Server Migration with Admt

Hi All,
Am in the process of migrating from w2k to w2k3 using admt. I have been able
to migrate all user and group accounts successfully without any problem.
I just started migrating some of the servers to the new domain but it keeps
failing with access denied errors in the logs.
I have checked dns configuration and all seems to be fine. Any ideas why
admt is failing on the server migrations?
Thanks

It can be many problems.

For susseccfully migration of computers and security translation on it we
need:

- member of local group Administrators
- running services Server and Remote Registry
- share Admin$ on computers

Check admt agent log for any information and post its to newsgroup.

"" wrote:
> Hi All,
> Am in the process of migrating from w2k to w2k3 using admt. I
> have been able
> to migrate all user and group accounts successfully without
> any problem.
> I just started migrating some of the servers to the new domain
> but it keeps
> failing with access denied errors in the logs.
> I have checked dns configuration and all seems to be fine. Any
> ideas why
> admt is failing on the server migrations?
> Thanks

An access denied means you do not have enough permissions and has
nothing to do with DNS

you need local administrator permission permissions on each server to
be migrated. Presuming you have ADMT installed in the target domain
(w2k3) and you have domain admin permissions in the target domain.
Also assuming the source domain at least has the Windows 2000 Native
Mode
Create in the source domain a DOMAIN LOCAL GROUP. Put that DOMAIN
LOCAL GROUP in each of the local administrators group on each server
through the Restricted groups feature.

Put the target account you are using to migrate in the DOMAIN LOCAL
GROUP.

This one of the many ways to acchieve permission on source servers
when migrating to another domain. The ADMT documentation also
describes how to set permissions for migrating servers.

Good luck!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Server-Migration-Admt-ftopict404489.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1340281

"" wrote:
> Hi All,
> Am in the process of migrating from w2k to w2k3 using admt. I
> have been able
> to migrate all user and group accounts successfully without
> any problem.
> I just started migrating some of the servers to the new domain
> but it keeps
> failing with access denied errors in the logs.
> I have checked dns configuration and all seems to be fine. Any
> ideas why
> admt is failing on the server migrations?
> Thanks

hi

i would suggest you to check the SMB signing of the machines that you
wnat to migrate and you are getting access is denied error with the DC
of the target domain

disable the following group policy
microsoft network server: digitally sign communications (always)

on the target Domain’s DC and on the member servers that you want
migrate

---
Nitin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Server-Migration-Admt-ftopict404489.html