could get a USB hub and do it that way, but you would have very slow acess to those drives if you try to access more than one. I =t would probably be easier to get a Conroe system and hook up the drives that way. If you give me a budget, I can make a suggestion on a parts list for you.

maxtoons

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I faced the same problem when I bought a Toshiba P25, as I wanted to replace my Disk top with a powerfull Laptop, You will just need to buy 7 Diffrent drive cases to make the drives exturnal.
The only hub I know that will hander 4 USB ports is made by Orange PC card, very nice and never hade a problem with it.
I burned DVD's with files on the drives.
But I do not recommend USB hubs that connect via a USB port "USB interface" very bad and they disconnect often.
But Over all, and after 1 year, I came running back to Disk Top, no patter how powerfull the laptop is, as a power user, you need a disk top. 8)

purplegamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I don't see any practical way to hook up 7 hard drives to a laptop, other than USB or firewire. You could get a USB hub and do it that way, but you would have very slow acess to those drives if you try to access more than one. I =t would probably be easier to get a Conroe system and hook up the drives that way. If you give me a budget, I can make a suggestion on a parts list for you.

Thanks for your reply, well I have been reading my asss off a lot lately and I am at the moment definitely leaning more towards just building a conroe system.

Well I dont need any HDDs, and no video card (using my old 7600gt). I am going to upgrade when the DX10 cards come out. Anyways I think I am looking around $1000-1200 for RAM, CPU, Case, Mobo, HS.

I also have bookmarked hardware, I gotta put it in a list and post it so you guys can critique. I gotta jet n get some food any ways post your suggestion.

purplegamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I faced the same problem when I bought a Toshiba P25, as I wanted to replace my Disk top with a powerfull Laptop, You will just need to buy 7 Diffrent drive cases to make the drives exturnal.
The only hub I know that will hander 4 USB ports is made by Orange PC card, very nice and never hade a problem with it.
I burned DVD's with files on the drives.
But I do not recommend USB hubs that connect via a USB port "USB interface" very bad and they disconnect often.
But Over all, and after 1 year, I came running back to Disk Top, no patter how powerfull the laptop is, as a power user, you need a disk top. 8)

I here you, I definitely need a fast system. I cannot imagine not being able to upgrade for a long time as well.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300: approx. $210 - (If you can afford it, get the E6600..... approx. $350)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 <--- Will support Kentsfield, so you don't have to do a complete upgrade when you find you need more speed.

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 480W

Case: I'll leave that up to you....

Estimated total before taxes and shipping (with the E6300): $765.97

Estimated total before taxes and shipping (with the E6600): $905.97