Replacing Windows 2000 GC with 2003 GC

We currently have a Windows 2000 Server in a remote location that needs
replacing. We are a Windows 2003 domain. I can not upgrade the 2000
server to 2003 because it is so old, and it only has an 8g harddrive.
Yes, it's still in production. Here is what I need to accomplish, by
the way, it's 5 hours away from me and I have no one in that location
to help. I need to replace that windows 2000 server with 2003 leaving
it's name the same. I've read a few postings but I wasn't sure because
I replacing and "upgrading" the OS would it cause any problems?
Any advice I would greatly apprecaite.
thanks

"" wrote:
> We currently have a Windows 2000 Server in a remote location
> that needs
> replacing. We are a Windows 2003 domain. I can not upgrade the
> 2000
> server to 2003 because it is so old, and it only has an 8g
> harddrive.
> Yes, it's still in production. Here is what I need to
> accomplish, by
> the way, it's 5 hours away from me and I have no one in that
> location
> to help. I need to replace that windows 2000 server with 2003
> leaving
> it's name the same. I've read a few postings but I wasn't sure
> because
> I replacing and "upgrading" the OS would it cause any
> problems?
> Any advice I would greatly apprecaite.
> thanks

You have the following possibilities if you don’t want to upgrade

* Demote the DC/GC to a member server, remove it from the domain and
install the new server and promote it to a DC

* Install the new server and promte it to a DC and GC. Transfer
everything from the old DC to the new DC. Transfer FSMO roles if
needed. Demote the old DC and remove from the domain. As your domain
still is NOT at Domain Functional Level Windows 2003 (you still have
Windows 2000 DCs) you cannot rename the DC using the NETDOM tool.
However, independent the domain/forest level you can rename a DC
through the GUI. See the articles for how to do that.

How can I rename my Windows 2003 Domain Controllers?
http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_controller_rename.htm

Rename a domain controller
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/aad1169a-f0d2-47d5-b0ea-989081ce62be.mspx

Domain Controller Rename