Windows 2000 DC's and Windows 2003 Domain

Once I have upgraded my domain to windows 2003, can I still add new 2000 DC's
to it ? I know this is probably not best practise, but there is a reason for
this. I just need to know whether technically this will cause any issues or
not.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 windows 2003 domain

    "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Once I have upgraded my domain to windows 2003, can I still add new 2000
    DC's
    > to it ?

    Yes as long as you stay in a compatible Domain "mode".

    > I know this is probably not best practise, but there is a reason for
    > this. I just need to know whether technically this will cause any issues
    or
    > not.

    It is a perfectly acceptable practice.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    "" wrote:
    > Once I have upgraded my domain to windows 2003, can I still
    > add new 2000 DC's
    > to it ? I know this is probably not best practise, but there
    > is a reason for
    > this. I just need to know whether technically this will cause
    > any issues or
    > not.

    As long as the forest functional Level is set to Windows 2000 and the
    domain functional level is set to Windows 2000 mixed or Windows 2000
    Native you will be able to add Windows 2000 DCs.

    If you increase the domain/forest functional level to Windows 2003 you
    will NOT be able to add Windows 2000 DCs

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Windows-2000-DC-Windows-2003-Domain-ftopict404540.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1340451

    "" wrote:
    > Once I have upgraded my domain to windows 2003, can I still
    > add new 2000 DC's
    > to it ? I know this is probably not best practise, but there
    > is a reason for
    > this. I just need to know whether technically this will cause
    > any issues or
    > not.

    Hi Please

    please check that if your domain mode is still windows 2000
    and if it is still windows 2000 domain then you can add any domain
    controller of windows 2000
    and if is windows 2003 native then you can not add domain controller
    having windows 2000 installed on it

    ---
    Nitin

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Windows-2000-DC-Windows-2003-Domain-ftopict404540.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1343227

Windows Server 2003 Windows 2000 Domain Active Directory Windows